• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Is K showing anything new at CES 2015?

A 4K Player is planned for in 2015. There have been no additional details released.

Jim

Yes, of course, no reason they wouldn't, Server's only hold bits of data, they have no playback function. This is no different than moving from DVD to Blu-ray, the only change was to the Players.

Jim

Since Croptop posted the salient info, I can say that Kaleidescape DID have people at CES in a private suite showing a demo of pre-production 4K players. I was at CES and tried to get an invite to see it, but was unsuccessful. (those of you who have been around this forum for a while won't be surprised! ;) )

I hope we don't have to wait 'til October for the new 4K player! Tell me it will be much sooner...

Hopefully they'll drop before October. If they had demos, albeit private, they must be at least at the beta level.

4K UI... Please tell me this is the case- 4k cover art and native 4k menus... How amazing would that look on a 4k tv!!

Winston Churchill 1899. "Individual Muslims may show splendid qualities, but the influence of the religion paralyses the social development of those who follow it. No stronger retrograde force exists in the world

This is amazing. Even more amazing is that this hasn't been published long before now.

CHURCHILL ON ISLAM Unbelievable, but the speech below was written in 1899.
(Check Wikipedia - The River War). The attached short speech from Winston Churchill, was delivered by him in 1899 when he was a young soldier and journalist. It probably sets out the current views of many, but expresses in the wonderful Churchillian turn of phrase and use of the English language, of which he was a past master. Sir Winston Churchill was, without doubt, one of the greatest men of the late 19th and 20th centuries. He was a brave young soldier, a brilliant journalist, an extraordinary politician and statesman, a great war leader and British Prime Minister, to whom the Western world must be forever in his debt.

He was a prophet in his own time. He died on 24th January 1965, at the grand old age of 90 and,after a lifetime of service to his country, was accorded a State funeral.

HERE IS THE SPEECH:
"How dreadful are the curses which Mohammedanism lays on its votaries! Besides the fanatical frenzy, which is as dangerous in a man as hydrophobia in a dog, there is this fearful fatalistic apathy. The effects are apparent in many countries, improvident habits, slovenly systems of agriculture, sluggish methods of commerce, and insecurity of property exist wherever the followers of the Prophet rule or live. A degraded sensualism deprives this life of its grace and refinement, the next of its dignity and sanctity. The fact that in Mohammedan law every woman must belong to some man as his absolute property, either as a child, a wife, or a concubine, must delay the final extinction of slavery until the faith of Islam has ceased to be a great power among men. Individual Muslims may show splendid qualities, but the influence of the religion paralyses the social development of those who follow it.
No stronger retrograde force exists in the world. Far from being moribund, Mohammedanism is a militant and proselytizing faith. It has already spread throughout Central Africa, raising fearless warriors at every step; and were it not that Christianity is sheltered in the strong arms of science, the science against which it had vainly struggled, the civilization of modern Europe might fall, as fell the civilization of ancient Rome."
Sir Winston Churchill; (Source: The River War, first edition, Vol II, pages 248-250 London).

Churchill saw it coming.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I don't know what this post had to do with the thread, but Churchill was the man. I believe my favorite quote from him was a retort to an insult:

Lady Astor said to Churchill, "If you were my husband, I'd poison your tea," to which he responded, "Madam, if you were my wife, I'd drink it!"

Also interesting a quote from Australia a few years back:

Muslims who want to live under Islamic Sharia law were told on Wednesday to get out of Australia , as the government targeted radicals in a bid to head off potential terror attacks.

Separately, Gillard angered some Australian Muslims on Wednesday by saying she supported spy agencies monitoring the nation?s mosques.

Quote: ?IMMIGRANTS, NOT AUSTRALIANS, MUST ADAPT. Take It Or Leave It.

?I am tired of this nation worrying about whether we are offending some individual or their culture. Since the terrorist attacks on Bali , we have experienced a surge in patriotism by the majority of Australians. ?This culture has been developed over two centuries of struggles, trials and victories by millions of men and women who have sought freedom? We speak mainly ENGLISH, not Spanish, Lebanese, Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, Russian, or any other language. Therefore, if you wish to become part of our society . Learn the language!?

?Most Australians believe in God. This is not some Christian, right wing, political push, but a fact, because Christian men and women, on Christian principles, founded this nation, and this is clearly documented It is certainly appropriate to display it on the walls of our schools. If God offends you, then I suggest you consider another part of the world as your new home, because God is part of our culture. ?We will accept your beliefs, and will not question why. All we ask is that you accept ours, and live in harmony and peaceful enjoyment with us.?

?This is OUR COUNTRY, OUR LAND, and OUR LIFESTYLE, and we will allow you every opportunity to enjoy all this. But once you are done complaining, whining, and griping about Our Flag, Our Pledge, Our Christian beliefs, or Our Way of Life, I highly encourage you take advantage of one other great Australian freedom, ?THE RIGHT TO LEAVE?.?

?If you aren?t happy here then LEAVE. We didn?t force you to come here. You asked to be here. So accept the country YOU accepted.?

So refresh my memory...when Bluray rolled out, was there a lot of choices in the discs immediately? I keep thinking that the Kstore will provide an upgrade path to uhd. I remember boxing up my DVDs and giving them away cause I knew I wanted the higher quality. How nice would it be to upgrade my current collection for a couple bucks each!?!

Blu-ray was initially slow in the general marketplace, as expected with such transitions, but quickly increased in weekly releases as more BR Player's hit the market. Blu-ray as a format was available long before it was supported by K with BR capable Players. I think I probably had about 700 BR discs in my collection that had to be played back on an Oppo Player until K released BR Players. There were several reasons for the delay in BR support from K, one often quoted reason was not being sure BR would actually matter (we now know it does), and the other had to do with the then very difficult licensing requirements for a manufacturer to build BR Players (I suspect, but don't know, that K's active litigation "may" have been a factor as well, but that's 100% speculation on my part, and in any case that doesn't matter anymore).

The Store has been open less than a year, and offered BR quality downloads from the beginning IIRC. The list of available HD offerings in the Store is growing quickly. Given that Sony is already in the Store, and they appear to be leading the way in 4K content releases, I would expect to see 4K content at some point after 4K Player's are released. (Note: that's my "hope," I have no knowledge that it will happen that quickly.) We'll see!:)

Jim

Sorry about that Josh...

On topic. If you remember BluRay wasn't the only player in the format war to take the reigns from DVD. HD dvd was there leading to confusion in the marketplace as to which would be supreme. Consumers were hesitant to choose sides and potentionally loose money choosing incorrectly (remember Betamax?) It was three years 2006-2008 before Toshiba gave up the ghost on the format. After that, with Bluray being the winner, a niche product like Kscape could put their efforts into HD content. Everyone here knows it took a few more years to get our new players, but it was certainly worth it.

Now that there isn't a format war for the next gen 4k content (that I know of) and with the moment to digital content delivery, of which K has positioned itself very well, it should be a quick(er) move for us. With K even mentioning they would have a solution this year is fantastic!

Can't wait!!

Nice reminder Mike! (My timeline above picks up from the BR win in the format war, and that wasn't a sure thing in the very beginning considering Microsoft was a key player in the HD-DVD camp.) In any case, we have a lot to look forward to in the coming years regards to audio and video improvements. Not only resolution improvements (4k, 8k?, ??), but HDR, and "3D" audio (Auro 3D and Atmos). It should be fun!

(I start the audio improvements in my FL theatre in two weeks. Adding 15 speakers to my current setup, and this requires pulling down all of the acoustic material in the ceiling and walls for installation. Good thing my wife likes AV, thanks to K!:D)

Jim

we have a lot to look forward to in the coming years regards to audio and video improvements. Not only resolution improvements (4k, 8k?, ??), but HDR, and "3D" audio (Auro 3D and Atmos).

Jim

I'm thinking that these inevitable advancements help to secure K's future as a prime source for bit for bit HD and eventually UHD content vs. streaming. Streaming will be outpaced by bandwidth demands for the foreseeable future. As resolution continues to evolve, the delta will get even greater. I guess I'm just trying to convince myself that my K investment will be sound over the long term. If they keep adding studios and get their new players out soon, it will be happy days.

Back