• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Irule and kaleidescape

I'm not familiar with iRule so forgive me if I'm asking odd questions and providing bad advice:

Is the iRule page controlling the Kaleidescape system via IR or control protocol commands?

If you are controlling via IR, then the number pad can still be used to enter PINs for the various levels of Parental Control settings (if used). However, if you are controlling via control protocol commands, then you could use the number pad (and associated letters) to enable/use quick filtering, search and jump on the Movie and Music List and Collections places.

I'm obviously going to have to take a closer look at iRule.

iRule can do both (IR would be via a Global Cache box), but we're talking to it over the network. There's already an iRule module for it, so it's pretty easy. Didn't think about the parental control, but need to implement that soon, yeah.

And it looks like the Indigo home automation suite might be the *perfect* thing to use as the middle-man server between Kapp and a home theater setup to get volume to work. It's $150 for a full license and needs an OSX machine to run on, but that's what we use anyway so it might just be killer. Their remote app doesn't look nearly as good as iRule, but their server glue stuff looks good. It'll do Python or AppleScript if you need generic scripting languages, but with what it has built in and including the available generic network module as well as a Global Cache module, I think it'll be pretty easy to make it handle what you need. Sounds like global expression matching on the Kscape output right to "send this IR command here" is the level of programming you'd have to do.

--Donnie

Quick update...we've got Indigo installed and talking to the kscape. Still working on making it send the right thing to the Global Cache, but it looks very promising.

--Donnie

Yep, have it working great. I already had iRule controlling my volume, so this was simply a case of setting up Indigo to listen on the Kscape servers output for the proper volume change request and then sending that request on the same way iRule would do it in your system. Wasn't too hard at all to make work.

--Donnie

Was this using the volume control in the Kaleidescape app or do you have to come out of the Kaleidescape app to adjust volume
Sorry if dumb question
Thanks Neale

Yes. I have both....I can control Kscape and volume using iRule, but obviously my Kscape control is a little more limited than the Kapp. But now in the Kapp I can change volume and control the Kscape, too.

--Donnie

Back