• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

iPhone App - BETA

steelman1991

Just got my download of the iPhone App. Initial impressions are that it's very slick.

Decided to try it out and purchased "Solo - A Star Wars Story" - too easy :) this app could cost me a small fortune - purely on convenience. With the PC and/or iPad I had to get up and get those which at times had the effect of delaying purchases, my phone is by my side all the time, so no excuses ;):)

Derek

One thing I did not expect is that the Beta kOS upgrade to allow the iPhone app also enables playing of store trailers from your Strato. This is a really nice addition!

I was hoping that the app would allow K owners to to rate movies as I trust this subset of movie watchers to highlight movies with great video and audio. But I don’t see any way to do this.

John

I was hoping that the app would allow K owners to to rate movies as I trust this subset of movie watchers to highlight movies with great video and audio. But I don’t see any way to do this.
John

Yep... I've asked for the same thing. And you're right, the new app makes it even more desirable that we have ability to put ratings/reviews. I hope they listen...

I have it running on one of my iPads. It seems to work well, but the graphics are not as good as a native iPad app, as I would expect. I have not tested all of it yet, but overall I am very pleased.

Wayne

Not sure if the iPhone Beta app has search of my library capabilities - like we have in the iPad App.
In the iPad app you can type the name of a movie in the search box and if the movie is in your library it shows up and you can click to play.
That is a feature I love in the iPad App..

Last edited:
Ok- I brought this up at CEDIA and after messing around with it I still stand by this request- there must be a button to hit and seitch to at cross-click style control rather than swiping to navigate the titles.

Hi everybody, thanks for the feedback.

Let me address a couple of questions:

-> iPad: yes, the app will run on an iPad, but it's designed for an iPhone so it runs in the iPad's compatibility mode that basically just blows up the interface to the iPad screen.

-> Local library browsing: the app is designed to browse the movie store, and to give you the ability to navigate the onscreen display using the remote feature. It's not intended to be a "second screen," at least at this time. The existing iPad app is still available and can be used for this functionality. I'm interested to hear people's use cases for the "second screen" functionality in the phone.

-> Alternate remote control navigation: if what you're looking for is a "D-pad" style of navigation (up/down/right/left/select), you can actually accomplish this with the touch pad. If you tap near the edges of the touch pad, those taps are treated in the same way as arrow taps would be on a D-pad, and obviously tapping towards the center is treated as select.

I think the app is great, but even more with the latest software that goes with it. The movie titles screen now has a specific feel and locks into movies while scrolling even with my control system. Push right x times and you move exactly that many times. No more overshooting the movie title and having to go back. When you sign up for the beta you also get the download of a new kOS. SJ

What control systems work with the iPhone app’s volume button?

It is the same as the iPad app. You will need a third party controller (Crestron, Control4, ...) that can read the IP/RS232 output of the Kscape Player.

I think the app's great, but would like more functionality to search and browse my library. Yes, the fantastic iPad app provides this, but I was hoping for the ability to at least be able to search my library on my phone which I always have with me. Especially as the OSD isn't great, in my opinion, for searching.

How does one get the Beta? I spent an hour on the phone providing input about it, it would be nice to use it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How does one get the Beta? I spent an hour on the phone providing input about it, it would be nice to use it.

Yeah, seems like a bit of an oversight to not invite everyone who had a phone interview. A easy show of appreciation for giving an hour of time would be a thank you email with an invite to the beta.

Yeah, seems like a bit of an oversight to not invite everyone who had a phone interview. A easy show of appreciation for giving an hour of time would be a thank you email with an invite to the beta.

Dear phone interview participants,

There were 12 of you that provided the initial scoping for user behavior and habits in designing our mobile app during May 2018. Shame on us for taking your passion for our products and services for granted. I've requested a small token of appreciation for your time and feedback -- check out your store account. We'll add all of you to the beta list - many of you are already included. We're sorry to have not welcomed you first to try out our Mobile App. We learn by making mistakes.

Cheena

I would like to start by saying how great it is that Cheena has joined into the conversation. I was shocked to see his very first post. When I saw a second one within a week, I was even more blown away. I don't know many CEO's that will take the time to enter into a forum such as ours. I think it's great.

I would also like to give a big thank you to Cheena and the rest of the team at Kaleidescape. I was one of the people interviewed for the new iPhone app. I did it because I absolutely love the product and I am willing to help in their success in any way I can. I'm happy to do it just because it's the right thing to do. That being said, thank you very much for the token of your appreciation. It's in my account on the store and I truly appreciate it. I'm sure that my kids will thank you even more because it seems like 70% of my purchases are for them.

Kaleidescape has been a huge addition to our family. We have literally used it for at least two movies every day for the last six or seven years that we've had it. Being that I have a five year old son with autism, it is an indispensable tool for us to be able to put on a movie to keep him engaged and calm. It just wouldn't be the same to hunt for a shiny disc every time he wanted to change movies. We even use just the songs portion for family fun. But I digress. The point is that we are thankful to K and their staff and products. My family wanted to make sure that I put that out there in light of them sending us some store credit for just an hour of my time. I will use the beta app and help in any way I can. Also, a big thanks to Jim at Cinelife. He has been like a friend to me from the moment I called him to find out about purchasing.

Back