• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

iPad App and Crestron

AdamGT3

How is everyone getting on with the volume control in the app?

I have a Music Player and an M300 and M500 and Crestron.

Within the KScaspe iPad App I can sleect all zones but volume contolr only works with the M500. All others state that volume control not supported by the control system even where the same protocols and modules are used.

Any ideas?

Have you downloaded the loaded the latest update to the Crestron module?

Jim

Yes, have the latest module but volume only works in 1 room, even with a mix of OSD and SATP modules linked to different players.

Okay thanks, I'll let K know.

Jim

Further to this...
I have asked Crestron this question but they have no interest what-so-ever in assisting me.
I want to get Kaleidescape App volume control working in my installation. I need Crestron hardware to make that happen, to control volume on one device only. Is the Crestron QM-RMC all I need? The volume control device (Krell pre-pro) supports TCP/IP, IR and serial. Is the Crestron SIMPL Windows configuration software available to end users? From what I understand I need to use this software to upload the Kaleidescape module to the hardware and then configure the volume control/feedback commands that the pre-pro understands. Can somebody point me in the right direction here (because Crestron has no interest in assisting).

Further to this...
I have asked Crestron this question but they have no interest what-so-ever in assisting me.
I want to get Kaleidescape App volume control working in my installation. I need Crestron hardware to make that happen, to control volume on one device only. Is the Crestron QM-RMC all I need? The volume control device (Krell pre-pro) supports TCP/IP, IR and serial. Is the Crestron SIMPL Windows configuration software available to end users? From what I understand I need to use this software to upload the Kaleidescape module to the hardware and then configure the volume control/feedback commands that the pre-pro understands. Can somebody point me in the right direction here (because Crestron has no interest in assisting).

Not sure what exactly you mean here, but it sounds as though you think Crestron equipment is required in a system that otherwise has ZERO Crestron *just* to get volume working in the K app. If that's what you're saying, that's wrong. I have it working on systems using Indigo as my middleman server (Indigo is a home automation package that runs on a Mac). It's possible to make it work with other solutions, too.

And no, I don't believe there's any Crestron software available to end users. You need a Crestron dealer to program it for you. That's why I no longer have any Crestron hardware (and I used to have a LOT of it).

--Donnie

I was to understand that to get volume control working in the Kaleidescape App you needed either a Crestron, AMX or Control4 box of some sort as a gateway between the App and the device controlling the volume. I'm open to any suggestion to get this working (I don't use the App because volume control doesn't work).

I was to understand that to get volume control working in the Kaleidescape App you needed either a Crestron, AMX or Control4 box of some sort as a gateway between the App and the device controlling the volume. I'm open to any suggestion to get this working (I don't use the App because volume control doesn't work).

Yes, you need a middleman. But the OP seemed to imply it HAD to be Crestron when it does not.

What you need is anything that can listen to text string output on a TCP port and then fire off a command to control your volume on your particular hardware.

I already had Macs sitting around, so Indigo on a Mac was my easiest solution. I currently use iRule on iOS devices as my main control mechanism, but since iRule is *just* an iOS app and thus isn't *alive* on the control device that's running Kapp, you need the middleman. Indigo is actually a LOT of overkill for this. A talented hacker using open source tools COULD write a dedicated little app in 20 minutes to tackle this that would work on a Mac, Linux, or Linux on a little Pi device. I needed Indigo for other things anyway, and I'm only a "semi-talented hacker", so it would have taken me a lot longer.

Roomie Remote has an "Agent" app now. It won't *currently* handle this middleman task, but I believe it's not far away from being able to. It only runs on a Mac as of now, but they've talked about making a Pi version of Agent, too.

--Donnie

...What you need is anything that can listen to text string output on a TCP port and then fire off a command to control your volume on your particular hardware.

I can already do this with Remotescape App and GlobalCache. I'd like to be able to do it with K App as well. Without either Crestron, AMX or Control 4 drivers talking to K App I didn't think it could be done.

I can confirm that enabling volume control in the iPad app does not specifically require use of the Crestron, AMX, or Control4 modules/drivers. It's just *easier* of you use those modules since support for the specific control protocol messages and requests is already programmed into them. But it can certainly be done using other equipment as long as it supports 2-way communication via IP or serial.

However way it can be done I just want to do it, with volume feedback. I can't do volume feedback with Remotescape App. I can't do it with Crestron because they aren't the slightest bit interested in the job, so I need to find another way.

I can already do this with Remotescape App and GlobalCache. I'd like to be able to do it with K App as well. Without either Crestron, AMX or Control 4 drivers talking to K App I didn't think it could be done.

Well, I've just told you that I do it using Indigo. *shrug*

--Donnie

I looked at that but I didn't see a plugin for my Krell processor? I don't have a Mac server to run it on either, just a Windows PC that is always on.

How is your Krell controlled? If it's IP, then most likely you can control it with the generic network control. If it's IR, you just use a Global Cache.

But it won't run on a PC, so that's a problem. Buy a Mac. :)

--Donnie

Sounds like the OP has some Crestron hardware, and maybe needs some love from a programmer?

brodricj,
You need a control system, it seems. At least, that would be a good use of the funds that you would otherwise spend on a Mac. For about the same price, you could get an RTI XP-6, an iPad license, and programming for the one zone, anyway. It could be expanded to include more zones, as well, depending on your hardware and desires.

Actually I abandoned out of the Crestron option after contacting the local Creston distributor. They had no interest what-so-ever in selling me Crestron anything to make this work. So at this stage my K-App for iPad volume control is not working with the Krell. Remotescape for iPad volume control works, Pronto Pro volume control works, the OEM remote works, but I really would like the K-App to control volume. This is the main reason why I rarely use the K-App, because the volume control is not configured to work with the Krell (Remotescape volume control was very easy to DIY configure, which is why it is my control system of choice).

Back