• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Internet bandwidth limits

Transepoch

ISP bandwidth limits have come up a couple times in the last five years, but just to give others a heads-up: Comcast made a major push on expanding their 1T/month limit effective 1/1/2021.

I plan to go back through the monthly bills to double-check if somehow I just missed it, but the first I saw anything about this nasty little change was when they texted me to say I had already burned-through 75% for this month. When it last came up in 2019 they were not doing it in this area, and we couldn't even see our usage, so going from that to overage imminent does not make me happy. (Step two of the plan involves going through and making sure copies of everything is downloaded from the store, so I don't have to taint any month after the February grace-period, which they claim will be automatically credited back in March.)

Was that Comcast "business," or Comcast's Xfinity (Residential)? I ask because I use Comcast business in my FL house and have never had any download restrictions, nor have I ever received any notices on usage limits.

Jim

It was the residential/Xfinity service. More permissive fair use (including less port-blocking) are hallmarks of the "business class" service from providers.

It's been too long since I had a chat with their loyalty department, so will need to make sure they throw that in there. Just wanted to warn anyone who may not be as far through the process of collecting their holiday sale haul.

I too opted to go unlimited with their x1 service. Cannot recall the exact terms, but I think by doing their xfi advantage it provided unlimited data.

I subscribe to the Xfinity residential package with 1GB speeds and pay an extra $30 a month for unlimited data. Due to sales pricing on the K store along with a few other K downloads (to get better audio from HD over HDR :cry:), I hit 7TB in November and 9.2TB in December (a typical month sees about 3TB).

Without the unlimited data package, there is a charge of $10 for each 50GB over 1.2TB (not to exceed an additional $100). The unlimited package is worth it right now, but it will be interesting to see what Xfinity and others do with data caps and fees in the coming months/years as quality continues to improve and file sizes continue to increase.

Andy

Back