• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Integrated Disc Vault Information and Release Date

Calm-One

Has anyone received any updated information on features, pricing, pictures of the unit, confirmed street date, etc for the upcoming Integrated Disc Vault (IDV)?

To start the thread out:

"The Integrated Disc Vault is a new Kaleidescape component that has the capacity to hold 300 Blu-ray Discs. Like a server or a player it connects directly to your Ethernet network. Besides importing discs and verifying Blu-ray Disc presence, the Integrated Disc Vault incorporates an M-Class player that can play movies and music from a server. It is a 5-RU device that can be mounted in a 20-inch-deep rack. U.S. MSRP will be no more than $6,000. We anticipate that this product will be available in June of 2011; however, there is still some uncertainty in this date."

Thanks

I spoke with my dealer about the IDV about 2 weeks ago. No new information.... Hopefully as the anticipated release date gets closer we may hear something.

From K's FAQ

http://www.kaleidescape.com/faq/?zoom_highlight=integrated+vault
What is the disc vault for Blu-ray Discs?
A:
Kaleidescape requires the disc to be present when playing Blu-ray content because that's one of the ways we can fully comply with the copy control agreements we have signed. This means that the Blu-ray Disc must be in the tray of an M500 Player or a disc vault when you play the movie.

There are two disc-vault solutions to enable Blu-ray movies to be played without having to touch a disc: (1) the Modular Disc Vault based on a third-party mechanism, and (2) the Integrated Disc Vault designed and developed entirely by Kaleidescape. Either disc vault can be used to import Blu-ray Discs and verify that they are present. The Integrated Disc Vault can also be used to import CDs and DVDs. Neither vault can play discs directly. When your Blu-ray Discs are stored in a vault, playback of a Blu-ray movie from any M-Class player works just like the playback of a DVD movie; the physical disc itself is not read or even accessed upon playback because its contents are played from a copy located on a Kaleidescape server. Any number of disc vaults (of either type) can be added to a Kaleidescape System to accommodate a large collection of Blu-ray Discs. These two vaults differ in capacity, appearance, physical size, usability, and pricing. With both vaults, discs are inserted and removed through a vertical slot in the front. Both of these projects are proceeding on schedule.

Modular Disc Vault
The Modular Disc Vault is a third-party 100-disc carousel (with Kaleidescape's firmware modifications), which is now available for purchase from Kaleidescape. The Modular Disc Vault must be directly connected to an M300 or M500 Player via a USB cable.

An M-Class player can play movies and music from a server while it controls the Modular Disc Vault. Any number of Modular Disc Vaults may be added to a Kaleidescape System, but each must be connected to its own M-Class player. Any M-Class player in the system can play any movie in a Modular Disc Vault, not just the player connected via USB.

The Modular Disc Vault is available now.

See www.kaleidescape.com/products/disc-vaults/modular/.

See it in action at www.kaleidescape.com/go/modular-disc-vault-cedia-expo-2010-video.

Integrated Disc Vault
The Integrated Disc Vault is a new Kaleidescape component that can hold 320 Blu-ray Discs. Like a server or a player it connects directly to your Ethernet network. Besides importing discs and verifying Blu-ray Disc presence, the Integrated Disc Vault incorporates an M-Class player that can play movies and music from a server.

We anticipate that this product will be available in June of 2011; however, there is still some uncertainty in this date.

I note that here they say the IDV can hold 320 discs and the June 11 date is still uncertain. I don't have anything to share but when I read a manufacturer say a date is uncertain, my head tells me to think 1 full quarter into the future- and that would be September. This way if it comes out sooner, it feels like a nice surprise :)

I think that's good advice from Jerry (don't expect it until later in the year, and be happy if it comes sooner).

As a dealer, and beta tester, I can only add that the last update I received a few weeks ago indicated K is still aiming for a mid-year 2011 release for the IDV. It is always possible, as true with any manufacturer that needs inputs from other manufacturers, that the date could be pushed back. June 2011 was always just a "target" date, but we are still hopeful that K can make that date. We'll see!:)

Final pricing has not been determined, but we have been told it should not be more than $6K. (Before anyone starts posting comments about pricing, please keep in mind that final cost has not been determined, AND the IDV will provide a lot more in terms of storage and operational capability than the equivalent MDV/Player combinations currently required to get the same amount of storage.)

Jim

I am now hearing from a reputable dealer that we are 60 days out on FCS for the IDV; I had heard in the same conversation of a list price of around $6K USD.

I have read in other forums that some are hearing about a September FCS.

Is this just more rumors and lies or is there a real fire behind this smoke (grin)?

I am now hearing from a reputable dealer that we are 60 days out on FCS for the IDV; I had heard in the same conversation of a list price of around $6K USD.

I have read in other forums that some are hearing about a September FCS.

Is this just more rumors and lies or is there a real fire behind this smoke (grin)?

Here is a FACT. Everything you hear is a RUMOR until its release date is actually announced by Kaleidescape and no one else.

HAHA. True true. I have no idea but I would suspect that we will know something within the next several months simply because thats the time frame we all heard.

Back