• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Indiana Jones collection

Okay, cool, thanks for clarifying. I thought it might be something like that, and that's a good plan to do some content loading while you're on a nice wired connection. So, yes, my reply above explains why you're seeing different download speeds to the Terra and the Strato even though the network is the same.

Regarding copying content from the Terra to the Strato, the answer is "sort of, but probably not what you want." We have a replication feature that is intended to copy all of the content from one system or server to a new system, as you would do if you were replacing hardware. But since that's the intended use case, it's an all-or nothing process, so going from a Terra to a Strato may not work out very well, if the Terra has more content on it than you want (or will fit) on the Strato.

Given the download speeds that you're seeing on your network, it seems clear that the Strato is not constrained in its download speed by your Internet. Even if you were copying from the Terra to the Strato on the LAN, I don't think it would go appreciably faster. Replication also takes the source server effectively offline for the duration of the replication (so that things aren't changing as it's trying to do the copy), so you wouldn't be able to watch any movies from the Terra during the replication.

What you can do to make things go as fast as possible is to not interact with the Strato at all while it's downloading. If you're navigating the onscreen display or using the browser interface or whatever, the player will actually throttle its download speed so that it has enough CPU performance available to keep the UI responsive. You can keep track of the download progress on the movie store web site or using the mobile app. Those will not cause the player to throttle, because that's all coming from our online services. Note that the Terra does not throttle downloads in this fashion, because it has more CPU power available.

I hope this helps!

Finally, regarding your pricing question -- the disc-to-digital and digital-to-digital upgrade pricing are often different by varying amounts, just due to the way those offers work. Based on the pricing you saw, it sounds like you no longer have the cataloged discs in your system, so it was a digital-to-digital upgrade.

The only reason I didn’t have the discount from the cataloged disc is because I took the Blu-ray offer one week before the 4K came out but If I waited one week then it still would’ve been cataloged.
So you were saying if I waited one week I would have save $20?

Also, for the record, thank you for technical explanation above. That is the type of information that I love knowing so I know what to expect to put performance in an accurate expectation.

My pleasure. I'll touch base with you offline regarding the pricing questions.

Back