• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Indiana Jones collection

steelman1991

Looks like there are issues with the above titles. They all present with “captions” on title sequences at various points throughout the films. I have contacted support about the issue and await their response.

Looks like the only one that doesn’t exhibit this issue is Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also interesting is that in John’s write up on Cineluxe, he mentioned the upgrade price was $8.59…….my price was $9.99.

Looks like it's enabling a strange closed caption every time you play the movie.

It actually has 7 different options:

English (deaf)
French
Spanish
English (default)
French(default)
Spanish (default)

It's enabling English(default) when you play it ever time Crystal skull doesn't have that option.

If you select no captions, they go away.

Kevin D.

So further experimenting, (default) captions translate written words of screen, but leave the native dialog. The first three should not even have English(default) as an option, it's completely redundant.

Also interesting is that in John’s write up on Cineluxe, he mentioned the upgrade price was $8.59…….my price was $9.99.
Howdy! Thanks for reading the review! :) Just to show, here was my upgrade pricing. Maybe it was because I already owned the BD quality download? Crystal Skull was even a better deal at $4.92! :)

Already Owned​

Purchased in 4K HDR on June 8th, 2021 at 7:32pm EST for $8.59.
Purchased in Blu-ray quality on December 30th, 2020 at 9:05pm EST for $4.14.

DVD to HDR pricing was $8.59 for me. Blu-ray to HDR was $4.92 (had to put the one BR i owned back in the player since i had all ready converted D2D

So further experimenting, (default) captions translate written words of screen, but leave the native dialog. The first three should not even have English(default) as an option, it's completely redundant.

Unless you're deaf.....

Jim

Unless you're deaf.....

Jim

Blind maybe if they have a device that reads captions?

The captions I'm talking about literally put the same English words under the English words on the film. It doesn't caption any dialog.

Got it, thanks Kev....I have not had time to check it myself. Obviously something not right there, I'm sure it will be corrected.

Jim

Howdy! Thanks for reading the review! :) Just to show, here was my upgrade pricing. Maybe it was because I already owned the BD quality download? Crystal Skull was even a better deal at $4.92! :)

Already Owned​

Purchased in 4K HDR on June 8th, 2021 at 7:32pm EST for $8.59.
Purchased in Blu-ray quality on December 30th, 2020 at 9:05pm EST for $4.14.

Maybe I need to contact K and forward these details……

here’s how my purchases were noted

Already Owned​

Purchased in 4K HDR on June 9th, 2021 at 7:05am CST for $9.99.
Purchased in Blu-ray quality on February 24th, 2020 at 5:45pm CST for $5.99.

Maybe I need to contact K and forward these details……

here’s how my purchases were noted

Already Owned​

Purchased in 4K HDR on June 9th, 2021 at 7:05am CST for $9.99.
Purchased in Blu-ray quality on February 24th, 2020 at 5:45pm CST for $5.99.

This looks correct. The only way to get a lower price is to have the DVD or BR disc cataloged/loaded on your system.

John

Just received this reply from Kaleidescape Support

“We found that the studio had set the English subtitle track as the Default subtitle track in this version of those titles. We were able to adjust that in our metadata which will pushed out shortly in an upcoming movie guide update. After that is downloaded (automatically) on your system, the erroneous overlays will no longer appear. No action is needed on your part.

Thanks again for the heads up.”

Derek

DVD to HDR pricing was $8.59 for me. Blu-ray to HDR was $4.92 (had to put the one BR i owned back in the player since i had all ready converted D2D
HD>HDR was initially still at $25 when I checked after the collection sale email went out. Glad to see it's been fixed since.

I have a Terra Server and a Stratos S. No matter what I do the stratos S downloads slower. They both hardwired into the same router and I even swapped cables to make sure. The stratos is slower. The first 3 pics are from he Terra Server. The last pic is from the Stratos S

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-06-16 at 8.32.51 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-06-16 at 8.32.51 PM.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 17
  • Screen Shot 2021-06-16 at 8.32.57 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-06-16 at 8.32.57 PM.png
    2 MB · Views: 16
  • Screen Shot 2021-06-16 at 8.33.16 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-06-16 at 8.33.16 PM.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 15
  • Screen Shot 2021-06-16 at 8.33.28 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-06-16 at 8.33.28 PM.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 16
Yes, that is normal. Stratos with memory download slower than Terra servers. This is a hardware limitation.

John

Two questions:

1.) Why would it be a hardware limitation as a necessary? I am not debating that it is happening. I just would like to know why?

2.) Is there a way to copy movies from a Terra server to a Strato S?

Also for the record, I had the Indiana Jones blu ray discs cataloged on an alto. I bought the HD quality for 3.14 on a disc to digital deal. I had to pay 9.99 for the Indiana Jones 4k HDR versions. I didn't get the deals mentioned above. I thought for sure, it would have been less because it seems that every disc to digital deal is 3.14 for the HD version and 4.92 for the HDR version if available. I got to pay extra. Yeaaahhhh! Insert sarcasm.

The performance difference you’re seeing is because the Strato is running on a chip that is a set-top box chip. Terra’s CPU is significantly more powerful, and is therefore able to support faster I/O to the hard drives.

May I ask why you have two separate systems connected to the same router? (This will help me answer your second question)

I have two separate systems because they are in two separate locations. the reason they are on the same networks for a short time is because I can connect the stratos S wired to the router in the current network but where it is usually it will be over WiFi.
Therefore I wanted to download 100 to 200 movies through the wire connection before I moved it back to its other location in another house.

Back