• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Importing Burned CDs -- frowned upon?

AnOutsider

Before the air is filled with a collective gasp and alarm bells begin to sound as people descend with fingers waggling disapprovingly, hear me out.

I've always grabbed single tracks from Amazon.com when I don't want to hear a whole CD, but lately, I've been buying whole albums digitally. This is mainly because I've been taking advantage of Amazon's cloud player (buy a track or album, it's stored online and you can stream or even download from many devices).

So now, instead of deciding which albums to buy digitally and which to get a physical copy of, I think I want to move to just getting the digital copies and then burning a copy of the MP3s to CD to import into Kscape. This will allow me to have my latest music at home, work and on the go without having to bring the CDs with me (or SD cards) and importing at various locations (including Kscape).

Now, I know that I can TECHNICALLY do this, but is it frowned upon?

I vote no because you already paid for the content and the format it ends up in is not copy protected. You are not giving it to anyone else and it doesn't seem to be any different than if you had the CD.

Of course I don't get a vote in this debate so my vote doesn't really count but thats my opinion. :)

I don't think it is frowned upon.

From Kaleidescape Faq..

"To get MP3s or other music files from your computer to your Kaleidescape System, write an audio CD with songs as CD tracks then import the burned CD onto the Kaleidescape System."

I have purchased all my music so I cannot think of any reason that I should not store it on my server... seems like a safe place to keep downloaded music. Hopefully I will be able to keep or download High Definition music onto my server in the future.

So I vote no as well, but I don't get a vote either.

"democracy's our style
unless you are against us
then it's prison without trial" (The Glimmer Twins)

The only requirement I'm aware of is that "you own the content" you are importing. The only issue, if there is one, is what constitutes "ownership?" Almost all media purchased these days comes with licensing conditions that are deemed accepted by the purchaser, so I would think it is those terms that control what can or cannot be done with the media you purchased. K's requirement for importing is only that you "own" the media (have the right to imort it).

Jim

Thanks guys! Jim, I think we should be fine since Amazon sells the MP3s outright -- so I can burn, transfer to iPod, Zune whatever.

This cloud player is pretty cool. Can't wait to see the tablet they announce tomorrow

Back