• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Import Priority

Noah Winter

Tomorrow I am to receive my first Kaleidescape equipment, a grand fathered 3U Server with 8 6TB drives and a M700 Disc Changer. I have more discs than slots in the Changer but plenty of Hard Drive space for now. My question is am I thinking correctly as to Import Priority and thought I would see if anyone experienced in such had any suggestions. My thoughts were:
1. Burn all the DVDs (about 500)
2. Burn those Blu-rays that have had some problems playing, like freezing for a few seconds, due to being poorly written like BSG, some seasons of Archer, etc as they may play better from the hard drive
3. Import all Blu-rays that show up as maybe in the store (looks to be about 30% of my movies. I have a lot of Criterions and Anime which are not in the store) These won't take up slots
4. Disney Blu-rays because when the Premier system is combined with the Encore maybe next year I may not be able to import Disney after that

Does this seem reasonable? Any tips for when first importing a bunch of discs anyone can think of?

Thanks for any recommendations. Looking forward to joining the ecosystem.

All Blu-Rays "take up slots." They rip, but they have to be in the vault to be able to play. You can remove some if you have too many and don't want everything alive all the time, but they won't play unless the disc is in the vault.

But yeah, you can fill the vault with DVDs, let them rip, empty them all, and repeat. Once done, then fill with Blu-rays. Start with the things that exist in the store that you plan to upgrade with download copies, then you *can* remove those discs once you own the download version. Then you can fill with the rest of your Blu-rays.

--Donnie

As Donnie mentions, the BDs will have to either be upgraded to D2D or be in the vault to play, so I would leave the top 250-or so that you are most likely to want to have available to play last, so that you won't need to put them back in later. I would also probably move #2 down to the bottom, so that they can take their time without feeling like they are holding-up the works.

Thanks Donnie and Transepoch. I did know about the need to keep the Blu-rays in the vault, just poor sentence construction on my part. I started with my double sided DVDs to see if they could be imported and after ejecting side A and flipping the discs they imported side B fine. I thought it was especially cool for a series like Miami Vice that I can just select the episode regardless of which disk it came from originally. Another importing priority I think is movies or series with more than one disc.

Unfortunately, one of the series with 3 discs is unknown by Kaleidescape, any way to get them combined into one file or cover art tile on the menu? I tried a couple of things like entering the same title and UPC code but that did not work.

And what is the deal with the "Cover" view on the IPAD app, even when the Settings are set to alphabetical the covers just appear to be random on the IPAD app? I don't see how this is useful but maybe it is just eye candy and your supposed to just use the list mode? Or something really obvious I am missing.

Thanks again.

Unfortunately, one of the series with 3 discs is unknown by Kaleidescape, any way to get them combined into one file or cover art tile on the menu? I tried a couple of things like entering the same title and UPC code but that did not work.

It usually takes two business-days for UPC codes to pop the mini-data. At that point, they will likely combine into a single entry. If for some reason you didn't import them in order, make sure to include the disc # in your temporary description, to increase the chances they will plunk them into the right spot in the Play Disc sub-menu.

Thanks Transepoch that is a good tip. I just read the Reference guide on Adding Movies and Music, should have done that first. I corrected the title on that first series but left the disc # in the title so we will see if they can figure it out. I saw another 6 disc series that also needs the UPC code so I will make sure the disc # is entered in the description.

When you state "temporary Description" is this the "Title" field or did you mean the "Synopsis" field?

Thanks.

The title field on that first data entry screen when going in from the import tab. My experience is they will replace it with whatever their data-vendor provides anyway, so I have gotten a lot lazier about what I enter there - which at least makes entry faster :)

Going into the second (more detailed) screen may, or may not, or may partially (never seen a 100% crystal clear statement,) impact your ability to receive the pushed data once it updates. Might make sense to at least let them do their part and then adjust.

Back