• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

I want to remove a drive from my system

iansilv

Hi- I would like to add a 6tb drive to my system but remove two 750gb drives- how can I do this? I do not want to wait for a drive to die and I would like to just get rid of both of the remaining 750s at once.

You would have to replace *each* of the 750 GB drives with a replacement drive. Once drives have been added to a file system, they cannot be removed or the file system will be considered degraded. The failed drives must be replaced so that the number of disks comprising the file system remains the same.

The only way to reduce the disk count in a file system would be by replicating the content of your current set of disks onto a completely new set of disks but this would require you to replace *all* of your drives not just the two drives you are wanting to replace.

There are certain, rare, exceptions to this. For example, if a drive has never had any user data written to it fails then it would simply be removed from the file system without degrading the system (and available space would shrink by the amount of the failed drive). But this is pretty much never the case for systems that have been up and running for a while.

Back