• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

I like these!

Nice find. Seagate still not using Helium even for these drives.

John

Seagate's CEO, Steve Luczo, actually announced the development and 2014 availability of both 8 and 10TB drives back on May 1, 2014.

Who knows when Kaleidescape will get around to upgrading their harddrive offerings? It could be any year now!

In the interim, I'll continue to delay downloading from the K Store until I have the capability to upgrade the 3U server with the larger capacity drives now coming to market.

Wish I could get even a 2TB for my older 5U. Maxed at 1TB, it would seem. These larger drives are certainly something to look forward to. Imagine if someone had told you even two years ago that a 1U server might eventually have 24 or even 30TB of net storage space? That's amazing.

Either way, it usually feels like the bailout scene from South Park.

*inserts blank drive*
*looks at web GUI to verify the drive took & space is available*
...and it's gone.

(I should almost feel glad to be slot-constrained, as it keeps the bleeding to a more manageable pace.)

Well, if you have a 1U, you already have more theoretical max capacity than my entire 5U, so please forgive my world's smallest violin concerto. :D

Not at all, it's the perfect soundtrack to my epic scene of despair each time I get close to having everything imported, only to come up a few discs short (until eventually repeating the process.)

I finally decided this morning that it is a fool's errand to upgrade all the discs one-by-one in my server to 1TB. I would be better off financially just getting a 1U with four 4TB drives and migrating the data over to it. Maybe by the time I am ready to do this, there will be 6TB or 8TB drives available. That would be sweet! Another reason to procrastinate? I'm in.

Back