• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

OFF-TOPIC How to predict discs that are already bookmarked?

Substance

⭐️⭐️PATRON⭐️⭐️
I love the Kaleidescape store (Store). I converted thousands of discs to digital already and I buy a 5 to 10 new titles every week (Yeah I watch a lot of movies:). There is still a ton of movies not on the Store. I have 4x disc servers for these and they are maxed out. I plan to buy a few more disc servers in the coming years.

Out of the 1280 discs I have in servers, about 180 of them aren’t bookmarked. As an experiment, I purchased different editions of the same movies for some of these and to my surprise, some other versions of the same movies were bookmarked. In some case, they were from the same label/distributer and the same edition (special, collectors, director’s cut edition etc.) but different pressings. An earlier pressing of the same movie had bookmarks were as the reprint did not.

I really like the bookmark feature and I subconsciously avoid watching movies without bookmarks. Now there is a solution of course. I can send the discs to Kaleidescape and they can bookmark them. But also it would be nice if there was a constantly updated list of titles which have been bookmarked already. That way, I would try to get those editions, pressing etc. rather than rolling the dice on my new disc purchases.

Perhaps if Kaleidescape could not release a list for us, we could perhaps make a list here? I am curious what others think.

Following up on this. Perhaps I had too many words. I will summarize here. Can we get an updated list of bookmarked discs from Kaleidescape? If we had such a list, we could avoid buying non-bookmarked discs.

I don't think you are going to get anything like this. If even if you did, the list would be VERY long. And while such a list would let you identify titles that are not bookmarked at all.. I don't think it would be a perfect solution to identify un-bookmarked alternate pressings of titles that are bookmarked. If it is any consolation, K usually does not charge you to process alternate pressing discs of titles that they have already bookmarked.

Thanks for your reply and insight. It is good to know Kaleidescape offers some bookmarking free of charge.

I agree the list must be massive and getting updates frequently. At the same time, I believe such a list must exist at Kaleidescape to track what they already bookmarked and what’s in the queue for bookmarking.

There is already a disc search app where you can scan a barcode and it would tell you if that discs is already in your library. Perhaps this app could be easily repurposed for my problem above. Instead of index matching my personal library, it would use the bookmarked discs lookup table.

I predict this would also ease the loan team’s workload too. For instance I have the entire 10 seasons of Stargate SG-1 on DVD. They are all bookmarked. I am considering the newly released Blu-ray boxset with 41 discs but I would only dare it if bookmarked already, otherwise this boxset will cost me $500+. So that’s 41 discs less from the loan teams queue unless someone else can fork the cost.

I guess another way to handle this is organizing group buys here on this site. It’s not fair for someone to pay $100s of dollars in bookmarking fees and then anyone thereafter gets the bookmark update for free. I am willing to take on the burden of packaging/mailing discs to loan team and maybe a few of us can contribute to the fees where in return you don’t need to do the leg work but also end up spending less per bookmarked disc.

I understand it’s still going to be a free service to those after but if we can come up groups of 5-10, that’s much more reasonable per disc and an amount I don’t mind spending even I know others will enjoy it free later. I guess most valuable is someone doing the leg work of packing the discs/art work/ writing the detailed email to loans.

I personally would contribute to discs I don’t currently have but might buy later. I would like to think I am not the only one to feel this way.

I will add my final comment here. Ideally, all these titles make it to the store so we don’t deal with discs. I am only talking about titles not available in the store.

I could see the utility in having the barcode app return a "a version of this title has been bookmarked" response... not that I really shop in-store freestyle like that, but I'm sure I could point it at a picture of a barcode on a website to get the same result.

As someone with a lot of unbookmarked content, I definitely see value in the group-targeted-loaning. However, shouldn't a title already be on their radar at that point for them to acquire and catalog? At that point the only benefit to us placing a bounty on a release is trying to move it up the queue of things to be processed.

I think they bookmark most general releases but nearly none of my arrow titles are bookmarked, only some Criterion are bookmarked, some older general releases are now OOP. I have very little hope for the titles I have that aren’t bookmarked.

Here is a couple links from some past discussion on the subtleties of how discs are identified and how it relates to bookmarking. The issue of alternate pressings seems to me that going by barcode alone is still not enough to definitively know whether a disc has been cataloged. You could have a different pressing of the disc but the same barcode on the outside. With the barcode you could know if the title has been bookmarked for at least one version of the disc. But you would still not know for sure if the version of that particular disc has been cataloged (especially if it is the 8th revision of that disc).

There is an alternative for un-bookmarked disks in that you can create a scene for the whole film rather than just a short clip then you get the option to play scene as well as play disk and in that way you miss having to sit through all the pre film preamble.

In some cases it is possible for the loans@kaleidescape.com people to update the association of multiple pressings of a movie in the movie guide database. You might not need to send them the disc, they can do that remotely.

Back