• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

How to get the movie covers screen to be 2:35 vs 16x9

audioguy123

I have the Strato connected to a Lumagen and then on to my JVC projector. I read what I could on getting this done but not sure how to display the movies covers screen to display at 2:35. (Currently at 16x9). I read something about turning off the vertical stretch on the PJ but hopefully I won't need to do that.

Ideas??

Have you set your Strato's OSD to "CinemaScope 2.35 Letterbox"? And if you're using Lumagen's auto aspect ratio, it doesn't always detect the list view as 2.35 correctly. There's another setting on the Lumagen to tweak. See the post here.

Screen Shot 2021-10-17 at 3.47.14 PM.png

Are you using an anamorphic lens, or are you zooming the projector? If you're using an anamorphic lens, I'd recommend using CinemaScape 2.35 Anamorphic.

The process Wilson told me about worked. I do use an A lens. And the change that Lumagen made for specifically this purpose made it work consistently.

Howdy. Okay, if you are using a lens, I would suggest that you might want to consider switching to CinemaScape Anamorphic. Otherwise, you are leaving resolution on the table.

Howdy. Okay, if you are using a lens, I would suggest that you might want to consider switching to CinemaScape Anamorphic. Otherwise, you are leaving resolution on the table.
From what I can tell, it's still showing the same amount of information, just bigger/taller, right?

From what I can tell, it's still showing the same amount of information, just bigger/taller, right?
I assume that you're looking at the raw output of the player.

CinemaScape Letterbox displays the UI and all content constrained within a 2.37:1 letterboxed area, vertically centered on the screen. (This is 1620 vertical pixels for 4K content.) It's intended for use with systems where the projector is being zoomed so that that letterboxed area fills the 'Scope-aspect screen. If you were to use this mode with an anamorphic lens, then your projector or video processor would have to stretch the image vertically by a factor of 1.33, and then your anamorphic lens would stretch that image horizontally by a factor of 1.33 to fill the screen.

CinemaScape Anamorphic displays the UI and all content within the full video frame of the player (2160 vertical pixels), and then the anamorphic lens stretches horizontally by 1.33 to fill the width of the screen. There is no vertical stretching within the projector or video processor. The Kaleidescape player does vertical stretch only if necessary.

In practical terms, content that is natively 2.35/2.37/2.40 will look basically the same through both of these paths. It was originally 1620 vertical pixels and 3840 horizontal pixels of real resolution, and it still is once you blow it up. The only difference is who is doing the vertical stretch.

But, the onscreen display has the full 2160 pixels of vertical resolution (and 3840 of horizontal). It doesn't have to get squashed down vertically only to have the projector or processor try to stretch it right back out again. Content in taller aspect ratios like 1.85 or 1.78 also retain their full vertical resolution.

This is somewhat hard to talk about without drawing a lot of pictures. I hope it makes some sense. You can see our CinemaScape white paper for more detail. Although it was written before Strato, the fundamentals are still correct.

You see the same number of covers or the same amount of text. But if using an anamorphic lens, selecting CinemaScape Anamorphic rather than CinemaScape Letterbox will produce a sharper image.

Back