• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

How many UHD will fit on a Terra 48 - ChatGPT

Mossback

I asked ChatGPT, (whom I think of Douglas until I find a better name) how many disk will fit on my 48. Here for you amusement is Douglas's answer.

"The number of movies in UHD that will fit on a Kaleidescape Terra 48 depends on several factors, such as the length of the movies, the resolution and bitrate of the UHD content, and the amount of space reserved for metadata and system files on the device.

Assuming an average UHD movie is around 50GB in size, and the Terra 48 has a usable storage capacity of around 36TB (after reserving space for system files and metadata), you could store approximately 720 UHD movies on the device.

However, this is a rough estimate, and the actual number may vary depending on the specific movies and their encoding, as well as any other content or data stored on the device. Additionally, if you have any other data or metadata on the device, this will also take up some space and reduce the number of UHD movies you can store."

I asked ChatGPT, (whom I think of Douglas until I find a better name) how many disk will fit on my 48. Here for you amusement is Douglas's answer.

"The number of movies in UHD that will fit on a Kaleidescape Terra 48 depends on several factors, such as the length of the movies, the resolution and bitrate of the UHD content, and the amount of space reserved for metadata and system files on the device.

Assuming an average UHD movie is around 50GB in size, and the Terra 48 has a usable storage capacity of around 36TB (after reserving space for system files and metadata), you could store approximately 720 UHD movies on the device.

However, this is a rough estimate, and the actual number may vary depending on the specific movies and their encoding, as well as any other content or data stored on the device. Additionally, if you have any other data or metadata on the device, this will also take up some space and reduce the number of UHD movies you can store."

His actual name is Geoffrey Phillip Tarrakian.

Interesting, and not too far off on numbers, K indicates approx. 800 4K movies on a 48TB Terra. (Obviously the usable storage capacity is incorrect at 36TB.)

Jim

ChatGPT is limited to data from 2021 or some such cut off date, its not using current info to deliver the information. It took a while to pull up the response, I suspected it would fail to answer, I thought the numbers are conservative.

ChatGPT is limited to data from 2021 or some such cut off date, its not using current info to deliver the information. It took a while to pull up the response, I suspected it would fail to answer, I thought the numbers are conservative.
It must be a fan of the thread where we discussed manually reserving additional free space to improve performance. Although a 10% cushion is certainly more than I'd concern myself with.

Back