• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

How many Kaleidescape units shipped?

josh

Administrator
Staff member
Forum Administrator
⭐️⭐️PATRON⭐️⭐️
In this article, Michael Malcolm said 300 units shipped, that was in Feb. '05.

Anyone know how many customers they have at this point?

Guesses?

Just got an answer to this question from a Kaleidescape executive...

As of August, 2006, they have shipped 10,000 components... and just over 2,000 installations. (Yes, that's an average of 5 devices (not counting expansion disks) per installation.)

That's a lot more than I thought...

So... the quick math: 2,000 installs at about $35k average (my guess, based on the 5 components per install figure) = $70m in revenue for the company's products over the past 3 years since they've been shipping products. Add in sales of expansion disks ($5k per install?) and that adds another $10m (!), some DVD sales ($1m?)... Factor in dealer margin and the company has probably taken in $50-60m. That's much better than I thought...

Hard to pin down what type of margin is on this stuff, but I bet it's prety high...

and just wait til these new lower-priced components get out there!

I feel better about the prospects for the company...

Possibly... all depends on the price of course. If i thought the market was valuing the company only as a hardware company, not appreciating the MANY other valuable areas (software, UI, systems, service sides of the business, and what might be the biggest - their I.P. assets) then i might invest.

I don't think Kaleidescape ever becomes huge, but it can do great things in the industry that build asset value, and it can make money for its investors.

I tried to sink my retirement into D-BOX when the stock was at $0.17 two years ago, but my retirement fund wouldn't allow me to buy stock on a Canadian venture exchange. Too bad, as the stock is at $0.44 today and has peaked at $0.52 briefly.

Kaleidescape is not publicly funded, however, so I don't see how one could invest in the ownership very easily.

Mr.Poindexter said:
Kaleidescape is not publicly funded, however, so I don't see how one could invest in the ownership very easily.

right - I think Chris was just asking hypothetically...

Nice NYTimes article, BTW!

i ask as you have some experience in the arena so your perspective is unique.

I felt strong enough that even unemployed with money tight, i spent the money to exercise my shares.

I think that the product, the ip, the database, all have great value no matter what direction they take the company.

Apple takeover

Wouldn't it be great if an innovative company like Apple bought KScape, so iTunes content (Songs, HD movies, trailers etc) could be imported straight to the player?

mawilla said:
Wouldn't it be great if an innovative company like Apple bought KScape, so iTunes content (Songs, HD movies, trailers etc) could be imported straight to the player?
... or vice-versa, an iPod could be connected and copy movies and music over to it.

Yes, those would be great, but I think very unlikely.

Back