• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

How long will discs be supported with Encore?

David23

I see that the Alto isn't even listed on K's website anymore. Is it manufactured anymore? How much longer will discs be supported, with cover art, and cataloged/bookmarked? This is very sad to me. There are still many, many movies that are not in the K store. And even more important for me is bonus features. I would guess only 10% of bonus feature for movies are available through store downloads.

I just watched Rescue Dawn last night on Blu-ray. Great movie, by the way. And there's nothing better than digging into the bonus features right after finishing a great film. It had wonderful behind the scenes and interviews with director Werner Herzog. It's going to be quite sad to lose that experience.

The Alto is no longer manufactured. It was the first Store based component in what was called the "Encore" line (I actually own the first production Alto, serial # 00001.) Encore is no longer the term used by K, it is now Strato and Terra only. Alto was designed and manufactured before 4K, that's the reason it is SD/HD only, so there wasn't really a need to keep them in inventory once 4K (UHD) became available in the store and the Strato was manufactured to take advantage of all three resolutions. The Alto's ability to playback physical BR discs in a vault is the only other benefit to an Alto (Strato is limited to DVD disc playback in a vault). To my knowledge, it will not be returning to inventory, but in-warranty Alto's will obviously be supported, and I assume OOW will as well to the extent parts are available.

I don't know if the answer to the disc metadata availability has changed, but the intent was to continue that support going forward for an unstated period of time. I expect K will announce well in advance if there is a change to disc based metadata.

Jim

The Alto is no longer manufactured. It was the first Store based component in what was called the "Encore" line (I actually own the first production Alto, serial # 00001.) Encore is no longer the term used by K, it is now Strato and Terra only. Alto was designed and manufactured before 4K, that's the reason it is SD/HD only, so there wasn't really a need to keep them in inventory once 4K (UHD) became available in the store and the Strato was manufactured to take advantage of all three resolutions. The Alto's ability to playback physical BR discs in a vault is the only other benefit to an Alto (Strato is limited to DVD disc playback in a vault). To my knowledge, it will not be returning to inventory, but in-warranty Alto's will obviously be supported, and I assume OOW will as well to the extent parts are available.

I don't know if the answer to the disc metadata availability has changed, but the intent was to continue that support going forward for an unstated period of time. I expect K will announce well in advance if there is a change to disc based metadata.

Jim
So if you're migrating from a Premiere system to Encore and you have a DV700 vault which you keep for your discs, you will need an Alto for playback in your system? A Strato won't playback any Blu-ray in that vault?

Correct, only the Alto, paired with a Vault, will playback the physical BR discs in the vault. A Strato is limited to only DVD disc playback.

Jim

Back