• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

How get HD movies onto Alto 6tb instead of full Terra Server 40tb?

Steve Bruzonsky

Also, my Alto 6tb shows its 98% space available. How can I get the HD movies onto the Alto freeing up space on my Terra Server? As I have been buying way too many upgrade movies! AS its full my Terra Server won't load any more 4k HDR movies.

Are they paired? Or two separate zones?

I have a Strato 12 and Alto 4TB, paired. Every time I buy a movie, HD movies go to the Alto, 4K movies go to the Strato, all automatically.

My Strato C and Alto 6TB use CoStar software with a Lumagen Radiance Pro. So yes they are paired. But Right now all downloads including blu ray quality go to the Terra Server until its full. And when I go online and download, I see a choice of which version (E.G., HDR, HD) but I don't see a choice of which component (Terra Server or Alto) to download to.

Over at AVS Forum, someone made a good point - delete stuff from the Terra Server if you need to because if you want to watch it you can always download it again quickly, whereas the Alto will download much slower. That is a good point.

With my Premiere system, I can set whether SD & HD content goes to the Terra or the 1U. I assume Alto would be similar. Go to Terra server browser interface. Pick “System & Player Pairing”. It should show “System Pairing Options“ and you should see “SD and HD Download Destinations” You should be able to pick Alto as a destination.

Of course, if the Alto is totally different since it is an Encore system component, someone will point out my error!

John

There is no setting to allow a user to choose which specific device in a system downloads will go to. Setting aside Co-Star for a moment, the download target policy for an Encore system (Terra, Strato, Alto) is as follows:
For SD/HD content:
  1. Terra
  2. Alto
  3. Strato
For UHD/HDR content:
  1. Terra
  2. Strato
Because the Terra is the most capable device in the system, downloads will always go to the Terra first if there is sufficient space. After that, downloads will go to the device type that is next on the list. There is no setting to change this behaviour. In the above case, if you want to force SD/HD content to download to the Alto, you would need to unplug your Terra and then queue the download(s) that you want to go to your Alto. Similarly, if you wanted to force UHD/HDR content to download to your Strato, you would need to power down any Terras that were part of the same system.

A Premiere system that is linked to the Encore system via Co-Star is considered a separate system (from a download perspective) so the SD/HD setting that is part of the Co-Star configuration simply allows you to determine which system will download that content not which device within that system will download it. Even when Co-Star paired, all devices within the Encore system will still conform to the download target order listed above.

I should learn to not try to be too helpful.....

John

I should learn to not try to be too helpful.....
Not at all. Your suggestion was a good one for anyone with an Encore/Premiere Co-Star paired system. It just doesn't work the same way for a Strato/Alto player-paired setup since the Strato and Alto are considered part of the same system.

Is there any other advantage to having a Terra store your movies, vs. an Alto or Strato? I have an Alto 4TB and Strato 12TB, with a Terra 24TB on the way. Just trying to determine if, other than optimizing storage space, there is any vaule to placing movies on the Terra vs the Strato or Alto?

Is it worth my time to move all my HDR/4K movies from the Strato to the Terra?

Is there any other advantage to having a Terra store your movies, vs. an Alto or Strato? I have an Alto 4TB and Strato 12TB, with a Terra 24TB on the way. Just trying to determine if, other than optimizing storage space, there is any vaule to placing movies on the Terra vs the Strato or Alto?

If you serve more than two zones, the accessed content will need to be on the Terra.

Two zones simultaneously? Or two zones total?

I guess what I'm asking is that if zones, 1, 2, and 3 are all watching the same movie, I get it - Terra. But what if zone 1 and 2 are watching one movie, and Zone 3 is watching another? Or if all 3 zones are watching different movies?

From the Strato Install Guide:

In a multi-zone system, up to four Strato players with internal storage may be used. This configuration is suitable for installations where one or two movies will be played at the same time in the household.

Beyond four zones, or if more than two simultaneous movie playbacks are required, the system should be built with Strato C players and one or more Terra servers.

Kaleidescape recommends that a large system be designed such that all of its storage is in the Terra servers (i.e., using only Strato C players), because Terra can support more simultaneous playback streams. However, if circumstances dictate, you can still use up to four players with internal storage, with the important limitation that an individual Strato player with storage can only support two simultaneous movie playbacks (one on the player itself plus one being sent to a remote player, or two remote playbacks).

Jim

If you have VERY fast internet speeds, downloads to a Terra is much faster than downloads to a Strato. Lots of reports of 800Mbps downloads to a Terra using 1Gbs internet.

John

If you have VERY fast internet speeds, downloads to a Terra is much faster than downloads to a Strato. Lots of reports of 800Mbps downloads to a Terra using 1Gbs internet.

John

This is true. I can download 4k films in 10 - 15 minutes. It basically makes cycling content be playable on demand.

Oh wow, that'll be a nice feature/addition. I'm used to ~60-75 min downloads.

Is there any way to transfer movies to the Terra, rather than re-downloading them all again?

I don't think there is any mechanism to copy or move movies from one device to another.

With the Alto/Strato/Terra systems I've always liked the idea of being able to identify the location of a title, and be able to move that title internally from one of those devices to another for two reasons:

1. It gives us more control over content within our systems, and
2. It saves K the cost of another download to accomplish the same thing. (For those that don't know, every time you download a title, K pays a fee to push that download to you.)

Of course this would require additional engineering of the software, and I have no idea what costs are associated with getting that done.

Jim

There's not any compelling reason to want those movies on your Terra, given your current configuration. The main benefit of having the movies stored on the Terra is that the Terra can support playback to more zones simultaneously. Since you only have two players, this is not important.

Once your Terra arrives, all of your downloads will go to the Terra. The big win there is that the Terra has no need to reduce download speeds while you're interacting with the onscreen display or watching a movie. And, as noted, it can download content just about as fast as your ISP can deliver the bits, generally speaking. I have regularly exceeded 900 Mbps to my Terra, and I can download a 4K movie in about the time it takes me to pop the popcorn and get settled in for a movie (~11 minutes).

Yup! I have Gigabit internet. But Alto downloads a movie in 60 - 80 minutes, and that's a blu ray. Terra Server downloads a blu ray in 5-7 minutes and a 4k disk in 7-10 minutes. I decided simply to delete some stuff on the Terra Server as needed. Though I hope KScape comes up with a nifty solution where all movies even those not downloaded show up on your movie/tv screen menu.

Back