• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Hot spare clarification

AlienW

I had some weirdness with my new 3U that I am not sure about. Somehow everything I thought I knew might be wrong!

The server came with 11 x 1tb drives. One drive was flashing indicating that is was a hot spare. The server page indicates the capacity was 8948 GB. I have read here somewhere that the hot spare is not strictly needed (except if you take it out, the server will complain) and consequenly not written to until it gets called into action. And also I thought I read that since it was not written to yet, it was still a 'spare' and could be used in another server the same way any other spare drive could.

I decided to test this theory by turning off the server and removing the drive that had been flashing. I turned it back on and expected to be scolded by the admin page about the missing hot spare. But something weird happened... One of the 10 remaining drives started flashing and the capacity reported went down to 7954 GB. I didn't think it was possible for the filesystem to go down in size... There were no errors anywhere that I could see, everything seemed normal. Any ideas on what is going on?

In the end, I shut the server off again and put the removed drive back in. When I rebooted, the drive that had been removed went back to flashing and the reported capacity went back up to 8948 GB. Is this set still good to use or did I wreck it somehow? Since I am ultimately putting the drives from my 1U into this server, this was more of a science experiment than anything.

There is a little-known feature to our file system: if a disk that has never had any data written to it fails (or just goes missing), instead of degrading the filesystem, the disk is simply removed from the filesystem record and the filesystem shrinks in size accordingly. However, once a disk has had data written to it, this isn't possible so when the disk fails or goes missing it is marked as such and the filesystem enters a degraded state.

So in your specific scenario above I suspect what happened is this:
You removed the hotspare. When the system booted up, it detected that the hotspare was missing. It then looked at the rest of the disks, found (at least) one that was unused (i.e. had never had data written to it), removed it from the active system and marked it as the hotspare. Your available storage went down.

Then you reinserted the removed disk cartridge. As it was marked as the original hotspare it became so again and the pristine disk that had been dropped from the active filesystem was returned to normal service.

If, on the other hand, you had done this same thing on a system that was closer to full, you would have retained the full 8948 GB of storage capacity and your system would have displayed an alert that you were operating without a hotspare as you were expecting.

Thanks John!

Jim

Back