• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Home Router Recomendations

I’m running the cloud key gen2 on the 6.0 firmware and no problems. I have the NVR as well running 8 cameras and constant zoom calls. No issues.

Everything has been great - and I always have a hard time resisting the urge to click any upgrade button every time one shows up! I've been spreading the word in my network and added a few more converts to the team.

My list has grown quickly :)

UDM Pro
24-port Pro PoE Switch
24-port Pro Switch
(2) PoE Flex Switches
(3) HD Access Points
NVR using (2) 14TB WD Purple drives (gives me 18.5 days)
(10) G4 Pro Cameras
Doorbell Cam

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-12-14 at 8.33.57 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-14 at 8.33.57 AM.png
    24 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Wow. This discussion is way over my head.
I have a NetGear switch hooked to my AT&T DSL line.
Really sad I have the best internet available in my area. I'm lucky to get 5Mbps internet download speed.
Does anyone have any experience with Satellite Internet?

Last edited:
I have Viasat at my ski condo in Utah, I think they claim 50 download, but I believe the only test I did indicated 37 (still better than 5!).

Jim

(10) G4 Pro Cameras
wow! I'm struggling to justify the cost of one of these when G4 bullet cams are so much less. Do you honestly think the G4 Pro's are worth the money?

wow! I'm struggling to justify the cost of one of these when G4 bullet cams are so much less. Do you honestly think the G4 Pro's are worth the money?
I didn't have any experience with the other cameras but I started with their design tool. It was very helpful. I took a picture of my house plans, drew the walls and put in one known measurement and then I could compare camera models by field of view and range. It also helped me decide on the larger access points as it will show coverage through interior walls.

Also, the cameras were only part of the project. I also had to have our dealer retrofit wiring to all 10 locations which was an adventure but they made it look great!

Finally, as one of my architects used to say at work before he retired, "security is a feeling" and I wanted to see the maximum amount of detail if I was going to go through the work to do the project. I know there are cheaper 4K camera options, but the seamless integration and super easy installation and setup was great.

I have Viasat at my ski condo in Utah, I think they claim 50 download, but I believe the only test I did indicated 37 (still better than 5!).

Jim
Jim,
Do you download Movies from K via the Satellite?
If so, how long does a standard Blu-ray quality movie take.
I'm afraid my DSL could take days to download at 5Mbps.
Hope I'm not Hijacking this thread. Please delete if so.
Thanks,

Chris

I just updated all of my AP to the latest/greatest and now have a problem with my Rachio irrigation controller. At 3 am, I run the WiFi AI routine which optimizes channels. Several times (at that exact time), the Rachio drops the connection and can not reconnect. If I restart the specific AP, it fires right back up again. Really don't want to create a separate Wifi setup just for this one device. Anyone else using this device? Thanks. SJ

Jim,
Do you download Movies from K via the Satellite?
If so, how long does a standard Blu-ray quality movie take.
I'm afraid my DSL could take days to download at 5Mbps.
Hope I'm not Hijacking this thread. Please delete if so.
Thanks,

Chris

Chris, we can move to emails after this response, but the short answer is NO, I do not use that location to download content. The Server there was pre-loaded before I moved it to that location. I was only answering that I had some satellite experience and the download speeds are better than what you're getting at your place.

Jim

I have a 20Mbs satellite internet connection at one of my places and have used it in the past for downloads and it works without issue. Speed is just like using a landline connection of similar speed so around half a day but you may get some throttling depending upon time of day / fair use policy but it is a viable solution if there is only a low speed alternative. The bigger issue is latency of around 800ms but that doesn't affect downloads but it makes playing interactive games virtually impossible.

I have a 20Mbs satellite internet connection at one of my places and have used it in the past for downloads and it works without issue. Speed is just like using a landline connection of similar speed so around half a day but you may get some throttling depending upon time of day / fair use policy but it is a viable solution if there is only a low speed alternative. The bigger issue is latency of around 800ms but that doesn't affect downloads but it makes playing interactive games virtually impossible.
Thank you.

I know the thread is bouncing a bit, but I keep meaning to put in Luxul as an option. I have a Luxul router, and a Ruckus switch and wifi APs. I'm relatively informed about computers, and it has been my other hobby for 35 years. Luxul stuff is super easy to configure and manage, and has been every bit as reliable as the Ruckus equipment, but without the technical knowledge Ruckus requires. If you're stepping up from a typical home system (Asus, Netgear, Linksys, etc), I'd strongly recommend Luxul.

Just be careful as some of their equipment currently can only do 650 Mbps WAN-LAN wired. But I agree that they are a step up from the normal network platforms that people run. I spoke to these guys a few years ago at Cedia and was impressed. They also are now part of Legrand AV. SJ

Good point. I think I dismissed those when I was looking into their equipment, but its excellent to point that limitation out.

For those of you who made the change to Unifi, in particular the Dream Machine Pro, are you still happy with the equipment and performance? Any reliability issues or surprises?

Had mine for about 9 months. Rock solid with no issues so far whatsover and provides great insight into what's happening on the network. Definitely a brand I envisage sticking to, upgrading access points to wifi 6 when time is right etc. Would recommend (y)

For those of you who made the change to Unifi, in particular the Dream Machine Pro, are you still happy with the equipment and performance? Any reliability issues or surprises?
I know this is an old post, but for anyone else coming along ..... I jumped onto the Dream Machine Base + a Flex HD AP. There were a LOT of bug issues on the UDM (non pro) that seem to be mostly cleared up now. I am stating this because a lot of google searches will bring up the teething issues experienced when the thing launched. My UDM has been stable for the better part of the last 6 months or so, and this is a heavily used network with me on Zoom most of the day, teenagers pounding the network, and full streaming on the TV's.

I know this is an old post, but for anyone else coming along ..... I jumped onto the Dream Machine Base + a Flex HD AP. There were a LOT of bug issues on the UDM (non pro) that seem to be mostly cleared up now. I am stating this because a lot of google searches will bring up the teething issues experienced when the thing launched. My UDM has been stable for the better part of the last 6 months or so, and this is a heavily used network with me on Zoom most of the day, teenagers pounding the network, and full streaming on the TV's.
I dove in with the UDM pro, a couple of pro switches, and some access points. Has been rock solid after getting things set up and some updates (the teething issues). Very happy with everything.

Reactions: jmf
Back