• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Home Router Recomendations

OK so lets sort this network out once and for all... after reviewing a few things and hitting up UBNT's website I ordered the DM Pro to replace my Cloud Key Gen2 Plus and USG Pro 4 - did it purely on the massively improved throughput, gaining 1U back in the rack, and isn't it better to reconfigure on new kit than just reset and repeat on "old" stuff - hahaha. Top bonus too - I was able to order an early release of the European LTE modem (serious whoop whoop!!). Ordered late Wednesday, shipped from Czech yesterday evening, delivered to me in Scotland an hour ago! Incredible! Go UPS!

Attachments

• IMG_6857.jpg
    IMG_6857.jpg
    481.2 KB · Views: 43
So you know when you start something and wish you never started... eurgh. Got my basic LAN up and most of the APs working - some don't like wanting to be reassigned to a new controller, even after a hard reset... the LTE device isn't detected as it should by the controller either so one can't adopt it, thus it's pretty much useless at the mo - their support team must love me right now with all my tickets LOL

Probably not a major concern for most but still, worth a read, I should have read this before I jumped in 2 footed (again!)

Least I have a 10Gbps link now between my core switch and my firewall - DPI, IPS and a bunch of other stuff all reenabled and zero slow down, unlike the old USG Pro :-D

Am having some issues myself and am considering some options from this brand:

Don't have one yet, but have heard good things. Lots of reviews and set up videos on YouTube.

I use these in my home and office, can confirm they are compatible with K

Hi Yes they are compatible with the Kaleidescape systems. I just replaced 3 networks running Kaleidescape with the Dream Machine Pro, Pro Switches, and HD access points. Networks are running smooth. The unified dashboard is awesome

My System has never been more solid since changing my network. No more “difficulty reading movie”.....

Interesting, as I got my first Threat Alert last night. It looks like it was at the end of downloading a movie update (BR2049) from K. The Destination target was my Terra Server. It was called "ET SHELLCODE Possible Call with No Offset TCP Shellcode". Type was: Executable Code was Detected. What the heck is that? Never happened with a download and/or movie update before.

@SJHT If you recognise the source and destination IPs (use whois lookup if the IP isn't obvious) as legit then I wouldn't worry about it so much. I get similar errors when VPN'ing into work and when trying to jump subnets on my home network. You can whitelist (I'm sure they'll change that name at next release...) known IPs to suppress the messages

Howdy y'all... so after a week or so of "playing"...I thought I'd let you all know how I've gotten on - in summary at least!

Net net, I'm keeping my Unifi kit, I'm way "too in" to move to something else and Meraki is just too expensive for home use.

I think it's fair to say though that one of the reason's their kit is "cheap" for what it is, is because you are basically helping beta test the software live (I seriously have no idea how anyone uses this stuff for customer production environments unless you've got very forgiving customers... :ROFLMAO:)

I had assumed that this stuff was rock solid, more so given the amount of industry friends that use it and thus my expectations were a lot higher than they needed or should have been. Ultimately it is decent and is mostly solid but it has nuances that come to the fore if you try and do anything more than the basics or have more complex environments. This is compounded, at the moment, by their migration to UnifiOS where feature parity to EdgeOS is a long way off.

Once you get accept some of the nuances and the constant iterations of software then things change dramatically - and that includes having to invest time on the forums and getting your head around different firmware, controller software, and OS platforms.

I've returned the UDM Pro and gone back to my USG Pro for CKG2+. But I have updated everything to the latest software releases (5.30.x for the switches and APs) and 6.0.15 for the controller. I'll move to UnifiOs on the CK once it's available and multisite is there (it doesn't support it right now unlike EdgeOS)

Rather than have Protect in the UDM Pro, the new UNVR does the job with a lot more flexibility for my needs and once the the next gen USG Pro is released in the UK, I'll move on up to that because the throughput improvements are incredible.

Anyone with a simpler environment, then I think the UDM or UDM Pro would meet the grade.

The other thing that I found out is that "turning on advanced features" doesn't just show new menu options, it actually changes how things work - perhaps that is why my network was all over the shop. Anyways, as it is now, I have a nice tidy and clean environment and no "advanced features" or auto calibration going on... so far so good and I think it's the "solid" platform you all refer to.

It'll be interesting when I start doing network segmentation and VLANs etc but I'm going to leave that for a few weeks... I like the tech but not like I did as a teenager! LOL :cool:

@SJHT If you recognise the source and destination IPs (use whois lookup if the IP isn't obvious) as legit then I wouldn't worry about it so much. I get similar errors when VPN'ing into work and when trying to jump subnets on my home network. You can whitelist (I'm sure they'll change that name at next release...) known IPs to suppress the messages

I did the lookup and it is from Akamai Technologies, Inc. Maybe that has something to do with Ks operation? The timing was exactly when a movie finished downloading on my Terra. Strange that this has never happened before for my Terra. SJ

Just for info, I sent it to K support in case other customers start getting something similar. Have not ever seen this before...

I wanted to add that because of this thread, I've now also taken the jump into UniFi and my boxes arrive on Tuesday! I'm thinking of adding in the PoE cameras and NVR as well as they seem to have a good solution and I like things that work together. Thanks for all of your detailed feedback and giving me the idea!

I wanted to add that because of this thread, I've now also taken the jump into UniFi and my boxes arrive on Tuesday! I'm thinking of adding in the PoE cameras and NVR as well as they seem to have a good solution and I like things that work together. Thanks for all of your detailed feedback and giving me the idea!

Yup hate these threads. UDMP, 24 Pro PoE, Nano HD and IW on the way next week! I have been cheap on my network equipment for far too long and decided it was time. The important pieces have always been hard wired, but even with that, I felt like I was missing out compared to the speed we had available. Will be a fun project next week!

I got 3 of the HD access points - wondering if that's overkill. I have 3 access points in my current setup and wanted to boost my signal in the front and back yard so I figured this would do it.

They worked meshed. You can even see in the log file when a device moves between access points as needed. SJ

Cisco ASA or Juniper SRX firewall and Ruckus Access Points, For a simple setup (minus the firewall), the Ruckus AP's can be set up with the master in Gateway mode.

@SJHT did you mean 6.0 controller? I'm still on 5.x (latest stable) and all has been great.
Curious how @Kicker and @Bauer89 are doing with their Uni systems?

I really love mine. I've got 7 switches & 6 Access points... and it's just great to manage it in one place.
I haven't had the headaches that @Vodder has had since i'm running mine pretty basic... no VLAN or VPN.

I upgraded my USG-Pro to the new UXG Pro and immediately got a 50% boost in throughput.

Gigabit service, and my laptop (on ethernet, but sharing the main switch with ~30 other devices including my wife on a video call right now and 5 cameras on Protect on this same network)... still getting amazing performance.
Screen Shot 2020-12-07 at 9.25.03 PM.png
With my USG, i rarely could break 600mbps

I'm still running the 5.x controller... scared of the 6.0 so far since so many bad reports. 5 is working so well for me, so i don't see a need to go to 6 for my basic setup here.

Controller is running on a CK2+. Running protect on that cloudkey as well, with an added 6tb drive, and currently at 5 cameras (1 G4, rest are G3) Should probably switch to NVR but with just 5 cams right now, i haven't felt the urgency.

I totally agree with the comment that we're all running beta software and firmware and helping the company test out their gear, but it's still made my life SO much better than when i was running consumer-grade non-SDN switches and APs. Unexplained dropouts for no reason, devices getting kicked off wifi for no reason, etc. I was tearing my hair out when COVID struck and my kids moved back home, including an Apple engineer son with extraordinary bandwidth needs (at least 14 devices in his room at any given time), plus 3 others here all on video calls all day long. Switching it all over to Unifi and redoing the network properly had made it all just work great. No one has had any devices oddly drop off network, bandwidth is high to every device, some of my IoT stuff stopped complaining about non-existent network loops, etc.

(one caveat - I briefly tried their first gen mesh APs UAP-AC-M-US, and those were disastrous. constant wifi problems in those zones. When I took the plunge and put in real APs with ethernet backhaul to switch, all went back to being perfect/bulletproof)

I'd never go back to consumer stuff, nor do i have a need to move up to real enterprise-grade stuff. Unifi is goldilocks perfect for my needs.

Last edited:
Anyone update their switches with the latest 5.x version? May wait a bit....
What’s the issue? All(10) work fine with 5.43.18.12487.

UDM Pro updated to 1.8.3 as well. Never had major issues and echo @josh it is now much better for me as well compared to the system I had before.

I looked at their community forum and some folks were having issues. Likely using more network features than us normal folks. SJ

@SJHT did you mean 6.0 controller? I'm still on 5.x (latest stable) and all has been great.
Curious how @Kicker and @Bauer89 are doing with their Uni systems?

I really love mine. I've got 7 switches & 6 Access points... and it's just great to manage it in one place.
I haven't had the headaches that @Vodder has had since i'm running mine pretty basic... no VLAN or VPN.

I upgraded my USG-Pro to the new UXG Pro and immediately got a 50% boost in throughput.

Gigabit service, and my laptop (on ethernet, but sharing the main switch with ~30 other devices including my wife on a video call right now and 5 cameras on Protect on this same network)... still getting amazing performance.
View attachment 1686
With my USG, i rarely could break 600mbps

I'm still running the 5.x controller... scared of the 6.0 so far since so many bad reports. 5 is working so well for me, so i don't see a need to go to 6 for my basic setup here.

Controller is running on a CK2+. Running protect on that cloudkey as well, with an added 6tb drive, and currently at 5 cameras (1 G4, rest are G3) Should probably switch to NVR but with just 5 cams right now, i haven't felt the urgency.

I totally agree with the comment that we're all running beta software and firmware and helping the company test out their gear, but it's still made my life SO much better than when i was running consumer-grade non-SDN switches and APs. Unexplained dropouts for no reason, devices getting kicked off wifi for no reason, etc. I was tearing my hair out when COVID struck and my kids moved back home, including an Apple engineer son with extraordinary bandwidth needs (at least 14 devices in his room at any given time), plus 3 others here all on video calls all day long. Switching it all over to Unifi and redoing the network properly had made it all just work great. No one has had any devices oddly drop off network, bandwidth is high to every device, some of my IoT stuff stopped complaining about non-existent network loops, etc.

(one caveat - I briefly tried their first gen mesh APs UAP-AC-M-US, and those were disastrous. constant wifi problems in those zones. When I took the plunge and put in real APs with ethernet backhaul to switch, all went back to being perfect/bulletproof)

I'd never go back to consumer stuff, nor do i have a need to move up to real enterprise-grade stuff. Unifi is goldilocks perfect for my needs.

Running the latest 1.8.3 as of last night, and honestly, everything except for some issues with wired and wifi devices not talking (which I finally resolved) have disappeared from what has been an up and down struggle for the past few years in this house. We have two APs currently and coverage and reliability are excellent, but we went the upgrade route now including get the Pro Switches for our new house build which is set to start in January and will be about 5600 sq ft. That will be our true test.

One part I missed and was disappointed though, is that I purchased the USW Pro purposely to power and handle Crestron NVX but the Unifi line right now can't handle IGMP fast-leave, proper snooping, etc... Not being the best network guy I had just assumed of course this wouldn't be an issue and the fact the pro has PoE++ (better name clearly needed) I spent the extra $500 for that feature that is not useless at this time with the rest of my devices only requiring PoE+.

Back