• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Home Router Recomendations

Upgrading my network to UniFi has turned out to be one of the best decisions I’ve made. :). What a difference and notice even in small things. Example, my Trinnov unit sometimes could not connect with their particular interface. Had two different access apps. One using Bonjour and a second with direct IP. Now bonjour access never fails. With my old setup it was like 50%. Many more examples. Amazing network product. My K setup has not had any issues since implementing. By the way, I actually ordered a Luxul router, but the wireless unit can’t handle 1G IP speeds. The wired can, but they dont provide the type of security features along with many other things that UniFi provides. Ended up not even opening the box and retuning. SJ

Josh..curious if you were able to secure the new unifi router that dropped in the ea store on monday?

Had one part of our home that was not getting the coverage (no hard wired network), so I added one of these...

UniFi AP BeaconHD
Mentioned to my wife, ignore that Cylon device which appeared in that room.. :)

Thanks for that info, I'll be adding a couple of those to our system here!

Just curious, for those using the Unifi gear, what components are in your system (AP's, controllers, Dream Machine, etc..)?

Jim

Just curious, for those using the Unifi gear, what components are in your system (AP's, controllers, Dream Machine, etc..)?

Jim
Dream Machine Pro, 24 port switch, couple of 8 port switches, 2 Flex HD APs, 1 In Wall HD AP. Been up and running for just over a month. Very happy so far!

Jim

Hi Jim,

Dream Machine Pro, 24 & 16 poe switches, 5 8-60w port switches, 2 flex mini switches (best value by far) and finally 5 Flex HD APs.
Same as @mpierson very happy and no issues at all. I will eventually replace the Flex HD APs when the equivalent WiFi 6 comes out.

Kostas

Jim

Dream Machine Pro, USW Pro 48, USW Pro 24, Switch 8 POE, 3 FlexHD APs, Beacon HD. The Dream Machine and 2 primary switches are connected with 10Gbps SFP+. Been rock solid. SJ

Thanks to all of you guys, impressive setups!

Jim

Then the next device below that is the Security Gateway Pro 4. This is the router and firewall. NOTE that this is the weak link... the USG Pro 4 is due to be revised with a much faster processor. It's limiting my broadband speed and the new one will supposedly fix that. (I'm getting 500-600 mbps download speed from a 1GB service. USG Pro 4 can't do much higher than 500-600mbps.
Josh, this is a little bit surprising to me. I use UniFi gear at home [this does not constitute an endorsement from Kaleidescape], and I'm using their baby USG (the "3P") as my router/firewall. I achieve 900Mbps downloads to my Terra.

Perhaps you are doing deep packet inspection or something processor intensive on your firewall? I am not running anything that sophisticated.

Yes, I do have DPI on (but not any of the intrusion detection systems), so that should be causing a small performance hit, but not as big as I'm seeing. You're getting great performance off the USG if you're >900mbps. Not sure what's wrong with my config or settings. Might try turning off DPI, but I really like those stats it generates.

- Change DTIM to 3... you have to do this for each of the two radios (2.4ghz and 5ghz) and each of your SSIDs (including a guest network if you implemented one). So for me it was 4 changes... 2.4ghz main SSID, 5ghz main SSID, 2.4ghz guest network, 5ghz guest network. Easy to google DTIM and see what it's all about... and why Ubiquiti's default setting of 1 is definitely NOT ideal. Bonus - higher DTIMs will make all your mobile devices' batteries last longer... as it lowers the rate each device pings the network. I had never heard of this before my Ubiquiti setup experience...
Interestingly, the latest rev of Unifi controller now sets DTIM to 3 as the default, as apparently it always should have. I'm not sure that it will change your settings if you're still using DTIM=1... it may leave your existing APs alone. But any new ones you add should get DTIM 3.
But it also serves as something of an endorsement or recommendation that DTIM should be 3 for most users.

Screen Shot 2020-07-06 at 2.45.44 PM.png

Just curious, for those using the Unifi gear, what components are in your system (AP's, controllers, Dream Machine, etc..)?Jim
I went with
  • USG-Pro-4 as the gateway/router/firewall
  • Cloudkey Gen2+ for controller and for Unifi Protect storage/controller
  • USW-Pro-24PoE as my main switch
  • 4 FlexHD Access Points
  • 2 MeshAP Access Points (extenders)
  • 3 USW-8-Poe 60w Switches
  • 2 US-8 Switches
  • 1 Lite-8-PoE Switch
  • 2 Flex Mini 5-port switches
Dream Machine Pro would take the place of those first 2 items above, and possibly one of the switches. Good bargain. But I preferred separate controller and gateway to upgrade parts later.

Also just received the new/beta UXG-Pro gateway that will be replacing my USG-Pro-4. Working on that install now.

Have the new Unifi Switch Lite 16 PoE on order, should arrive soon.

For Cameras:
  • 2 UVC G3 Flex
  • 1 UVC G3 Micro
  • 1 UV G4 Doorbell
  • 1 UVC G4 Bullet (just arrived and installed yesterday)
Will be ordering a few more G4 Bullets and G3 Flexes... both are great. (hoping there will soon be a G4 Flex)

Was able to get a UXG-PRO sent to me. This is the new Next-Gen Gateway by Ubiquiti. I was running a USG-4 and this replaced that unit. I can say it opened up my network considerably. Throughput now is 965 range consistently versus 350 with old gateway. I downloaded a UHD movie on the terra in 9 minutes. Worth the upgrade.

Was able to get a UXG-PRO sent to me. This is the new Next-Gen Gateway by Ubiquiti. I was running a USG-4 and this replaced that unit. I can say it opened up my network considerably. Throughput now is 965 range consistently versus 350 with old gateway. I downloaded a UHD movie on the terra in 9 minutes. Worth the upgrade.
Just got my UXG Pro as well. Not installed yet but will when the others in the household let me bring down the network for 15 min.
glad to hear of the speed increase you’re seeing D41872DA-1800-4E43-981A-7142F8385D93.jpeg

How often do they upgrade firmware? Didn’t know if I could update everything at once, but decided to do it device by device similar to when I installed. Lengthy process if you have many devices. SJ

i'd say maybe once a month or once every 2 months there will be an update for one or two devices, and sometimes it's an update that needs to roll to all the devices, but it's pretty smooth so far if you're not on their beta program. That's a little precarious... but if you stick to general release versions, it's pretty easy to do. One nice thing is that if more than one device needs an update, an option appears in the controller for "rolling" upgrade, which you can schedule for say 3am. It updates one device, waits for it to come back online, then moves on to the next one. You wake up, and all has been upgraded if you choose to do it that way. Personally, I like to upgrade devices myself, so i do it more manually, but still very easy.

Good to know, thanks Josh.

Jim

Need to look for that option for the next release which crosses multiple devices. Thanks for that info. SJ

Great thread and I’m more “trusting/believing” of the info from you guys than the stuff on Ubiquiti’s own forums.

I’m going to reread when I have some more time and reassess my UniFi setup. It’s great to hear you all having such positive experiences... I went all in on UniFi when I moved into this house June 2018, just before I got my K system. I’ve had no end of problems! 😱

I think it’s probably a mix of a lot of the things Josh alluded to and myself buying/biting off more than I can chew at once. It definitely takes a certain amount of tweaking to get it “right” for your install. 🤓

If anything of the past 2 years has taught me; you can buy everything under the sun but you can’t buy time! I still have 7 G3 bullet cameras say in the same box they were delivered in 2 years back!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

And I promise not to get started on the lack of L3 switching... (G2 wasn’t available then) or the confusing state of UniFi versus Edgemax UNMS... or GA Firmware that happily bricks units (currently 5 and counting!)... or ...

Certain for one thing, this thread has peaked my interest to put aside a weekend and start over to finally get all of it working correctly 😎👍🏼

Back