• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Help Please

ankur1234

Hi
I am moving into a new house. My friend is setting up the media wiring for me and showed me a demo of the Kscape system today. I am so thrilled but after looking at a price tag of 25000...i am confused. He told me to do some research on the internet to see because he heard of some one getting a similar system for a fraction of the cost. I am willing to spend money, but not so much. Can some one give alternatives to this system. Sorry if I am asking the question in the wrong place.

Thank you
Anil
Superior, CO

Hi Anil,

There are many ways to enjoy movies and music, distributed around your house, and pretty much all of them would come in at lower prices. You'll find people who have built systems that can do many of these features on Windows Media Center devices, and there are systems from other companies that do much of this.

You will certainly find a bias here (check the name of the forum!). Clearly, people here have found that there is no other system that has this range of features and works this well and this easily. It is definitely expensive (though you could probably get started for closer to $15k I think nowadays for a basic Kaleidescape system).

While it's expensive, there's nothing that can do everything this system can: organize your complete DVD and Music collection, retrieve data from a service about every disk, assemble them in such an easy-to-use UI, have simple multi-room capabilities, and have such powerful capabilties like scripting, marking of scenes, favorites, collections. The more you play with the system the more you realize how well all of its parts work together for such a complete experience.

I can tell you my wife nearly killed me when she heard what we were spending on this system, but now she absolutely loves it - and it's passed the test of time, still in daily use for hours per day after 18 months of usage. It's certainly extravagant... but it's so useful and so enjoyable that we somehow find ways to tolerate (if not fully justify) the price.

Tell us more about your priorities and people here will be happy to help. Is it for multi-room or not? Is the priority to have access to movies without changing the disks? Is Music integration important? Are you comfortable with using Windows software to get at your media collection?

--josh

Hi Anil,

Being a dealer myself I can tell you there is a lot more value in a K-system than you might think. Josh has mentioned other considerations as well. Your dealer will not only sell and install your system, but they will also assist you with system implementation, training and product support going forward. K does not compete with other systems based upon price. K competes based on product abilities and the pretty much "bullet proof" opreration, not to mention the best graphical user interface, and support in this this area of the electronics industry. While the system is not priced for everyone, those that choose to make the purchase are never disappointed. Best of luck with your decision.

Kind regards,

Jim

(BTW, although I'd be happy to answer any questions about K, I would hope you would allow the dealer you have contact with at home to assist you with any pruchase.)

I agree with Josh and Jim's comments and I would add that having a dealer program your remote control like a crestron adds to the experience. I am extremely impressed with the Kaleidescape system. Bullet proof is a very fair description. It is very robust and so easy my technophobe family has no problem using it. VERY impressive. Zero buyers remorse. In fact, I have subsequently maxed out my server (I bought it with 6/12 drives.)

Back