• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Help - Opinion on Strato S - Would appreciate feedback

If folks are thinking a "hypothetical" 18TB Strato might cost the same as the 12TB, it will not (hypothetically). Same is true for a hypothetical new larger capacity Terra. That's my hypothetical understanding.;)

Jim

LOL, one can dream, right! :)

Actually, the global storage market is still recovering, I think, from the Chia crypto run as well. It may not be a great time to try to source large capacity storage in volume quite yet.

Thanks for your input Swordoflevi! I was especially happy to hear that it only takes seconds as opposed to minutes to catalog each disc we own. I'm gonna hold you to that! I was told 2 to 12 minutes using the Alto by 2 separate dealers. What do they know, right?
I don’t know where they get that. I personally have an ALTO (because of a very gracious member on this board. You know who you are. Thank you) and I have cataloged 1008 movies so far so I talk from a lot of experience. I cataloged 34 movies yesterday.

I'm pretty picky when it comes to what movies I want in my library, and an 18 TB Strato would have given me almost 6 TB of extra space, which seems good enough for a while. Just buying a Terra is good advice though, providing one has the cash. But I don't easily let $13k-$18k slip through my fingers. Of course, it's all relative, right? If one has many millions, $18k is nothing. On the other hand......

I understand that but I will say this. You have 12tb now which gives you enough exposure to how the system works. You will know if you love K by the time you fill up that one. If you love it then a terra server will be worth it because you will fill it up fast despite not thinking you will. 6tb is not alot in the 4K world that is for sure.
4K will keep impressing and K keeps adding so many titles. A member on this board told me that when the store went live he had over 1000 movies not in the store. Now it is down to over 100. I have a large collection and I only have 76 movies not in the store but I believe they will be one day

I hope you're correct about K obtaining access to a lot of the movies I listed. Add those to my inventory, and I'd be pretty darn satisfied.
Many of those are well known so I think it is a matter of time. It is in the best interest of K to have every movie they can get their hands on so I’m confident they will continue to knock out movies we all want.

I don’t know where they get that. I personally have an ALTO (because of a very gracious member on this board. You know who you are. Thank you) and I have cataloged 1008 movies so far so I talk from a lot of experience. I cataloged 34 movies yesterday.

I understand that but I will say this. You have 12tb now which gives you enough exposure to how the system works. You will know if you love K by the time you fill up that one. If you love it then a terra server will be worth it because you will fill it up fast despite not thinking you will. 6tb is not alot in the 4K world that is for sure.
4K will keep impressing and K keeps adding so many titles. A member on this board told me that when the store went live he had over 1000 movies not in the store. Now it is down to over 100. I have a large collection and I only have 76 movies not in the store but I believe they will be one day

Many of those are well known so I think it is a matter of time. It is in the best interest of K to have every movie they can get their hands on so I’m confident they will continue to knock out movies we all want.
Good post. Thanks Swordoflevi! (By the way, I haven't decided whether you name or Kaleidescape is the harder to spell!)

Edge of Tomorrow is available on the Store in 4K with Atmos.

Good post. Thanks Swordoflevi! (By the way, I haven't decided whether you name or Kaleidescape is the harder to spell!)

I’m not sure but K is easier than S because no one would know what it stood for.

Also, look at the bright side. The 18 TB will probably cost more than a 12 TB stratos S so you save the money between the 12 and 18 that you can put towards the Terra :)

If folks are thinking a "hypothetical" 18TB Strato might cost the same as the 12TB, it will not (hypothetically). Same is true for a hypothetical new larger capacity Terra. That's my hypothetical understanding.;)

Jim
Well then I am "hypothetically" happy that I haven't pulled the trigger on the Terra just quite yet.

Question for Kalidecape users, What is most important to you? Is it the convenience that the Kalidecape offers or is it to get the best video and audio performance ?
I love the convenience of my Strato but if the video and audio is not on par with the performance of a disc with my Panasonic 9000 then that's a problem.
I was evaluating some UHD discs compared to the Strato and I noticed what might be an issue on Star Wars A New Hope. Is this chroma delay from the Strato or is it an encode issue on the file? What do you guys think?

Attachments

• IMG_2646.jpg
    IMG_2646.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_2643 (1).jpg
    IMG_2643 (1).jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 33
Can't argue with that possibility I guess. I assume your comparison used the same cable for both, for length and any other possible causes (but do realize processing tends to be the main culprit in these cases). I'll run some tests on my gear when I have time (I have a couple of UHD Players, including the model you referenced).

I personally like Kaleidescape mainly for the user experience, and functions that don't exist in standalone players. I would be willing to sacrifice some minor, not noticeable to the average viewer, video issues if it were necessary to use the K system, but frankly I haven't seen anything in performance that reaches that level for me. I do however admit that I stopped watching movies using my critical eyes, and now just enjoy the movies, I no longer have any interest in finding reasons to be disappointed, I'm too busy enjoying the ride.......

Jim

Yes I am running both players identical via a Lumagen.

Attachments

• 1DAD2419-FA41-4260-9D91-786B6C5E3F15.jpeg
    1DAD2419-FA41-4260-9D91-786B6C5E3F15.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 36
  • 909956DF-EBDE-4E69-8C5F-315C520C3300.jpeg
    909956DF-EBDE-4E69-8C5F-315C520C3300.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 35
Can't argue with that possibility I guess. I assume your comparison used the same cable for both, for length and any other possible causes (but do realize processing tends to be the main culprit in these cases). I'll run some tests on my gear when I have time (I have a couple of UHD Players, including the model you referenced).

I personally like Kaleidescape mainly for the user experience, and functions that don't exist in standalone players. I would be willing to sacrifice some minor, not noticeable to the average viewer, video issues if it were necessary to use the K system, but frankly I haven't seen anything in performance that reaches that level for me. I do however admit that I stopped watching movies using my critical eyes, and now just enjoy the movies, I no longer have any interest in finding reasons to be disappointed, I'm too busy enjoying the ride.......

Jim
I agree I enjoy everything about the Kaleidescape but this should be addressed be it an encode issue with the file or a problem with the player.

I agree I enjoy everything about the Kaleidescape but this should be addressed be it an encode issue with the file or a problem with the player.

Absolutely, if it can be fixed it should be (assuming the problem is K related, and I'm not saying it isn't). I assume you also used a direct connection from the Strato and Panny to the display (we all know the strengths of Lumagen's VP's, so I'm not at all implying there could be something there, but IMO it's always helpful to test components with as short a video chain as possible.)

I know you're skilled as well, and certainly don't question your right to critical viewing, it's critical viewing and comments that drive manufacturers to make improvements, and that's a good thing for all users.:)

Jim

Yes I also ran both the Panasonic and the Kaleidescape directly into the JVC NX9. I was actually evaluating the Lumagen as it’s a new piece of my system. I thought it was the Lumagen at first. I also checked out the stream of the movie on AppleTV and
The issue was not there.

Understood, I didn't think it would be the Lumagen, they do such a great job! Thanks for responding!

Jim

Not sure what it could be indicative of, but I notice in the second set of shots that the Strato may not be sending a HDCP-secured signal. Makes me wonder what else is getting turned-off in the process. Does the Lumagen's signal info match with what the video capabilities page of the player is saying?

Nelson, thank you for posting this question. We're investigating your report. I'm going to reach out to you via PM to ask for some additional information and suggest a couple of things you can try.

Back