• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Help me with ATMOS Processors: Anthem AVM60 / Marantz AV8802a / Marantz AV7703 / Yamaha CS-A5100?

josh

Administrator
Staff member
Forum Administrator
⭐️⭐️PATRON⭐️⭐️
My aging Marantz AV8801 processor just lost one of the subwoofer channels. Definitely in the processor... and I've now had 3 Marantz processors or receivers that have crapped out in under 4 years.

So... I'm seeking opinions on a replacement: Anthem AVM60 vs. Marantz AV8802a vs. Marantz AV7703? I've been leaning to Anthem given the problems I've had many times with Marantz gear, but I hear on the AVS Forum that the software still has a way to go. (and it doesn't support distinct dual subs, which my room has).

Would love to hear opinions on those gear from anyone who owns or has tested any of them.

Also - any opinions on if the Yamaha CS-A5100 belongs in the mix as well?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I've had both the AVM 60 and 8802a. I'm a long time Anthem oweer (have also had the d2v3d for a long time and the 710 in another system) and I preferred the 8802a. The un-eq'd sound favored the 8802a to me. Build quality & ease of use (updates, menu style, osd, getting hex codes) also favored the Marantz.

ARC did a better job though, imo, than Audyssey so with EQ turned on they were pretty close sonically.

Great feedback. Thanks Rooster.
If I do stick with Marantz, any thoughts on if I should go with the newer AV7703 instead of the AV8802a?

Last edited:
Pioneer Elite is a terrific value and as a long time Yamaha guy, I think movies sound way better on their upper end gear.

Question Help me with ATMOS Processors: Anthem AVM60 / Marantz AV8802a / Marantz AV7703 / Yamaha CS-A5100?

I have the Marantz AV8802A and love it!
I would stick with that one you can't beat the value for all you get.
I also had a Krell foundation great unit but the marantz still has way more features for the money.

I have the Marantz AV8802A and love it!

I would stick with that one you can't beat the value for all you get.

I also had a Krell foundation great unit but the marantz still has way more features for the money.

I agree 100% ...

I changed an Pioneer Elite against the Marantz. First time I used it I nearly could't believe what I was hearing. Even my wife was convinced I and told me the first time that the change was more than worth it 😀

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Thanks guys, appreciate it. AV8802a seems a good choice for me since i won't need the Heos or the app-based audyssey tweaking in the AV7703 or forthcoming AV8804 (not coming for at least a year). Found a killer below-market price from an authorized dealer (well known on AVS Forums).

Sigh... this starts the snowball rolling: new 4k display, Stratos, a couple more speakers, content...

Hey, Josh. I too have owned multiple Marantz pre-pros (AV8003, AV7005, AV8801, AV8802A), but my upgrades were more due to needing/wanting new features/performance rather than any quality issues.

I currently have the 8802A and love it. The sound quality, particularly with 2-channel music, is fantastic. Incredibly open and airy and dynamic sounding with lots of detail. I'm running 7.2.4 and have used Audyssey ProEQ and think it does a great job.

I definitely feel like the 8802A sounded more music and dynamic than the 8801, but don't have any experience with the 7703. I don't think the Anthem piece is a true "reference" solution, and definitely not a new version of the Statement. Marantz also isn't positioning the 7703 as a flagship replacement to the 8802A, but rather a rework of the entry pre-amp point.

As far as quality goes, all the Marantz gear comes with a 3-year warranty, so you should definitely be able to get those issues resolved.

Feel free to ask me any other specific 8802A questions.
Best,
John

Thanks all. Got the 8802A installed, configured, and room-corrected. Sounds great, especially on demo Atmos content, though not "night-and-day" upgrade from older 8801, which is to be expected. Pleased with the choice.

AV8802A improvements

I had the AV8801 in my system for a while, but found the speakers were clearly visible, both my Krell HTS 7.1 and S1200U-3D pre-amps created a "bubble" of sound where you couldn't tell where the sound was coming from, just blends seamlessly.

I have listened to a few ATMOS systems and was not impressed, I could hear the rock hit the water, but the ripples were missing. The new Krell Foundation pre-amp had some of the same issues, but had much better integration in 5.1, when I viewed the 8mm movie, the train door landed directly in the middle of my living room, like I was actually there.

How does the new AV8802A compare to your old AV8801 in the sound department for 5.1 and ATMOS?

I don't have a full ATMOS setup... I'm running 7.2 still, so can't really give a full report. The 88012 is probably a slight improvement on my 8801, but the difference is not dramatic. ATMOS content is very impressive in overall richness of sound and directionality, even without the full ATMOS high speakers. I'm pleased with the 8802, but until I put in a few more speakers, add in a Strato, I know I'm not really taking full advantage of what it can do.

As soon as the premier/Strato integration comes from K, I'll be ready to do the big upgrades.

Of all of the upgrades I have made, only a few caught my bride's attention and Atmos was one of them. Even on movies that are not Atmos encoded, the "up-sampling" by Dolby makes a huge difference. And it is very easy to A/B with and without the ceiling speakers. No contest in our home or any other place where I have heard it (two friends and two different CEDIAs).

My first Atmos SSP was the Marantz 7702 and it was excellent. I then did an upgrade (which my wife could not discern) to a newer more high end SSP and it was far better.

Long live Atmos !!!!!

Dolby Atmos ( Wife's Approval!)

OK guys I think I've found a way to get your wife's approval!
on the new Dolby Atmos gear you need to get.
I've been in the A/V world for about 25 years I've been married for about 19 of them.
I've only gotten my wife to agree with me twice about Audio/Video stuff.
Once was when DVD's came and HD TV came out.
That being said I wanted to get her opinion on Dolby Atmos.
Just recently the AMC Movie Theaters just started upgrading their large theaters to Dolby Atmos and 4K Dolby vision Projectors and I have to say the experience was pretty dam surprising!
I said for once the theater experience almost came close to one of my systems:)
Now normally when you take a lady to the movies and ask how did that look and sound??
Then they say it sounds the same to me and I didn't see a difference in the picture :(
Then you know what our response is?
Were like you've got to be kidding me! and they say NOPE!
Well I've got the answer for you!
The new AMC Dolby Theaters is where you need to take them.
I have to say their Dolby Atmos and 4K Dolby vision demo at the beginning of the movie is a pretty good demo!
I can say she actually said WOW! I can see and hear a difference!
Theaters are going to have to reinvent themselves to make people want to go back to the theater experience and this is one of the ways they're doing it.
So if your looking to do any upgrades or have any customers you want to give a demo to take them to the movies.
That's what I do for my clients that are doing dedicated Theaters.
I would take them to a regular theater for the regular experience. and when it was over I would say "I'll give you a money back guarantee that my theater will blow that away!"
Now granted I've only done that about 15 times but knock on wood.
I haven't had to give a refund yet:)
I have to say this is defiantly a step in the right direction for the movie industry to promote The Dolby Atmos and 4K Dolby vision experience.
Here's there page.
https://www.amctheatres.com/dolby

Howdy John,

I thought I would take you up on your offer to answer specific 8802a questions.

I posted on the problem I am having with an Anthem AVM60 and sm trying to find out if this is something that will plague the 8802 as well.

Can the 8802a play a DTS 5.1 signal in 5.1 in a 7.1 or greater system. That is Play it 'direct' with no upmixing. The need is to be able to set the processor up so that i can stream music in multiple formats and listen to them the way they were intended without out having to grab the remote and dive around menus and sub menus at the beginning of each song.

Will the 8802 do this?

-Shade

Hey, Josh. I too have owned
multiple Marantz pre-pros (AV8003, AV7005, AV8801, AV8802A), but my upgrades were more due to needing/wanting new features/performance rather than any quality issues.

I currently have the 8802A and love it. The sound quality, particularly with 2-channel music, is fantastic. Incredibly open and airy and dynamic sounding with lots of detail. I'm running 7.2.4 and have used Audyssey ProEQ and think it does a great job.

I definitely feel like the 8802A sounded more music and dynamic than the 8801, but don't have any experience with the 7703. I don't think the Anthem piece is a true "reference" solution, and definitely not a new version of the Statement. Marantz also isn't positioning the 7703 as a flagship replacement to the 8802A, but rather a rework of the entry pre-amp point.

As far as quality goes, all the Marantz gear comes with a 3-year warranty, so you should definitely be able to get those issues resolved.

Feel free to ask me any other specific 8802A questions.
Best,
John

Sure. Fire away! (Though I have since upgraded my 8802A to the 8805, but I'm happy to help!)

Back