• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Helix Media

audioguy123

Anyone ever heard about these guys? Found them by accident when looking for something else.

Assuming they are still around, how have they stayed out of the sights of the greedy movie industry?

Wow... big promises there. Would LOVE to see a demo of this thing.

http://www.helixmediasystems.com/

The teaser video they put out is kind of a mess in terms of production values and the way they try to explain all the things it does. So not sure how "real" the company is, but I do commend their efforts to unify so many different things in one system.

Oh, and if they really enable "ripping" of blu-ray, as they claim in the video and website, then they're headed for a heap of legal trouble.

Last edited:
Subsequent to my original post, I contacted the company. They offered me a discounted price if I wanted to buy one. But prior to shelling out any money, I had some very basic and reasonable questions. I have listed the questions below. These questions were submitted on February 7th. The communication interchange immediately stopped after I asked these questions.

1. Can you point me to a video or even stills that moves slow enough so I can see the user interface?

2. Does the system come with ripping software or is it my responsibility of adding one to the system?

3. If it comes with ripping software, then why aren’t you a target of Hollywood because THAT is exactly what got Kaleidescape into trouble.

4. Does it support 4K?

5. How long (approximately) does it take to load a typical BR movie?

6. Is there an iPad App for it in addition to the ability to use Control4?

7. What is the disc memory capacity of the $2500 demo model and what is the estimated number of BluRays that can be stored on it?

8. Is the disc memory expandable on the demo model?

9. Does the demo model use Raid Drives so that in case of a crash, I don’t have to re-rip all of the movies?

9. What would be the retail price of the $2500 demo system?

While K is not the perfect solution, it sure is the best. Each time I get in contact with one of these other players, the communication is really slow and eventually stops. My guess is that they are 2 or 3 person companies, at best. I actually had interest in this one to provide me a 4K solution since, in my opinion, the Strato falls short (no internal 4K disc reader for movies they don't have and no DV700 4K equivalent).

BUT, apparently you get what you pay for.

I suspect #3 may be the source of the silence. It does cut right into the heart of things and it may have made them feel like you were digging for info in a capacity other than that of a potential customer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know anything about their hardware but the software looks to me like it's just a skinned version of Kodi.

I suspect #3 may be the source of the silence. It does cut right into the heart of things and it may have made them feel like you were digging for info in a capacity other than that of a potential customer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Because the Strato does not currently meet my needs (K does not have ALL 4K Releases and the available is very slow so I have to have an external 4K player), I was looking for an automated 4K solution. So the question was asked to insure that if I went that direction, they would not soon be out of business when the Hollywood lawyers came calling.

So I am stuck with an external player that takes away from the entire K experience.

I agree. The way question #3 was posed to them will almost certainly mean they won't reply in writing. Too much risk in putting out an email with an answer to that.

I agree. The way question #3 was posed to them will almost certainly mean they won't reply in writing. Too much risk in putting out an email with an answer to that.

You are probably right. But, the more I think about it, even if they supported 4K, I would still end up with two parallel and disconnected systems.

I think the question was completely legitimate. After all, if you are buying something, you want to make sure you are not violating any laws in doing so and also do you really want to do business with someone who is potentially knowingly violating laws?

Sure as a matter of human nature, you guys are right, if you ask them such a pointed question, you are likely to not receive an answer... though I wonder if the non-reply doesn't tell you enough......

In my case, I'm simply waiting out the 4K adjustment for now... which is weird for me, I'm usually at the cutting edge, but with different HDR setups, and other variables, I'm just not ready to make the investment into 4K.

In my case, I'm simply waiting out the 4K adjustment for now... which is weird for me, I'm usually at the cutting edge, but with different HDR setups, and other variables, I'm just not ready to make the investment into 4K.

Very wise decision !!!

I looked into Helix and every other movie system. I similarly found them not very responsive. I did meet a dealer who had tested them extensively and wasn't impressed. I looked at a few other s as well But Kscape was easily the best.

But I'm left in a similar situation to you, I have a brand new movie room with 4k and Atmos. The only time I choose a blu ray over a 4k is when I want 3D! So Kscape does not meet my needs at the moment. But I still watch these forums closely as I would love to switch over and hope Kscape come up with a money spinning mass market product before vudu come up with something that will wipe them out.

I fear we may have longer to wait than we realize...

Sent from my MIX using Tapatalk

But I still watch these forums closely as I would love to switch over and hope Kscape come up with a money spinning mass market product before vudu come up with something that will wipe them out.

I fear we may have longer to wait than we realize...

Vudu is planning on delivering full bandwidth video and full bandwidth audio to compete against K? If either are not full bandwidth, then they are not a K competitor.

My guess is folks who can afford K products are not interested in audio or video that does not take full advantage of current technology. That is not to say that Vudu could not be massively successful in penetrating a large market but in order to do do their products would need to be about 1/10th (or less) the price of K products. The masses do not care about audio quality. They are perfectly happy with TV sound, or maybe a sound bar .. and certainly are not going to pay many thousands of dollars for a product (over and above the cost of their TV and sound bar) JUST TO WATCH/LISTEN TO a movie . There are a few exceptions that I am aware of, but very few.

I have been in the high end audio business for well over 25 years, and the high end market for audio and video is such a tiny, tiny, tiny, tiny portion of the population, that leaves room for lots of players. K does not cater, nor apparently will they, to the mass market which means Vudu (or Amazon or ......) has lots of room to play.

K may fail, but, in my opinion, Vudu won't be the cause.

Yes I'm sure right, the chances of them offering full res and audio downloads is remote. For audio it's been pain stakingly slow to get a good catalogue of high res music, although hopefully Tidal MQA has started cracking that nut.

I think the question was completely legitimate. After all, if you are buying something, you want to make sure you are not violating any laws in doing so and also do you really want to do business with someone who is potentially knowingly violating laws?

Sure as a matter of human nature, you guys are right, if you ask them such a pointed question, you are likely to not receive an answer... though I wonder if the non-reply doesn't tell you enough......

I hear you... and I wasn't saying it isn't a legitimate question. I just bet if you were somehow able to ask someone there a question in person, they might answer you verbally with what you (and we all) want to know. But by asking in an email, they probably feared responding in writing and may have even thought you could possibly be an industry lawyer or something.

If they're doing what they claim to do, then they have reason to fear that the industry will come after them.

Back