• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

HDR titles starting to appear

Drhemi

⭐️⭐️PATRON⭐️⭐️
HDR titles starting to show up in the store. Today The Amazing Spiderman 2, Concussion, Elysium, Ghostbusters II and Risen show availability in HDR and Atmos audio. Can hardly wait until my new display arrives and try it out!

Wayne

Actually, quite a few more titles are showing up as I type this!

Wayne

It is a little tricky though. After you select a title, when you get to "Download to:" you have to hit change, then select the 4K HDR version, otherwise you will just get the 4K UHD version.

Or if you have an Alto as part of your system (in addition to a Strato), it will also attempt to download the HD version - as compatible with the Alto. So change required there as well, otherwise 2 downloads.

Does this mean we will get a 4K HDR version of Deadpool very soon. Hope so

There is now a collection of "4K HDR" titles.

John

It is a little tricky though. After you select a title, when you get to "Download to:" you have to hit change, then select the 4K HDR version, otherwise you will just get the 4K UHD version.

Let me explain a little bit about how this works. The Movie Store already knows what players are in your system, and it automatically selects the best-quality version of the movie that your system can support. If you have a mix of player types (e.g.Strato and Alto), then it may select both a 4K Ultra HD version and a Blu-ray quality version so that you can play the movie in every zone.

Once your system is running 7.3, it will also tell the Movie Store what type of display connected to your Strato -- specifically, whether that display supports HDR. That information is then used when selecting the default download version. So, if you have an HDR-capable display connected to your Strato, you shouldn't have to manually select 4K HDR for download, provided that your player has had a chance to check in running 7.3.

If the version(s) chosen automatically aren't what you want, just click the little "Change" link in the download dialog to adjust which version or versions to download.

Note that 4K HDR movies cannot be played on non-HDR displays, including non-4K displays. Strato does not convert HDR content to standard dynamic range, which means that it also does not down-scale 4K HDR content for display on HD displays (since HD displays don't support HDR).

Also, as long as I'm posting here, just a word for folks who may already have purchased the 4K Ultra HD versions of these movies. If you have already purchased the 4K Ultra HD version, but you have an HDR-capable display, you will automatically also own the 4K HDR version, and you can download it if you wish. If you already have the 4K Ultra HD version on your system, you can keep both versions if you have a mix of display types, or if you just want to compare them. Or, you can delete the older version.

As with Blu-ray quality titles, if a 4K Ultra HD title that you've already downloaded is updated with Atmos audio, you will need to delete that title from your system (using the browser interface or the onscreen display), then re-download the movie to get the Atmos version.

As with Blu-ray quality titles, if a 4K Ultra HD title that you've already downloaded is updated with Atmos audio, you will need to delete that title from your system (using the browser interface or the onscreen display), then re-download the movie to get the Atmos version.

Mike

Will there be a notification that audio has been upgraded to Atmos/DTS-X on titles that are already held in a users library. Or are we expected to just keep checking the titles manually?

Thanks

Derek

Mike,

To clarify, I have not turned on any of the components in my system since the firmware update. Just downloading content for now.
The Strato is connected to a Lumagen Pro, which I have note configured for HDR yet.
Once everything is turned on and configured, the Strato should detect that I am HDR compatible. In this case, I am guessing downloads would automatically select the HDR version without having to change the version manually?

Let me explain a little bit about how this works. The Movie Store already knows what players are in your system, and it automatically selects the best-quality version of the movie that your system can support. If you have a mix of player types (e.g.Strato and Alto), then it may select both a 4K Ultra HD version and a Blu-ray quality version so that you can play the movie in every zone.

Once your system is running 7.3, it will also tell the Movie Store what type of display connected to your Strato -- specifically, whether that display supports HDR. That information is then used when selecting the default download version. So, if you have an HDR-capable display connected to your Strato, you shouldn't have to manually select 4K HDR for download, provided that your player has had a chance to check in running 7.3.

If the version(s) chosen automatically aren't what you want, just click the little "Change" link in the download dialog to adjust which version or versions to download.

Note that 4K HDR movies cannot be played on non-HDR displays, including non-4K displays. Strato does not convert HDR content to standard dynamic range, which means that it also does not down-scale 4K HDR content for display on HD displays (since HD displays don't support HDR).

Also, as long as I'm posting here, just a word for folks who may already have purchased the 4K Ultra HD versions of these movies. If you have already purchased the 4K Ultra HD version, but you have an HDR-capable display, you will automatically also own the 4K HDR version, and you can download it if you wish. If you already have the 4K Ultra HD version on your system, you can keep both versions if you have a mix of display types, or if you just want to compare them. Or, you can delete the older version.

Hi mike,

I have a 4K HDR display coming soon, but currently still have a 1080p set connected to the Strato. In preparation for the new display, I upgraded a number of 4K Ultra HD titles to 4K HDR, acknowledging the warning and accepting the "download anyways" statement. When I checked this morning on the K store site, it states that the HD versions were downloaded. I am not sure what happened. I would appreciate further clarification of this issue and instruction as to anything else I should be doing.

Thanks!

Wayne

PS. I found the change button this morning. I don't recall seeing that yesterday when I ordered these downloads. Hopefully this will resolve the issue until my new display arrives. Thanks.

Last edited:
Mike

Will there be a notification that audio has been upgraded to Atmos/DTS-X on titles that are already held in a users library. Or are we expected to just keep checking the titles manually?

Derek
We're working on something to make it easy to find out when there's an update to one of your movies. Don't know yet what form that will take.

Mike,

To clarify, I have not turned on any of the components in my system since the firmware update. Just downloading content for now.
The Strato is connected to a Lumagen Pro, which I have note configured for HDR yet.
Once everything is turned on and configured, the Strato should detect that I am HDR compatible. In this case, I am guessing downloads would automatically select the HDR version without having to change the version manually?

Correct. Once your Strato sees HDR support and passes that on to the Movie Store, downloads should default to HDR when available.

Hi mike,

I have a 4K HDR display coming soon, but currently still have a 1080p set connected to the Strato. In preparation for the new display, I upgraded a number of 4K Ultra HD titles to 4K HDR, acknowledging the warning and accepting the "download anyways" statement. When I checked this morning on the K store site, it states that the HD versions were downloaded. I am not sure what happened. I would appreciate further clarification of this issue and instruction as to anything else I should be doing.

Thanks!

Wayne

PS. I found the change button this morning. I don't recall seeing that yesterday when I ordered these downloads. Hopefully this will resolve the issue until my new display arrives. Thanks.

Sounds like you've got it sorted out, but please let us know if for some reason you're not able to download.

We're working on something to make it easy to find out when there's an update to one of your movies. Don't know yet what form that will take.

That feature would be greatly appreciated. Happy to know it is being worked on!

From K:

Dear Kaleidescape Customer:

The Kaleidescape Movie Store is the industry benchmark, offering the most pristine movies delivered over the Internet. Now we are raising the bar even higher by offering over thirty 4K titles with high dynamic range (HDR). Many of these titles also have a Dolby Atmos soundtrack.

4K HDR delivers the most vivid, lifelike image available today. HDR movies have richer, more accurate colors. Bright things can get bright enough to make you squint, and dark things can get truly dark. Explosions, fires, and sunsets never looked so realistic, except in real life.

Dolby Atmos transports you into the movie with audio that flows all around you with breathtaking realism. More channels of audio and overhead speakers provide an immersive, three-dimensional audio experience. Unlike streaming services, our Movie Store titles with Dolby Atmos are based on a “core” of lossless Dolby TrueHD 7.1 multichannel audio, for the best possible audio quality. (Streaming services use a lossy format for the core, if they offer Atmos at all.)

The amazing video and lossless Dolby Atmos soundtracks of these Internet-delivered titles are indistinguishable from those of 4K HDR Blu-ray discs. This superb quality together with the renowned Kaleidescape experience, provides the finest way to experience these titles anywhere. 4K HDR titles can be played on any Kaleidescape Strato movie player that is connected to a 4K HDR television or projector, and you can find them in the 4K HDR collection on the Movie Store.

These new additions to the Movie Store reflect our ongoing commitment to deliver the best possible cinema experience for your home. We will be adding many more 4K HDR titles to the Movie Store over the coming weeks and months, including more titles with Dolby Atmos.

Please note: If you have previously purchased a 4K Ultra HD version of any of these titles, then you can download the new 4K HDR version at no additional charge. You can delete the previously downloaded 4K Ultra HD version if you wish, or keep both versions if you have a mix of displays.

Sincerely,
The Kaleidescape Team

Anyone close to Kaleidescape offer any indications of when further titles and for that matter - other studios releasing 4K/HDR material are likely to start appearing.

More HDR content

It seems there is far more HDR content being released than what is showing up in the KScape store. Anything that can be shared when more UHD HDR content will be showing up?

Thx
Bryan

HI Just so I am clear. Will the store allow me to download HDR versions without being connected to an HDR projector?

Yes, you can download them, but it will give you a warning if your equipment is not compatible. However, unless you have an HDR capable display, you likely will not be able to play them. 4K titles can be downrezed to 1080p, but HDR titles, IIRC, only play when the Strato is connected to an HDR display.

Someone please chime in if I am not correct in this.

Wayne

Back