• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

HDR issues with my Kaleidescape and Anthem AVM90

Hello Everyone,

I'm running out of options... Just tried a 15 meter passive Ethereal 10.2 Gbps Passive 4K and I combined that with a HDM-GA1 HDMI Accelerator which gives 24Gbps then added another 1 meter Ethereal HDMI from GA1 to the projector and still no HDR with my Strato. It says, "This player is unable to negotiate an HDCP protected link over video HDMI." I was able to get HDR to work through my Anthem when I used a 6' HDMI cable by Audio Quest Pearl to the projector but 50' is a no go... So I thought I had a distance problem.

Anyone using a 50' HDMI with the AVM90 and getting HDR with a Strato as a source?

Anyone have any solutions?

Make sure the cable going from the Strato to the anthem is at least 6 ft long but ideally 3 meters. Shorter cables than that can cause issues.

Hello Everyone,

I'm running out of options... Just tried a 15 meter passive Ethereal 10.2 Gbps Passive 4K and I combined that with a HDM-GA1 HDMI Accelerator which gives 24Gbps then added another 1 meter Ethereal HDMI from GA1 to the projector and still no HDR with my Strato. It says, "This player is unable to negotiate an HDCP protected link over video HDMI." I was able to get HDR to work through my Anthem when I used a 6' HDMI cable by Audio Quest Pearl to the projector but 50' is a no go... So I thought I had a distance problem.

Anyone using a 50' HDMI with the AVM90 and getting HDR with a Strato as a source?

Anyone have any solutions?
I am glad to hear Brent with Ethereal was able to help you. If you want to support them for that effort, you might try their DPL Labs certified cables. For runs under 5m, I use MHX in my installations, unless the thickness isn't workable, then I use the MHY versions. For longer runs, like it sounds like you need for your preamp-to-projector run, maybe the Velox fiber HDMI would be a good choice. Your local dealer can help you with any of these wherever you are, but if you have difficulty, let me know, and I can send what you need. Also, I don't know about your AV switching, but the Strato can send video from the main HDMI output straight to the projector and audio from the second HDMI out, if it comes to that.

Miracles do happen! After countless hours on the phone with tech support with Anthem, where they finally gave up, my seller, Jim G. of my Sony projector and Kaleidescape, came to my rescue. He got me over to Metra AV, where Brent, ‘The Guru’ master of HDMI and everything electronic, was able to problem solved my issue with HDR not working.
Long story short the AVM90 has two zones of HDMI Out. Zone 1 has you know has HDMI Out 1 & 2. I was running HDMI Out 2 to my projector and HDMI Out 1 to a splitter that mirrored the image to a 4K tv in the game room and 4K 27” monitor in my equipment room. Well Brent tells me the two HDMI Outs for zone one is basically just a HDMI splitter. And that the native data from my other two displays was interfering with the EDID / metadata, in this case HDR, that went out to my projector. Sure enough, I pulled the HDMI out to the two other displays and the seas parted and HDR finally works! Brent suggested a splitter that will allow me to still use the three displays.
I can not say enough to Jim for providing the best customer service after the sale, and to Brent for being the Great Wizard and fixing my Tech issues!

I am glad to hear Brent with Ethereal was able to help you. If you want to support them for that effort, you might try their DPL Labs certified cables. For runs under 5m, I use MHX in my installations, unless the thickness isn't workable, then I use the MHY versions. For longer runs, like it sounds like you need for your preamp-to-projector run, maybe the Velox fiber HDMI would be a good choice. Your local dealer can help you with any of these wherever you are, but if you have difficulty, let me know, and I can send what you need. Also, I don't know about your AV switching, but the Strato can send video from the main HDMI output straight to the projector and audio from the second HDMI out, if it comes to that.
Thanks for chiming in.😊

Miracles do happen! After countless hours on the phone with tech support with Anthem, where they finally gave up, my seller, Jim G. of my Sony projector and Kaleidescape, came to my rescue. He got me over to Metra AV, where Brent, ‘The Guru’ master of HDMI and everything electronic, was able to problem solved my issue with HDR not working.
Long story short the AVM90 has two zones of HDMI Out. Zone 1 has you know has HDMI Out 1 & 2. I was running HDMI Out 2 to my projector and HDMI Out 1 to a splitter that mirrored the image to a 4K tv in the game room and 4K 27” monitor in my equipment room. Well Brent tells me the two HDMI Outs for zone one is basically just a HDMI splitter. And that the native data from my other two displays was interfering with the EDID / metadata, in this case HDR, that went out to my projector. Sure enough, I pulled the HDMI out to the two other displays and the seas parted and HDR finally works! Brent suggested a splitter that will allow me to still use the three displays.
I can not say enough to Jim for providing the best customer service after the sale, and to Brent for being the Great Wizard and fixing my Tech issues!
Yep, Brent is THE MAN. The info you mention here is critical, with the multiple displays. Many pained HDMI experiences have burned that into my brain.

Great that you got this working. Sounds frustrating. I know hindsight is 20/20 (especially with HDMI), but maybe this an example of something that could have been tackled differently. When something is not working in our complex setups, eliminate everything that you can and then add on component by component. EG, start with just your Strato connected to the AVM90 and your projector. Nothing else. @KDeering mentioned this in another thread and I thought it was really good advice. We often get other components interfering that makes debugging more complex. Have a great weekend with a working setup!

Thanks for the kind words @Trek737. No doubt that Brent gets the credit for solving the issue, he knew the right questions to ask, and even I learned something in this exchange regarding the Anthems!

Jim

First, I would like to thank all for the (very) kind words.
Secondly I must apologize for not asking about multiple connected displays during my initial discussions.
So, why was he having issues?
This all comes down to the intelligence side of HDMI (EDID), in this setup he was using both Zone 1 HDMI outputs, #1 (eARC) to a splitter with a 27” PC monitor and a standard 4K flat panel, #2 is going to his Pj. EDID* is the most critical part of HDMI and frequently the least understood, since it determines what is displayed it is important that all devices agree. The issue here is that both of the HDMI ports on output #1 are paralleled together and then an additional splitter was added to the mix. The Pj (not Sonys fault), does not get along well with other displays so it is preferable that it is the only connection. However in this case the 27” is being used as a rack based monitor for content and I assume that the flat panel is also used when the Pj is in operation. The solution here is typically an HDMI splitter that has internal scaling And EDID management.

Oh, that makes a lot of sense. I have found K to be very very finicky with regard to HDCP and HDMI behavior with any kind of splitter.

Thanks for the kind words @Trek737. No doubt that Brent gets the credit for solving the issue, he knew the right questions to ask, and even I learned something in this exchange regarding the Anthems!

Jim
First, I would like to thank all for the (very) kind words.
Secondly I must apologize for not asking about multiple connected displays during my initial discussions.
So, why was he having issues?
This all comes down to the intelligence side of HDMI (EDID), in this setup he was using both Zone 1 HDMI outputs, #1 (eARC) to a splitter with a 27” PC monitor and a standard 4K flat panel, #2 is going to his Pj. EDID* is the most critical part of HDMI and frequently the least understood, since it determines what is displayed it is important that all devices agree. The issue here is that both of the HDMI ports on output #1 are paralleled together and then an additional splitter was added to the mix. The Pj (not Sonys fault), does not get along well with other displays so it is preferable that it is the only connection. However in this case the 27” is being used as a rack based monitor for content and I assume that the flat panel is also used when the Pj is in operation. The solution here is typically an HDMI splitter that has internal scaling And EDID management.

You guys are AWESOME!!! Thanks again! I plugged my original Monoprice 8K 50’ active HDMI in today when I got back from work and it works with the Anthem / Kscspe like a charm. Of course my other two displays are disconnected for now. Waiting on my new splitter that Brent recommended.

Over three months with Kaleidescape and it’s finally working like it should!

Below pic says it all! 🥳

Attachments

• C3590045-70BC-4572-A2F7-A37FCF135C62.jpeg
    C3590045-70BC-4572-A2F7-A37FCF135C62.jpeg
    509 KB · Views: 22
Just some of the road kill in trying to solve the Big HDR mystery!😂

Attachments

• 24E5B7E9-AD96-4C55-A479-4E213C75A872.jpeg
    24E5B7E9-AD96-4C55-A479-4E213C75A872.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 27

Back