• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

HDR issues with my Kaleidescape and Anthem AVM90

Trek737

Hello to everyone,

I just bought a new Strato C / 48TB Terra and Sony VPL-XW7000ES from Jim. My HDR movies from K have been downgraded to HD as the HDR signal that goes from the Strato to my new Anthem AVM90 preamp is not going through. When we by pass the Anthem and take the HDMI straight from the Strato to the Sony projector the HDR on my Kaleidescape settings says YES and it says NO when I run it through the Anthem. I have tried different HDMI cables from Monoprice 4K 48gbs HDR, to Audio Quest Pearl all with the same results. This would make you believe this is an Anthem issue. But after working countless hours with them they said well HDR works when you use Apple tv so it's not our issue. Though I have to admit I prefer the brighter image of 4K SDR then the darker image of 4K HDR on Apple TV.

I'm literally at wits end spending most of my free time and losing sleep at night trying to solve this problem. Over 25% of my movies are now HD instead of UHD/HDR and the frustration is wearing me out.

I hoping that someone here either owns an AVM90 and can tell me their experience or that someone has a solution to my problem.

Thanks so much in advance,
Jim

Use your computer browser to look at the Kaleidescape Settings page to view the settings of your player, under the Video tab there's a "Show video capabilities and status" button. See if there's a difference when connected directly and via your AVR

I believe there’s a known issue with the Anthem 8K HDMI boards which could very well be causing your issues.

Are you running Anthem beta firmware? I thought this was addressed in some of the recent/active betas?

Use your computer browser to look at the Kaleidescape Settings page to view the settings of your player, under the Video tab there's a "Show video capabilities and status" button. See if there's a difference when connected directly and via your AVR
Thanks for chiming in... That's how we found out there was an issue. Bob at K tech support said my HDR was showing No in the settings. When he ask me to by pass the AVM90 and run the HDMI directly from the Strato C to the projector it said YES on the K settings you mentioned.

I believe there’s a known issue with the Anthem 8K HDMI boards which could very well be causing your issues.

Thanks... I have not heard about that...

Jim G. has been a big help in trying to get this issue resolved. He pointed me to HDFury and Metra AV. I spoke with a very knowledgeable guy named Brent at Metra AV. He said it's a metadata issue between my three components ie Strato, AVM90 and the projector. I have a 50' 8K 48Gbps Fiber Optic HDMI that runs from the AVM90 to my projector. He says all it takes is just a small gap in the HDMI communications window and the info / metadata can be lost. He suggested I buy the HDM-JR3 to handle the hand shake issues. I just bought it from Crutchfield and will see if this solves my problem.

Are you running Anthem beta firmware? I thought this was addressed in some of the recent/active betas?
The beta firmware addressed the screen going black, picture no picture, which mine did and the update fix it. Now I’m dealing with HDR issues.

One step closer into finding out the problem with the HDR not going through from my Strato C to my AVM90. Turns out when I moved my projector beside my rack and used a 6' HDMI cable HDR worked. Ironically the 50' cable worked when I by passed the Anthem but not with the Anthem... So now I'm looking for a new HDMI 50' cable that plays nice with my equipment... Any suggestions?

One step closer into finding out the problem with the HDR not going through from my Strato C to my AVM90. Turns out when I moved my projector beside my rack and used a 6' HDMI cable HDR worked. Ironically the 50' cable worked when I by passed the Anthem but not with the Anthem... So now I'm looking for a new HDMI 50' cable that plays nice with my equipment... Any suggestions?

I’m using the RUIPRO 8k fiber optic HDMI for a 45ft and 50ft run from two different Strato C’s. Works great.

Yes that’s the one. I’m not using it for “no reason”, it’s well reviewed and having used the brand in the past, they’ve worked well for me. But yea, only a suggestion. Choose whatever works best for you.

I have long cable runs (50ft) in my system and since swapping to Ruipro I haven't had any problems with my Kaleidescape / Lumagen / Projector (or TV) connections. I have a Datasat RS20i in my cinema room so not using 8K / Anthem but as I said the Ruipro fixed the problems I was having previously.

I’d suggest using a 4K active cable unless you need an 8K cable. People are running 8K cables for no reason and it just boosts edge rates and causes issues.
Yes that’s the one. I’m not using it for “no reason”, it’s well reviewed and having used the brand in the past, they’ve worked well for me. But yea, only a suggestion. Choose whatever works best for you.
I have long cable runs (50ft) in my system and since swapping to Ruipro I haven't had any problems with my Kaleidescape / Lumagen / Projector (or TV) connections. I have a Datasat RS20i in my cinema room so not using 8K / Anthem but as I said the Ruipro fixed the problems I was having previously.

Thanks guys... I'm off to Amazon to buy a RUIPRO HDMI cable.... Cross your fingers this does the trick!

The Cleerline fiber HDMI cables have always been a solid choice for my customers.

Again, if you do not have essentially a PS5 or Xbox Series X that you are using 4K120 with, I would HIGHLY suggest you stick to 4K active cables. There is ZERO benefit to 8K active cables if you do not need them for those two sources and they can actually cause more problems because 8K fiber cables have higher edge rates which many displays may struggle with. HDMI 2.1 chips are having issues all over the industry with stability and are largely not needed outside of gaming but people insist on changing out their cabling and making the system LESS reliable because of it, all because marketing is telling them they need something they don't.

Bad news... I tried the 50' 4K & 8K RUIPRO HDMI cables and still no HDR for my Strato... It worked with the 6' HDMI but the long distance it is a no go. Any suggestions?

So the 50ft goes from the anthem to projector? What cable are you using from Strato to anthem?

Back