• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

HDMI Over Ethernet Suggestion

bdo21

I need an inexpensive HDMI over ethernet solution so I can locate my M700 in the plant room before I can afford another compact player for a TV room. I will probably get an M500 in the future so I don’t want to waste much money on a temporary HDMI over Ethernet solution but I need something that works! Are there any products/brands which users here can recommend?

Thanks!

What is the distance between the source (M700) and your display?

Jim

I have a couple of options:

1) Direct CAT6A cable from plant room to TV location (without going through switches): Cable length is around 30m

2) As above but introducing a switch if the product operates over IP

3) In a few weeks, option 2 could be changed to run over a 1GB fibre uplink and then a short 7-8m CAT6A cable (but option 1 would still be available)

Thanks Jim!

There are many out there that will work, even the simple one that Monoprice (BitPath AV HDMI) sells will work (need the set), about $89. They have other reasonable priced options as well. We've only installed a couple, but they worked fine (HD content, which is fine in your setup given your not using UHD). There are many other manufacturer's to consider as well, and most of the main players in this area are available online, some even sell on Amazon. The more expensive brands (bigger budget, but not necessarily better performing), are in the $300 to 500 range (Gefen, Atlona, others). That said, don't know your budget, and having a number would narrow your choices.

Jim

Thanks Jim - that’s helpful. It’s only temporary so I’ll go for one of the cheaper options.

Thanks!

Hey @bdo21 did you have any luck with this? What make/model did you go for? I’m looking at exploring something similar. Thanks

I have an Atlona HDMI over Cat 5 system that I replaced with Fiberoptic cable. Only used a few months. I will let it go real cheap, plus shipping if you're interested

I have an Atlona HDMI over Cat 5 system that I replaced with Fiberoptic cable. Only used a few months. I will let it go real cheap, plus shipping if you're interested

I also have one of these, Atlona HDR over Cat5e kit that I no longer need since we moved and were able to hardwire. Carries a 4k 60 signal if need be. Message me if interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks both. what model is it you are both referring to? I’ve not come across them before but I see it’s a Panduit company so quality must be top notch. I bought one of these to try between my M700 and Strato over LAN and it works great although I have only done a couple of mini tests. Nothing of anything at length or when other stuff is happening in the network

Thanks! Does that model support direct connection only or does it work over LAN when there are switch(es) in the path? I'd need it to do that with my setup and unfortunately it looks like direction connection only from what I can tell from the manual. In fact, I don't seem to be able to see any Atlona components that support transmission over LAN - although I'd have to assume they do support that somewhere?

Thanks! Does that model support direct connection only or does it work over LAN when there are switch(es) in the path? I'd need it to do that with my setup and unfortunately it looks like direction connection only from what I can tell from the manual. In fact, I don't seem to be able to see any Atlona components that support transmission over LAN - although I'd have to assume they do support that somewhere?

Is it a single cable that needs video and data? Or two cables with a switch in between destination?

If one cable, you could use HDBaseT with Ethernet passthrough. I believe the LAN IP extenders need their own switch or VLAN.

Here is HDBaseT with ethernet from Monoprice.

Thanks @sbutter. For my setup, it's over a switch(es). I looked at the Monoprice Bitpath product but I couldn't get it in the UK - least not in my timescales. The one's I bought by MYPIN (??) seem to work over LAN/switches perfectly fine but I haven't used them in anger yet. Really depends if I can use my M700s as players as I'm hoping rather than M500s or Altos (if I don't keep my Premier stuff)... but that's in another thread :)

Back