• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

HDMI Content Metadata Settings?

Steve Bruzonsky

The Kaleidescape Strato C "Settings" menu has a section "HDMI Content Metadata" which states that:

"The player can transmit hints over HDMI to indicate when the video signal carries movie playback or the Kaleidescape OSD. This feature allows certain displays and processors to adjust their video processing automatically. The way the processing is adjusted is device specific. When using this setting, please confirm your display's video settings and calibration during playback and during OSD display."

Then you have two choices:

"Do not transmit content type metadata (Default)"

"Transmit content type metadata"

With my Sony VW5000 projector and Lumagen Radiance Pro with DTM, I hadn't paid attention to this, but my theater is down for renovation and I have hooked up the Strato C to my basement system with a little but nice 65"LG OLED. I have also hooked up in that system both a Panasonic UB-820 (which will stay there) and also a brand new Pioneer UDP-LX500 (which will accompany the Strato C to my theater when its done). Really like the Pioneer, it has both settings for type of tv (in this case set to OLED) and for nits by 50 nits increments all the way to 700 (I have it set to 450 for the OLED). This made me wonder if KScape has any such adjustment, since I am not using my Lumagen Radiance Pro in my basement system.

I understand that if I check "Transmit content type metadata" that KScape will simply output the same metadata that's on the disc. But if I check "Do not transmit content type metadata (Default)" what exactly does this mean? Does this mean with my tvs that KScape will sense the type and brightness of the tv and adjust the picture accordingly, or what the heck does it do if anything?

Hi Steve,

This feature is intended for displays like some of the Barco projectors that do auto-aspect detection. Dark areas of the OSD can confuse those displays, but if they pay attention to this content type metadata, then they can disable auto-aspect while in the OSD.

It does not affect other content metadata.

My Lumagen Radiance Pro has auto aspect detection which I have turned on. Does this mean that I should check "Transmit content type metadata" since I am using the Lumagen's auto aspect detection?

Also, is the content type metadata the same as encoded on the disc version, or does Kaleidescape code the content type metadata so it is correct (as many discs have incorrect content type metadata encoded)?

In your setup using the Lumagen and Sony 5000, you do not need to use this option (Transmit content type metadata), the Sony doesn't need the "hints," it will correctly switch between AR's when displaying the OSD and movie content.

Not sure about the second question (I think I know the answer, but better to have Mike, or Mr. Green comment).

Jim

In my Kaleidescape's settings, I used to have "HDMI Content Type Metadata" set to "Transmit content type metadata". The madVR Kaleidescape Setup Guide (https://madvrenvy.com/wp-content/uploads/Envy-Setup-Guide-KScape-r103.pdf) actually recommends using this setting. This setting worked fine for me, but when I switched my processor from a Marantz AV7705 to the new Marantz AV 10, this setting stopped working for me.

My setup is a cinemascope screen (2.40:1 aspect ratio). Connectivity is as follows:

Kaleidescape => Marantz AV 10 => madVR Envy Pro => JVC DLA RS-1000 Projector

When I changed my processor to the Marantz AV 10, I got this behavior:

With the Kaleidescape OSD showing (such as the Kaleidescape movie wall or any other Kaleidescape OSD), if I press a button on my processor's remote that brings up a processor's overlay (such as volume, or info on sound format, etc.), the madVR Envy's automatic aspect ratio feature correctly resizes the video image so that Kaleidescape's OSD "shrinks" so that both the Kaleidescape and the processor's OSD both show up on the screen. For example, the processor's volume overlay would normally appear below the visible part of the cinemascope screen, so the madVR resizes the image so that both the Kaleidescape and processor overlay show up. However, when the processor's OSD overlay disappears, the Kaleidescape's OSD remains in its "shrunken" state, surrounded by black bars above, below, and to the sides of the OSD; i.e. the Kaleidescape OSD does not revert back to filling up my cinemascope screen. The only way I can get the Kaleidescape OSD to appear correctly is to either restart the Kaleidescape player, or reload the madVR or restart the madVR.

Then, I changed the Kaleidescape's setting “HDMI Content Type Metadata” to "Do not transmit content type medatadata (default)", and voila! It fixed this problem. I can bring up the processor's various overlay OSDs (e.g. volume control and info), and the madVR automatically adjusts the aspect ratio, and when I exit the processor's overlay, the madVR correctly resizes the Kaleidescape OSD back to filling up the cinemascope screen.

The only change was switching my processor from the Marantz AV7705 to the AV 10. So, I don't know why this would cause an issue, but at least the issue is resolved.

Back