• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

HDD question on KSERVER-1500

NoobDude

I pulled the drives on the server to see what was in there, under the settings - component consol page it says the maximum storage is 7957GB. When visually inspecting the drives, the server has two WD 2TB KDISK-2000-L drives, one 4TB HGST drive, and one WD Purple 6TB Surveillance drive. The two 2TB and one 4TB drives are Kaleidescape certified drives, the WD Purple is not. Could someone explain what I am looking at here please? Perhaps a RAID explanation on this setup too please?

I pulled the drives on the server to see what was in there, under the settings - component consol page it says the maximum storage is 7957GB. When visually inspecting the drives, the server has two WD 2TB KDISK-2000-L drives, one 4TB HGST drive, and one WD Purple 6TB Surveillance drive. The two 2TB and one 4TB drives are Kaleidescape certified drives, the WD Purple is not. Could someone explain what I am looking at here please? Perhaps a RAID explanation on this setup too please?
They should all be K certified drives, regardless of whether they’re labelled as such, otherwise the system would reject them. In terms of RAID, the largest drive, 6TB, is reserved for RAID protection, giving you, as your settings page is reporting, 8TB of usable storage.

They should all be K certified drives, regardless of whether they’re labelled as such, otherwise the system would reject them. In terms of RAID, the largest drive, 6TB, is reserved for RAID protection, giving you, as your settings page is reporting, 8TB of usable storage.
the 6TB drive is the only one without a K certification label on it, perhaps this system allows non certified drives?

Attachments

• IMG_7869.jpeg
    IMG_7869.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 30

Attachments

• Ksettings.JPG
    Ksettings.JPG
    89 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
As mpierson said:

Hence the 8Tb reported - I have never seen an a non labeled drive...........

Nope, the systems are proprietory and no public utilities exist.

Posting a picture of your system settings page would be more useful as then you (we) could see the storage etc. The WD-Purple drive looks like a basic drive so should not work or form part of the useable storage.

I suggest you read the support pages on the Kaleidescape site as all is explained there.

Thank you for the link, I had read through a lot of material on the site and been trying to understand how this technology is used. so the way i might be understanding the RAID setup is first three drives, the two 2TB and the 4TB are striped for 8TB volume and the 6TB is set for Parity?

As mpierson said:

Hence the 8Tb reported - I have never seen an a non labeled drive...........
not sure if you saw the pic i posted further up this thread with all four drives, three are labelled certified, the WD Purple has no label for K certification on it.

This is one of my drives (photographed when new a few years ago). Looks like the same model as your 6TB, except mine has a small cert label at the bottom. Maybe your label has peeled off or wasn’t affixed in the first place for some reason. From what your settings page is reporting though, it most certainly looks legitimate. You’re right about the 4th drive being reserved for parity, and with mixed size disk sets it will always be the largest one.

Attachments

• 7F329218-E4CD-4EBC-A807-9BEEA717E3E1.jpeg
    7F329218-E4CD-4EBC-A807-9BEEA717E3E1.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 14
This is one of my drives (photographed when new a few years ago). Looks like the same model as your 6TB, except mine has a small cert label at the bottom. Maybe your label has peeled off or wasn’t affixed in the first place for some reason. From what your settings page is reporting though, it most certainly looks legitimate. You’re right about the 4th drive being reserved for parity, and with mixed size disk sets it will always be the largest one.
That's weird why they would use a WD purple drive, I thought those are setup for surveillance system use where they are written to more than read from...well, if the label fell off, i haven't found it, but it's working, so can't argue that.

Back