• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

HD download vs 4K disc, which do you get?

Substance

⭐️⭐️PATRON⭐️⭐️
You find out that the movie you are about to buy from the store is in HD only but there is a 4K disc release. Do you still buy the HD digital copy or get the 4K disc instead? (Or do you get both?)

How about for those SD only titles? Do you buy the Blu-ray copy instead?

I have a CoStar’ed Encore and Premiere system. I get the Blu-ray discs for unavailable and SD only titles in the Store. I also get the Blu-ray disc version of the movies if they are from Criterion Collection.

In the past, I bought the 4K disc versions if the Store only had HD. Now I am making a compromise on the video resolution because I really like the convenience of the Kaleidescape system. How do you go about this dilemma?

I usually end up getting the 4k version on disk, because far too often that is the only way to get the special features. My real preference is grabbing the 3D version on disc, if one exists, since that is the only way to get/watch 3D content and it makes the D2D fee less galling (compared to thinking about paying the HD-to-UHD "upgrade price" while you have the remote in one hand and the 4k-shiny in your other.) Not that I care about streaming, but it also gives the MA code (should a need ever come up.)

Getting the BD of a SD-only on K would depend on how well reviewed it was. It is most likely just a factory-upscale, and there's some decent processing in my chain (including the K itself,) so it would come down to if the disk's technical merits warrant the purchase & occupying a vault slot. Just as likely it will depend on which has more/better extras.

You find out that the movie you are about to buy from the store is in HD only but there is a 4K disc release. Do you still buy the HD digital copy or get the 4K disc instead? (Or do you get both?)

How about for those SD only titles? Do you buy the Blu-ray copy instead?

I have a CoStar’ed Encore and Premiere system. I get the Blu-ray discs for unavailable and SD only titles in the Store. I also get the Blu-ray disc version of the movies if they are from Criterion Collection.

In the past, I bought the 4K disc versions if the Store only had HD. Now I am making a compromise on the video resolution because I really like the convenience of the Kaleidescape system. How do you go about this dilemma?
Buy the disk (4K or BR) if it is the superior resolution - rip it and store it on a small NAS I maintain for this very reason.

I only buy discs if it's a title I want in the library, and disc is the only option. This does not apply to titles I expect to see in the Store within a reasonable time, either as a premium rental, or for purchase. I usually pass on those titles and wait for the K release (as I get older I get more patient. 😄)

Jim

I only buy discs if it's a title I want in the library, and disc is the only option. This does not apply to titles I expect to see in the Store within a reasonable time, either as a premium rental, or for purchase. I usually pass on those titles and wait for the K release (as I get older I get more patient. 😄)

Jim
Is there a way to know what’s coming soon other than the few preorders? Does Kaleidescape have a release calendar or they plan to have one?

I think he's referring to movies....(@Track)

That's a good question @Substance, but I think all they currently provide is the pre-order section under "Collections." Others here post lists of upcoming releases, but that's general info that may or may not have any relevance to the Store's inventory (it's up to the Studios).

Jim

My disc buying has slowed way down due to K, although I still get impatient at times and buy new 4K if not in the K-Store yet or if I want Atmos and K hasn't upgraded yet. Then I still buy some HD (Blu-ray) discs if not available in HD on K and I can get them cheap, not new.

I'm still waiting for the Zen like patience some have in this thread. As Track says above, I'm way behind on watching, but that doesn't seem to stop me from continuing to buy more movies.

I’ve moved on from buying discs completely, and other than roughly 150 titles (mostly concerts) that are stored in my vault, I’ve actually sold off or given away all discs I did own.

Andy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is there a way to know what’s coming soon other than the few preorders? Does Kaleidescape have a release calendar or they plan to have one?

In many cases, movie studios include a start date before which retailers (like us) are not allowed to advertise a movie. So even if we know that we will be offering a movie in the store, we are not always able to say so. If we are allowed to take pre-orders for movies, then once we can advertise the movie, we can begin taking orders.

Also, we have tended to be cautious in announcing release dates for pre-orders, just in case we run into some kind of technical issue that delays our ability to offer it. For example, we may find that we need to do another encoding pass to deliver quality that meets our standard, and that ends up delaying release by a couple of days. So that's why you'll sometimes see a movie available for pre-order but with a "To be announced" release date.

Back