• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Having to Reboot My 3U Server

Steven

Hi,

I have had a problem recently, where while watching a movie it begins to 'skip.' It's hard for me to choose the right word to describe it, but it sort of hesitates, plays, stutters, freezes for just a fraction of a second, plays...etc.

I know that is not a very good description, and my first thought was that possibly it could be a network issue. But when I notice it, it happens from the player that is in the rack next to the rack that has the 3U server in it, which is connected to the same Cisco switch. So I really don't see too many opportunities for congestion or anything like that. The thing about it is that I have tried to reboot the player, and that doesn't do anything. However, when I reboot the server, it will play fine after that for some time before happening again.

I wonder if it is a hard drive failing, but I just really have no idea where to troubleshoot from here. If anyone has any ideas, I'd sure appreciate it.

Thanks, Steven:confused:

I agree that checking your network first was a good idea. This could still be a network issue, but it could also be a Player, Server, drive, movie import, or HDMI cable issue.

Does this happen with other movies as well?
Does it always happen at the same point in the movie being played back?
If you have the ability, try playback on a different Player (same movie, and diff, movie).
Try changing the HDMI cable, and playing the same movie, and a diff. movie.
If resetting the Server works temporarily, about how long does it take before the problem appears again.
Confirm this happens with several different imports (try imports that were imported on different days).
You might also try new Cat 5e/6 cable, if possible, but I'd try that last.

If the problem persists, K support will need to look at the logs for your system. It will be helpful to have answers to the questions above.

Jim

It could be your network switch. They do wear out and this behavior is what happens on my setup when a switch is going bad. Try plugging the player and or server into different ports in the switch. Sometimes that helps. But in the end it may simply be the switch wearing out.

Oh yeah, that is a good point Jerry. I wish either the server or player had two NICs, to be able to do a direct connect to eliminate the switch. I guess I could switch switch ports to see if it was a bad port.

Switch switch...nice....

Thanks, Steven

I agree that checking your network first was a good idea. This could still be a network issue, but it could also be a Player, Server, drive, movie import, or HDMI cable issue.

Does this happen with other movies as well?
Does it always happen at the same point in the movie being played back?
If you have the ability, try playback on a different Player (same movie, and diff, movie).
Try changing the HDMI cable, and playing the same movie, and a diff. movie.
If resetting the Server works temporarily, about how long does it take before the problem appears again.
Confirm this happens with several different imports (try imports that were imported on different days).
You might also try new Cat 5e/6 cable, if possible, but I'd try that last.

If the problem persists, K support will need to look at the logs for your system. It will be helpful to have answers to the questions above.

Jim

Jim/All,

Thank you for that input, sometimes it's tough to think systematically about things when you are frustrated with what is happening. The questions may have been rhetorical, but:

1. There is no specific movie with which it happens. It seems to be movie-agnostic.

2. Does not happen at any particular time/place in the movie.

3. Different players have experienced the same issue, but not at the same time. I cannot duplicate a particular issue at the same time with multiple players.

4. I'll have to dig to replace the HDMI, unfortunately. But that is a good suggestion, since I know there are sync issues that can happen there.

5. Problem does not appear at any particular time after reset.

6. I'll have to investigate the movie imports, but I'm pretty sure there is no similar import times.

7. Changing the Ethernet cable is also a good suggestion. I know that those ends can get tweaked and are often an issue. I will investigate that.

Just curious, how difficult is it to have K peruse the logs to see if anything is obvious? I'm just trying to compare that time with what it will take to climb behind my racks :eek:

Thanks Again, Steven

Have your dealer contact K support and request they look into the issue. They can do a quick check to see if anything is obvious. It helps a lot if you can provide an actual time (hour/day) that the problem was /is noticed. This helps K search faster.

Jim

Having to reboot server

Almost certainly network issue.Have seen this a couple of times, I then checked all network connections and in both cases found faulty factory made network cables.

Once upon a time I had a stereo component that seemingly wasn't working. It turned out to be a cable that for some reason simply went bad- though it was working the day before- it was maddening until I decided to check the simplest thing- the cable. Go figure...

I have this exact issue being described - infrequently - movies skipping, freezing, loss of speech, etc - I reboot the 1U server and it goes away for awhile - not tied to a specific movie or amount of time after reboot. Sent this post to my dealer, hopefully they can sniff it out for me. They're coming onsite next week to upgrade the 1U to 3U - good timing! Thanks for posting this - very helpful to see/hear others with similar problem.

I had the same problem and rebooting seemingly helped for a bit. It was the network switch. They do wear out.

Back