• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Great 4K HDR demo scenes

Great 4K HDR demo scenes 1.0

No permission to download

josh

Administrator
Staff member
Forum Administrator
⭐️⭐️PATRON⭐️⭐️
josh submitted a new resource:

Great 4K HDR demo scenes - Want to really test or demonstrate the HDR capabilities of your system? These scenes push the limits

These are my "go-to" scenes to really push the limits of 4K HDR and show what it can do on a properly calibrated system. They were picked for extreme contrast, definition, and high production values.

Movies featured in this script: (you don't NEED all these movies... if you have a subset of those, the script will just play the scenes from the movies you own)

⬆⬆⬆ If you primarily watch action and super hero movies, this may not be for you, but wow is it well made and has some of the best HDR production I've seen. Good songs too. I highly recommend it, for A/V quality but also for the movie itself.

Read more about this resource...

Last edited:
Nice Scrip! Thanks for posting.

I just had one problem with it - the “Incredibles 2“ scene wouldn’t load and said I didn’t have the movie (I do). I will have to investigate this and see if I have an older version.

Also, great documentation on what is included.

John

I also ran into the same problem where several titles that I do own were not recognized. I will make sure all titles are up to date and check to see if that helps. I am looking forward to trying out the script shortly.

Thanks for all the hard work and for sharing with fellow enthusiasts.

Wayne

josh submitted a new resource:

Great 4K HDR demo scenes - Want to really test or demonstrate the HDR capabilities of your system? These scenes push the limits

Read more about this resource...
I tried to add this script to my Stratos (two units) Premier (3U) setup but the Import showed non of the movies are available although I have 80% of them.
I have installed your other scripts the same way in the past so I am confused why I cannot import this one.

I tried to add this script to my Stratos (two units) Premier (3U) setup but the Import showed non of the movies are available although I have 80% of them.
I have installed your other scripts the same way in the past so I am confused why I cannot import this one.

Make sure you are adding as a “Script” and not as “Scenes“. Also, these are all 4K HDR scenes so they won’t load to the Premiere server.

John

Thanks - I did try as a script.
Noticed that in the Premiere web interface there is a place to add scripts BUT I could not see a place to add scripts (or scenes) in the Stratos interface.

Make sure you are adding as a “Script” and not as “Scenes“. Also, these are all 4K HDR scenes so they won’t load to the Premiere server.

John
If there is tutorial how to install scripts on a Stratos/Terra - Premiere system via Costar/Lumagen it will be great

Yes, I think we do need more instructions on how to do this on a Strato/Terra.

Weirdly, as far as I can tell, there's no easy way to get to the scripting interface on the new 4K system without knowing a special URL. Find the I.P. address of your system (can find that by going to the web interface for any of the 4k components, then go to Settings->Components.)

Once you know your IP address (of any strato or terra), type that IP address in your browser and add "/scripts" to the end of the address.

I feel like I must have missed a way on the UI to get to this, as it's not very Kaleidescape-like to make a user edit a URL to get to a feature.

So you'd put this into your browser: http://{IP Address of any Terra/Strato)/scripts. In my case, it will be http://192.168.1.20/scripts or http://192.168.1.21 since I have two stratos with hard-coded IP addresses), but your address will almost certainly be different than mine.

This may be a good reason to set at least one of your stratos or terra to a hard-coded IP address rather than DHCP... that way you can bookmark the scripting interface and it will always stay the same. If your systems are set to DHCP, the scripting interface will have a different address each time you access it. (or at least frequently).

Once you're at the script page, choose "Import from File"... and it should import and show you which movies it found on your system that relate to that script.

Last edited:

Weirdly, as far as I can tell, there's no easy way to get to the scripting interface on the new 4K system without knowing a special URL. Find the I.P. address of your system (can find that by going to the web interface for any of the 4k components, then go to Settings->Components.)

Once you know your IP address (of any strato or terra), type that IP address in your browser and add "/scripts" to the end of the address.

I feel like I must have missed a way on the UI to get to this, as it's not very Kaleidescape-like to make a user edit a URL to get to a feature.

So you'd put this into your browser: http://{IP Address of any Terra/Strato)/scripts. In my case, it will be http://192.168.1.20/scripts or http://192.168.1.21 since I have two stratos with hard-coded IP addresses), but your address will almost certainly be different than mine.

This may be a good reason to set at least one of your stratos or terra to a hard-coded IP address rather than DHCP... that way you can bookmark the scripting interface and it will always stay the same. If your systems are set to DHCP, the scripting interface will have a different address each time you access it. (or at least frequently).

Once you're at the script page, choose "Import from File"... and it should import and show you which movies it found on your system that relate to that script.
Danka - will try tonight and report back

@JohnJ The post above that I just added makes me realize that the script files for Premier line and Strato line are different. Not sure about FavScene files. But we probably will have to mark our script files that are uploaded with a notation about whether that script is for premier line or strato line equipment?

@JohnJ I added a field to the Script Resources that forces a user to pick 4K or Premier script. But now even I'm unsure if the script itself is different, or if it just needs to find the right movie on the system the script is on? (i.e. can a script on a Strato call for SD/HD scenes if those movies are stored on the strato/terra and not on a co-star premier server? I'd guess the answer is yes). Also not sure what would happen if a script was intended to call a 4K scene or chapter but only the HD version is on that server... would it reject that step and say you don't have that movie, or would it substitute the same chapter/scene if it found it on the lower-quality source? We might need some input here from @J.Green or @MikeKobb to fully describe how scripts work on each of the two server types.

Another thing I'm now curious about... once you pair players in a costar system, wouldn't that mean you've forever lost access to any scripts that were on the premier-line components? (at least in that zone). It seems like favorite scenes work fine in a paired system, but since the scripting systems are different, you only have access to scripts on the strato/terra since you are actually interacting with just the strato/terra when using the TV interface on a costar'ed player.

@JohnJ The post above that I just added makes me realize that the script files for Premier line and Strato line are different. Not sure about FavScene files. But we probably will have to mark our script files that are uploaded with a notation about whether that script is for premier line or strato line equipment?

The Script files can be for either Premiere or Encore system or both. It all depends on where the movies are loaded. However, 4K scenes can only be on an Encore system but HD could be on either. The user just needs to know where his titles are loaded in order to load the Script to the right server.

John

Another thing I'm now curious about... once you pair players in a costar system, wouldn't that mean you've forever lost access to any scripts that were on the premier-line components? (at least in that zone). It seems like favorite scenes work fine in a paired system, but since the scripting systems are different, you only have access to scripts on the strato/terra since you are actually interacting with just the strato/terra when using the TV interface on a costar'ed player.

Yes, this is the case. If you want to access Scripts or music from a Premiere system, you need at least one player that is not paired with a Co-Star.

John

Worked like a Charm - Thank you

@JohnJ I added a field to the Script Resources that forces a user to pick 4K or Premier script. But now even I'm unsure if the script itself is different, or if it just needs to find the right movie on the system the script is on? (i.e. can a script on a Strato call for SD/HD scenes if those movies are stored on the strato/terra and not on a co-star premier server? I'd guess the answer is yes). Also not sure what would happen if a script was intended to call a 4K scene or chapter but only the HD version is on that server... would it reject that step and say you don't have that movie, or would it substitute the same chapter/scene if it found it on the lower-quality source? We might need some input here from @J.Green or @MikeKobb to fully describe how scripts work on each of the two server types.

You need the exact same version (i.e., HDR, UHD, HD or SD) for the scene to load otherwise it says that the movie is not available. You can load Scripts on both systems. For instance, I have loaded my “HDR vs. HD“ Script on both my Terra server and my 3U server. I get all the Scenes on my Terra server (I loaded the HD version of the movies on my Terra) while on my 3U server I only get the HD Scenes.

John

Thanks for sharing. I noticed that when scripts launch the first movie triggers my masking, etc. However, when another scene starts (in your script Lion King which is a 1.78 movie), it doesn’t seem to trigger things. Assume this is normal?

Thanks for sharing. I noticed that when scripts launch the first movie triggers my masking, etc. However, when another scene starts (in your script Lion King which is a 1.78 movie), it doesn’t seem to trigger things. Assume this is normal?
Good question for @J.Green or @MikeKobb.

Not sure why your screen masks aren't moving. Do you happen to know what control message your control processor is set up to watch for in order to trigger your masking system?

I did a quick test in my lab here to verify that a Strato is correctly emitting screen mask events when switching scenes played from a script. I set up a script which plays 4 titles (alternating between 2.40 and 1.78). In 16:9 mode, you can see that the control protocol is emitting the expected ASPECT_RATIO, SCREEN_MASK and SCREEN_MASK2 messages (NOTE: I've edited out a bunch of other control events for clarity):

Code:
01/!/000:TITLE_NAME:Alita\: Battle Angel [4K HDR]:/52
01/!/000:ASPECT_RATIO:05:02:/72
01/!/000:SCREEN_MASK:05:+010:+010:05:0130:0130:/92
01/!/000:SCREEN_MASK2:0130:0130:00000:00000:/28
01/!/000:TITLE_NAME:Grosse Pointe Blank:/61
01/!/000:ASPECT_RATIO:04:02:/71
01/!/000:SCREEN_MASK:04:+000:+000:04:0020:0020:/84
01/!/000:SCREEN_MASK2:0020:0020:00000:00000:/24
01/!/000:ASPECT_RATIO:05:02:/72
01/!/000:SCREEN_MASK:05:+002:+004:05:0124:0126:/04
01/!/000:SCREEN_MASK2:0124:0126:00000:00000:/36
01/!/000:TITLE_NAME:Hot Fuzz [Blu-ray quality]:/14
01/!/000:ASPECT_RATIO:03:02:/70
01/!/000:SCREEN_MASK:03:+000:+000:03:0001:0001:/80
01/!/000:SCREEN_MASK2:0001:0001:00000:00000:/22
01/!/000:TITLE_NAME:March of the Penguins:/21

The same is true when the system is in CinemaScape mode; the expected ASPECT_RATIO, SCREEN_MASK and CINEMASCAPE_MASK events are present:
Code:
01/!/000:TITLE_NAME:Alita\: Battle Angel [4K HDR]:/52
01/!/000:ASPECT_RATIO:05:03:/73
01/!/000:SCREEN_MASK:05:+010:+010:05:0006:0006:/96
01/!/000:CINEMASCAPE_MASK:240:/27
01/!/000:TITLE_NAME:Grosse Pointe Blank:/61
01/!/000:HIGHLIGHTED_SELECTION:26-0.0-S_c458bb8d:/89
01/!/000:ASPECT_RATIO:04:03:/72
01/!/000:SCREEN_MASK:04:+000:+000:05:0020:0020:/85
01/!/000:CINEMASCAPE_MASK:178:/37
01/!/000:ASPECT_RATIO:05:03:/73
01/!/000:SCREEN_MASK:05:+002:+004:05:0000:0001:/89
01/!/000:CINEMASCAPE_MASK:237:/33
01/!/000:TITLE_NAME:Hot Fuzz [Blu-ray quality]:/14
01/!/000:ASPECT_RATIO:03:03:/71
01/!/000:SCREEN_MASK:03:+000:+000:05:0001:0001:/82
01/!/000:TITLE_NAME:March of the Penguins:/21
01/!/000:CINEMASCAPE_MASK:178:/37

So if your control processor is set up to watch for ASPECT_RATIO, SCREEN_MASK, SCREEN_MASK2 (16:9 mode) or CINEMASCAPE_MASK (CinemaScape mode) events then it should be triggering your masking system.

My fault. Because the default of my screen is 1.78, it doesn't trigger any masking. Never thought about scripts as when you normally select a movie, my system gets the aspect ratio and then executes things as needed. When you stop a movie and return to any of the movie title screens, it returns the masking to 1.78. All add the appropriate logic to handle 1.78. I don't think I have ever run a script that had a 1.78 movie in it before... Thanks for checking this. SJ

Back