• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Gigabit switches

dgandy98

I just purchase K M700 and 1U server and also M300 and was wondering what a good gigabit switch would be good with the system? Just need some good advice

From the FAQ on the Kaleidescape website:-

"Does Kaleidescape recommend a particular network switch?

No. However, Kaleidescape dealers have reported good results with:

Dell PowerConnect Series Gigabit Ethernet switches (2708, 2808, 2716, 2816, 2724, 2824, 5324, 6248)

Cisco Small Business Managed Gigabit Switches (SRW2008, SRW2016, SRW2024)

Pakedge Gigabit Switches (SW8-GBP, SW8-GBM and SW24-GB)

If the switch will be located in an area in which noise is a concern, note that the Dell 2708, 2808, 2716 and 2816, Cisco SRW2008, and Pakedge SW8-GBP and SW8-GBM are quieter fanless switches."

I use Pakedge and have found their products highly reliable.

I only use Pakedge switches in our installations. These are very well built, work flawlessly, and most models are basically silent. Highly recommended, but expensive. (Never had a client complain about Pakedge.)

I have also used the Dell 2700 series, and these are also well built and work very well. Never had a problem with a Dell switch, but they are too noisy for "in the same room" applications. In a separate isolated equipment room they would be fine. Probably half the cost of Pakedge, depending on model.

Jim

Completely agree with Jim -- he recommended a Pakedge switch for me, and it has performed flawlessly (and was completely plug and play). It does work fairly quietly -- too bad my 3U sounds like a hair dryer! I can't imagine how anyone could use a server in the same room as the viewer...I can hear mine through the closet door.

I use a D-Link 24 port Layer 2 gigabit switch as my core switch in the rack with my 2 3U servers (I know what you mean re noise levels), and then use 1 Netgear Layer 2 gigabit switch per floor for floor level distribution and finally unmanaged Netgear gigabit switches in each room for room distribution. Wireless access points are via Linksys devices connected to the core switch. Works flawlessly as a solution.

I have used both Cisco and HP Procurve switches and I found the Cisco ones would fail every 18 months. So far I have not had a failure (famous last words?!) with the HP switches.

IF I were doing it over today and were willing to spend the money I'd seriously consider the Pakedge as they are supposedly designed for streaming media files.

The Pakedge stuff is hard to beat. I saw one of their 8 port gig switches sold for about $20 on eBay last month. The Pakedge WAP is the only device I've tried so far that works flawlessly with my Pronto remote, I was so impressed I bought a 2nd one.

The Pakedge stuff is hard to beat. I saw one of their 8 port gig switches sold for about $20 on eBay last month. The Pakedge WAP is the only device I've tried so far that works flawlessly with my Pronto remote, I was so impressed I bought a 2nd one.

I have 3 of their WAP and, although not cheap, it is a small price to pay for what essentially amounts to guaranteed performance...also, their service is great as I had one die after 2 years and they simply replaced if FOC...

I've been using a D-Link 24-Port Rackmountable Gigabit Switch DGS-1024D (they make a 16 port model too). It is fanless and ports that aren't plugged in don't get power, so it is power efficient too. Whatever switch you get, make sure it is fanless - both for quiet and longevity since the fan will be the first part to wear out.

Whilst on the topic of switches. I have a HP ProCurve 1810g-24 and it just doesn't like my M300 player for some reason. Whatever port I plug the player into it auto-negotiates a 1000Mbps duplex link with the switch and a second or so later it throttles back to 100Mbps (which may account for some erratic playback issues I've been experiencing). It's not the cable, same effect is seen with different cables. When I set the switch to enable flow control the link re-negotiates at 1000Mbps and is stable from there, but it shouldn't be this way. It should just work properly without flow control enabled. Has anybody else experienced issues with this switch and the M300?

Selection of Network Components now that multiple BluRay streams are being distributed over networks is more important than ever. Switches designed that prioritise AV are becoming more of a necessity rather than an luxury.

With 4K appearing over the horizon I expect my next network will be Fibre Optic.

Back