• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Future of High Resolution Titles

KDeering

I've been thinking about this quite a bit lately. It has been abundantly clear that the pre-recorded media market is dwindling. This is especially the case with 4K HDR. Major studios have been doing a bit better getting catalog titles out, but they are a trickle at best and most of what we see hit the format are day and date big studio releases and a general ignoring of almost everything else. DVD and Blu-ray seem to be okay though. This is one of the major reasons I invested in Kaleidescape. I like big budget summer tentpole movies as much as the next guy, but I also love most other cinema and want those titles in the best quality possible as well. Kaleidescape has been doing a great job in this regard though I do notice a lot of catalog titles not hitting the marketplace that we see on disc. I hope this is just them catching up, because it does seem to be increasing more (lots from Sony seem to be MIA). But the other thing that is worrying is that a lot of studios are now starting to move their 4K output to boutique labels rather than releasing them. This means those titles are licensed and these new 4K transfers are not going to see their way to K. We see this from Arrow, Kino and more. I could see this trend continuing as it takes the risk away from the main studios for titles they don't think are worth investing the resources in for updated restoration and transfers. I wonder if this approach to releases going forward may hurt the Kaleidescape market in terms of having the best presentations possible for a lot of titles going forward. Any thoughts?

Just a few titles I can think of recently: Hannibal, True Romance, Pitch Black, Dune, Oldboy, Crash, Tremors, Donnie Darko, Mad Max, The Good the Bad and the Ugly, Out of Sight, Misery. I know there have been announcements for even more.

This is an interesting topic and Trend that is showing up. Studios are tending not to release old 4K titles to disc. However, Kino Lorder and especially Arrow have stepped up and licensed the rights for these disc releases. On the digital side, however, the studios are keeping the digital rights so the digital releases can be delayed compared to the disc release. The digital releases should show up eventually on digital platforms including Kaleidescape. “The Good, the bad and the Ugly” has been released on digital by MGM. However, this title has been delayed on the K store.

It will be interesting to watch this as it evolves as it seems to be changing landscape these days. If Arrow titles start showing up on other digital platforms then we will need K to add them as a studio. If not, then it shouldn’t matter.

John

Interesting, I hadn't seen that TGTBTU had been released on digital platforms in 4K already, but I see it is there on Vudu in UHD. Hannibal is another release from Kino that is MGM, but it is not on digital that I can see in 4K. I know Spaceballs made it out in 4K on both disc and K though.

This why I have a 4K UHD player, a region free Blu-ray player, two HD-DVD players (one set to 1080p24 and the other set to 720p60), three Laserdisc players (a single sided Hi-Vision capable player with a separate Muse decoder, a dual sided NTSC player and a dual sided PAL player), two D-Theater/D-VHS/S-VHS/VHS VCRs, and an Apple TV 4K with Plex on it in my arsenal.

I can understand why Balls of Fury is on HD only on HD-DVD still but True Lies is on HD only on D-Theater?? Such a big movie for such a niche dead format.

Mad Max and Space Balls made it to 4K on Kscape, TGTBTU, Hannibal, Dune and Crash might show up on the store eventually but I don’t anticipate the others will anytime soon. I think a 4K capable Disc Vault would fill this void but we know Kscape has no plans for such a thing.

It will be interesting to watch this and see how it pans out. Has Criterion acquired the digital rights for these 4K titles along with the rights for the disc versions? The articles don’t say so we will see.

Criterion does seem to have the digital rights for “A hard Day’s Night” and this is the one title that I recognize of the ~40 titles available on iTunes. The digital rights of the HD versions of the other titles announced as of now are still owned by the original studios.

Things ARE changing so it’s good to keep track of this going forward.

John

Criterion just announced their first batch of 4K titles. The first one is going to be their original spine number 1 - Citizen Kane.

November titles on 4k
Citizen Kane, Menace II Society, The Piano, Mulholland Dr., The Red Shoes, and A Hard Day’s Night.

Back