• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

force fail method

cwcolins

May need some help, my 3U server has 13 1TB drives and 1 2TB drive (hot spare). Im trying to upgrade the 1TB drives to 6TB via the force fail method. I ejected a disk, waited about 10 minutes the hot spare drive never stopped flashing. I tried reinserting the old drive but the light never came on so I ejected it and inserted the 6TB drive the light came on the 6TB drive (not flashing) when I checked the system status and it indicates it has the same storage when it was a 1TB drive. Not sure what to do.

You won't get any additional storage on the first drive you force fail into the system. It will become the hot spare and the old hot spare (2TB drive) will become the parity drive. The next one, which will be a while since you need to do a rebuild, will add 1TB.

If you first force fail the 2TB hot spare, you won't have to do a rebuild and then can very quickly (like in a minute or so) force fail a drive and once the rebuild is complete, will have an extra 5TB.

After that, it will take you about 6 days per force fail single drive upgrade and each one will add 5TB. It is a SLOW process - I did that on a fully populated 3U server and it took almost 3 months. I only did the force fail process because it had 48 TB of data and replication would have taken over a month and a half and I would have lost all data on my second chassis until it completed.

Thank you for your reply, I have read some of your posts a few years back about force fail method that is what got me to try it.

I'm thinking I did something wrong since the 2TB drive is still blinking indicating it is still the hot spare, the 6TB drive the light is on solid. When I look at the system in a web browser it says I have room for 88 blu-ray movies, exactly the same number it said before I forced failed a 1TB drive and replaced it with the 6TB.

Jim had mentioned in a PM that the largest drive will always become the raid drive, following this, your new 6TB drive would add no additional storage, a second 6TB drive would then start to increase your storage. Please let me know if I am off-base, but I think this may be your issue.

Storage should have increased 1tb since the hot spare drive is 2TB instead of 1TB like the other drives. Also the light on the 2TB is still flashing indicating its still the hot spare, that is what is puzzling me.

Actually, the largest drive becomes the hot spare in a 3U server and the second largest becomes the RAID parity drive.

In a 1U server, the largest drive becomes the RAID parity drive.

Storage should have increased 1tb since the hot spare drive is 2TB instead of 1TB like the other drives. Also the light on the 2TB is still flashing indicating its still the hot spare, that is what is puzzling me.

No.

Pre-Upgrade: Hot spare 2TB, RAID Parity 1TB, Data Drives 1TB each
Post-Upgrade: Hot Spare 6 TB, RAID Parity 2TB, Data Drives 1TB each

Only once the second 6TB drive gets moved in does the storage space increase (assuming the 2TB drive isn't one of the ones being swapped out first)

Ok I'll figure it's something I don't understand yet, if this is how it should be I'm fine. Thanks everyone for your replies.

Back