• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Filmmaker Mode on Kscape?

Substance

⭐️⭐️PATRON⭐️⭐️
Filmmakers, Hollywood Studios, consumer electronics companies and the UHD Alliance have collaborated to make this next-level home theater viewing experience possible. By disabling all post-processing (e.g. motion smoothing, etc.) and preserving the correct aspect ratios, colors and frame rates, Filmmaker Mode enables your TV to display the movie or television show’s content precisely as it was intended by the filmmaker.”

I know some TVs are getting this via firmware update lately. I was surprised to see Kscape on the launch partners list as this is more intended towards displays.

Filmmakers, Hollywood Studios, consumer electronics companies and the UHD Alliance have collaborated to make this next-level home theater viewing experience possible. By disabling all post-processing (e.g. motion smoothing, etc.) and preserving the correct aspect ratios, colors and frame rates, Filmmaker Mode enables your TV to display the movie or television show’s content precisely as it was intended by the filmmaker.”

I know some TVs are getting this via firmware update lately. I was surprised to see Kscape on the launch partners list as this is more intended towards displays.
Here is a link:

John

Yup.....another option for the purists out there.....

Jim

I think that the Kaleidescape part of Filmmaker Mode will be carrying the content as well as making sure to correctly pass along the metadata flag to the display...

Interested to know where this leaves calibrations - which until now have been touted as being the route to the "directors intent"?

I love it! This is why I still keep my Laserdiscs. Studios did butcher many older classics during mastering to High Def in an effort to make them look newer. Sometimes you need to hunt down an older LD (or even VHS) release to have the correct color timing, intended aspect ratio and the theatrical soundtracks. Hopefully we will see more faithful remasters and knowing that the equipment won’t alter it during playback is great!

I don't think FMM replaces calibration in any way. It reads more about managing general settings in the playback chain and auto turning off image altering processing. Similar to what the game consoles are doing with auto game modes for low latency and such.

Filmmaker Mode currently works with 2020 and newer LG OLEDs. It is just another picture setting option like Cinema, Game, Sports, ISF Bright and ISF Dark picture modes that you select when calibrating.

Kaleidescape automatically sends a HDMI flag for all content including the onscreen GUI. No settings change in the Strato or to the movie content.

If Filmmaker Mode is set to Auto on the LG OLED then the Filmmaker Mode picture is automatically selected. So if someone changes the LG picture to Game or Sport settings, it will automatically switch to Filmmaker Mode when the Strato is selected. It mainly sets Motion Control "Soap Opera" to off. You can still calibrate the picture settings.

I'm not sure if this is the full implementation of the feature, but this is how it currently works. Mainly to just auto select a picture mode on the TV.

So essentially yet another "gimmick" - sorry for the pessimism

From a display standpoint it isn't a gimmick. It should be a picture mode that you know is probably the best baseline to use for accuracy. So it should be a mode with most of the "enhancements" off and using good base settings for color/grayscale/gamma that will deliver the closest approximation to an accurate image. Most displays have a mode like this already (a good mode to start at for a calibration), but most always can be improved with an instrumented calibration. How much improvement obviously depends on where the starting point is in accuracy, which you won't know until you measure it.

For a Strato, the idea of a FMM is still relevant. To me if they had a FMM mode in the standard user menu it would allow for the best unprocessed output of the Strato without the need for going into the IP based setup menu. To me it would at a minimum turn off the frame rate conversion to 60p that is on by default and just put out a source direct signal at native resolution and frame rate.

Back