• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Feature Request - Tagging Scenes

RAV

As a Kaleidescape user, I would like to tag scenes, whether the scenes are created by my family or predefined by Kaleidescape, with arbitrary tags (e.g., Atmos, Film Classics, Sumptuous Visuals, Sci-Fi Action, Deep Space, Mafia Moments), so I can have themed collections of scenes at my fingertips for personal or shared viewing.

I was thinking the same thing (great idea). I'd probably use that feature a lot more if we had the ability to do what RAV suggests.

Jim

Thank you!

How is the Strato? I am anxiously waiting for mine (due in March). Really looking forward to your feedback.

Just completed an upgrade of my home theater to 7.2.4 sound on Friday. That's what prompted my idea...a collection of my favorite Atmos scenes.

I am downloading content to mine and have spoken with one of the local stores about bringing in my players to do some A/B comparisons of various TV sets. Unfortunately, none of the content in the store has HDR yet and I was wanting some HDR content to allow some of the displays that have it to really separate themselves from the ones that don't have it. I even went out and bought two new 65" 4K HDR displays but I am a little bummed that I don't have any HDR content yet.

They players come with WiFi, but for download, not for streaming player to server and player to player. I have been underwhelmed with the wifi speed, but that very likely could be my wifi in my house. I have never really look at pushing it up to crazy speeds because it was never necessary until now.

I am curious about the cover flow UI on the Strato. Kaleidescape have mentioned a number of times how impressive the UI is at 60 fps and with a 4K display.

And of course I am curious as to how Sony 4K movies look (as compared to their Blu-ray equivalents).

I'm a little surprised that there hasn't been more feedback on the Strato this week - my impression was a number of people were receiving units this week.

The only comments I have seen thus far are from John Sciacca, who wrote
"Wow! The video quality on Kaleidescape Strato is just gorgeous! The 10-bit UHD4k video is startlingly clean and sharp!"

Since I don't yet have a system installed - I guess I am living vicariously!

And I pretty much just hijacked my own thread!!

I am downloading content on my Stratos and just picked up a couple 4K HDR displays but haven't done a/b comparisons of content yet.

As a Kaleidescape user, I would like to tag scenes, whether the scenes are created by my family or predefined by Kaleidescape, with arbitrary tags (e.g., Atmos, Film Classics, Sumptuous Visuals, Sci-Fi Action, Deep Space, Mafia Moments), so I can have themed collections of scenes at my fingertips for personal or shared viewing.

Very interesting idea. How would you propose that the tagged content be added to specific collections? Does creating a tag automatically create a corresponding collection of the same name, or...?

I would think that scenes could be added to a collection like films can and could be added to multiple collections. Then, under the scenes tab, it would first have collections that you could enter and select the various scenes in that collection or "play all" of the scenes in the collection.

Very interesting idea. How would you propose that the tagged content be added to specific collections? Does creating a tag automatically create a corresponding collection of the same name, or...?

I am a big fan of simplicity - so my first thought is exactly what you suggest...automatically create a collection of the same name. My experience is that powerful but complex features are utilized by a small minority of power users and way underutilized by all others.

My understanding of the current UI is limited to reading the manual so pardon if my vision is a bit off. My first Kaleidescape products (Strato and Disc Server) are on order and due next month!

If you created groups of tagged scenes, you would want to call them something other than collections, maybe Scene Sets or Scene Groups.

Sometimes dynamic filtering of scenes would be useful just as you can do with your content library now, though you would have to do a lot of tagging,e.g. give me a list of comedic scenes from the 1980s with Eddie Murphy in them.

If you created groups of tagged scenes, you would want to call them something other than collections, maybe Scene Sets or Scene Groups.

Sometimes dynamic filtering of scenes would be useful just as you can do with your content library now, though you would have to do a lot of tagging,e.g. give me a list of comedic scenes from the 1980s with Eddie Murphy in them.

I love the idea of dynamic filtering! Kind of like smart playlists in iTunes.

I think this could be implemented where the tags could be automatically combined with standard fields that already exist (e.g., year and actor). Then you could achieve your example without tagging anything.

For example (imagine this as a UI for creating a Scene Set):

<YEAR> <IS BETWEEN> <1980> AND <1989>
<AND>
<ACTOR> <CONTAINS> <Eddie Murphy>
<AND>
<GENRE> <IS> <Comedy>

In your scenario (no tags added), that would work as a filter for complete media items, such as films, but not for scenes because you have nothing to tell you whether Eddie is in the scene nor whether that scene contains comedic elements, hence the need for tags.

Back