• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Failed drive message

Thought so. Can I follow it's progress via the web browser?

Make sure you remove the failed drive first however, otherwise it will "add" the drive to the system instead of use it for a rebuild.

Make sure you remove the failed drive first however, otherwise it will "add" the drive to the system instead of use it for a rebuild.

Understood. My 1U server was already full, had to take out the failed drive and it was replaced with the new drive.

New question: how efficient is the system with basically now having two half full drives? Will the system completely rebuild across all drives?

It's not something you really need worry about. At the end of the rebuild process the system will be returned to a functional state whereby if another disc were to fail, you don't lose any content. The degree that the capacity of each disc in the array is filled is not relevant (although my understanding is the rebuilt array will have an even distribution of data across the disc set).

Welcome Horsley...

I'm fascinated to hear about this drive failure and how the rebuild process goes... mostly because it really IS rare. I've had Kaleidescape for nearly 5 years now I think, first a 5U that eventually was filled with 12 discs, then a loaner 1U which had 4 disks, then both were swapped for my current 3U with 7 discs. I have about 1100 movies and 400 CDs. Never ONCE in 5 years, with a total of 23 drives have I had a failure.

But it's nice to know if and when it does happen, my collection is safe. It's probably wise to have that extra degree of caution once you're running with a drive failure, but personally I doubt I'd shut down my server. The drives fail SO rarely, and I use my system SO often, that I'd just plow on ahead while the new drive was sent. The failure rate is so low, I wouldn't worry about a double-failure during the 3-4 days you were running without a spare.

I wouldn't worry about it... it's extremely UNCOMMON and the system has been designed to handle failures with no interruption in movie or music playback.

It's like having a tire blow out on the highway 50 miles from the nearest gas station... you put your spare tire on, and you get yourself to the gas station when you're able, or as many of us do, you just drive on your spare for a few days until you can shop for a good deal on the permanent replacement tire. Yes, in the rare event of a second blowout during that day or two you'd be in deep trouble, but it's pretty rare, so you'd happily drive on (carefully) using your spare until you could get another tire.

... it's extremely UNCOMMON and the system has been designed to handle failures with no interruption in movie or music playback...

I think the only interruption occurs when the array is rebuilding itself, at which time playback or importing is not possible.

I just had a drive fail and everything was protected and K was wonderful. AND OMG I just forgot I have to send my old drive back to them! I completely forgot! eek

I think the only interruption occurs when the array is rebuilding itself, at which time playback or importing is not possible.

Correct on importing, but you should be able to use the system for playback.

Jim

All,

Thank you for all your reassuring messages. I look forward to receiving the equipment and having an enjoyable trouble free time over the holidays.

Horsley

All,

Thank you for all your reassuring messages. I look forward to receiving the equipment and having an enjoyable trouble free time over the holidays.

Horsley

Have fun, and remember, other owners are here to help!:)

Jim

I have a new k system. M700 and have been importing movies but now I get a message that disc I am entering are scratched. They are new discs with no dust or marks on them. What could be problem.

The message you are referring to is the usual message received when a disk may be dirty, scratched, or has some other issue that prevents importing. I've also had a couple of "new" disks that would not import, and received the same message. In each case, I replaced the movie with a new copy and it imported without a problem. I would also try to import using a different component (a K Player with import capability, assuming you have one) to see if that works, it has for me and others on this forum. If it's a Blu-ray, you'll need an M500 Player. You might also consider sending it to K to be evaluated.

Jim

Thanks a bunch. Spoke to K and it appears I might need a new player and a hard drive is shot. If this is the case this will be my second player in 2 months of ownership. I hope this is most unusual for K.

It is. In general the products are of excellent quality. But lets face it, nothing's perfect. What defines us, I think anyway, is what we do when we meet adversity. So far in 3+ years of K ownership I've only been impressed with the product and the service.

Back