• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Expanding Strato storage with another zone?

Ryan

I've run out of storage on my Strato in my theatre. To expand my storage, I was thinking of adding another 12TB Strato to my living room instead of adding a Terra to my theatre setup. Will this do the trick and share the storage space between both Stratos?

To further complicate this, my theatre Strato is paired with an M700 in my theatre, and I also plan to have a co-star paired with my new Strato in my living room along with my M300. Would this make the full movie library available in both zones, while also expanding my overall 4K Strato storage across both zones?

Yes, if the Strato's are part of the same "Group," they can all access the content stored on any other grouped Strato, and can reach the Vault content as well. As you probably know, only DVD disc based content can be played back when connected to Strato. (Only Alto does both DVD and BR disc playback.)

Jim

Thanks for the response! That's great news. If I use the co-star with a premiere player in both zones, all of my premiere BR/DVD content will be accessible through the Strato interface as well?

Hi Ryan,

To the best of my knowledge, when you have a Strato paired with an M300 using the Co-Star, that will give you access to your entire Encore and Premiere systems titles, but only for that zone. If the Theatre Strato and M700 are also paired with a Co-Star, then you would have access there as well. BTW, what are you using as the server for the Premiere side of things?

Hey @Ryan A couple things to help with your decision:
  1. Store downloads are much faster to Terra. I routinely see 800-900Mb/s on mine whereas I do not recall seeing more than ~280Mb/s when I had a single Strato. This means 4K HDR downloads go from 7-10 minutes to an hour or more.
  2. When a Strato is in use, download speeds are reduced (during navigation) or paused altogether (during movie playback). Download speeds to Terra maintain consistent speeds regardless if a Strato is in use.
These points may not be a big deal to you, but I like being able to use the Strato and not worry if a movie I queued for download will finish when anticipated (e.g. if we pick a movie to watch later that night).

Just some food for thought :).

When a Strato is in use, download speeds are reduced (during navigation) or paused altogether (during movie playback). Download speeds to Terra maintain consistent speeds regardless if a Strato is in use.
One quick clarification on Andy's excellent post: Terra downloads remain unthrottled during playback unless the movie being downloaded is being written to the same disk as the movie that is being served out to a playback zone. In this case, download speed will be throttled in order to prioritise serving the playback zone.

One quick clarification on Andy's excellent post: Terra downloads remain unthrottled during playback unless the movie being downloaded is being written to the same disk as the movie that is being served out to a playback zone. In this case, download speed will be throttled in order to prioritise serving the playback zone.
Thanks for this information, John. Every now and then my downloads get throttled and I could not understand why.

John

Just to spell out the other option: you could purchase a Terra server and a Strato C player for your living room. If you Co-star pair the Strato C and M300 in the living room, and the Strato and M700 in the theater, you would have access to all titles in both zones, as well as the faster download speed and increased storage benefits that Terra brings to the party. To make it explicit, the Strato C would be able to play titles stored on either the Terra or your original Strato.

There is bundle pricing available on the Terra and Strato C.

Great option. Thanks Mike. More expensive but more future-proof for sure. The bundle discount helps.

The bundle pricing on Terra/Strato referred to by Mike expires on March 31, 2021, there are two options, based on your current Kaleidescape system(s). If you do NOT already own a Strato or Terra (you are Premiere only), you can add a Terra/Strato bundle promo (Premiere to Strato Add-on Program), that gives you the following:

1. Discounted Terra Server ($500 discount)
2. Discounted Strato-C ($2,000 discount)
3. Store credit based on component cost (10% of msrp):
-$1300 store credit Terra 24TB
-$1600 store credit Terra 40TB
-$1800 store credit Terra 48TB (Yes, there is now a 48TB)
4. Factory download service (K will download your content to the Terra before shipping to you).

If adding just a Strato, no Terra server, you do not get the additional $2,000 promo price reduction on the Strato-C, but you do get the following:

1. Store credit:
-$300 store credit for Strato-C
-$600 store credit for Strato-S (6TB)
-$900 store credit for Strato-S (12TB)
2. Co-Star. You get one free Co-Star Switch Kit for each Strato you order.

All of the above applies to Premiere only owners that are adding Strato during this promotional period that (due to expire at the end of March 2021). Store credits are added together when more than one component is purchased (i.e. a Terra 40TB and Strato-C would result in $1900 Store credit).

If you are already a Strato/Terra owner, you can still purchase the temporarily discounted Terra Server, and Strato-C at the $2K discount, provided it's purchased at the same time as the Terra Server (as Mike noted above).

Check with your dealer for more info, or if you do not have a dealer contact me and I'll help. (Obviously you can check with other dealers on the forum as well.)

Jim

Last edited:
Officially released today. K is now offering a Terra 48TB as well as the current 24TB and 40TB models. That email is reaching dealers now, and likely owners as well at some point (if not today). Check with your dealer for pricing, but retail is $17,995 (only because I know someone will ask).:)

Jim

Last edited:
Back