• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Ethernet Points

House72

Hello All

I have Ethernet ports built all around my house and most of them piggy back to a 24 port POE Switch. How can I test one of these Ethernet ports in my house to check if its a POE?

I am planning to get a Josh Nano and its POE only. I want to make sure this will work before getting the nano and not the micro.

Thanks

Hello All

I have Ethernet ports built all around my house and most of them piggy back to a 24 port POE Switch. How can I test one of these Ethernet ports in my house to check if its a POE?

I am planning to get a Josh Nano and its POE only. I want to make sure this will work before getting the nano and not the micro.

Thanks
You would have to look up the name and model number of the switch to see it offers power over ethernet (POE) and also the wattage as even if it is in fact POE your device(s) draw may exceed the rating. Purchasing a POE injector would solve your issue, but again you would to make sure the POE injector is rated high enough to power your respective device(s).

I do know the Araknis Switch I have is POE. I am not sure of the ethernet port in the wall is piggybacked to that switch. I may have to take down an AP I have in another room and test this out.

Cheers

That’s probably the simplest way to test — plug a PoE device into it and see if it boots up. There are test tools available, but if this is a one-off need to check a port, it may not be worth buying one.

Josh Micro uses 5W max but 2.6W typical per my PoE switch. I would think Nano is similar or less. PoE switches have a max power rating per port but also a PoE budget for all ports combined. If you have a lot of PoE devices on that switch, make sure to not exceed the PoE budget when you add Josh Nano‘s.

I only have four devices that draw power from the POE. I will check in any case based on the switch specifications. Thank you.

I looked into Araknis gear the other day. They are pretty solid. You can enable/disable POE on each port independently. I believe you will need an OVrC account to manage this. You may want to confirm POE is enabled on all ports before you trial each end point.

For other people looking at this, even if the switch is not PoE, then you can easily add a PoE injector into the system which can power one or a few PoE devices depending on the model. This may also be needed if you get something that is a higher class PoE device than what the switch supports. The draw on the Josh nano though can be met by any PoE enabled port or injector.

Back