• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Error Message - "Cannot Play Movie"

Hnupe

Kaleidescape is working on the issue, however It thought I might give this a try here as well. Here is the following situation:

1) It was working fine about a few days ago.
2) My consultant connected my Kaleidescape to Control 4 so I can use my remote, etc.
3) Kaleidescape is connected through "ethernet cable" and wifi is disabled(Because of Control 4)
4) I get the below message anytime I try to play a HDR, UHD movie.
5) I can access the movie store and I can play trailers
6) I can play regular "HD" movies with no problem...just can't play HDR, UHD.

Any thoughts...system is about one month old.

IMG_6360 Error.jpg

It could potentially be an issue with the amount of bandwidth on your network. Watching HD requires a lot less than UHD and HDR. Did you change any network devices/cables in the past few days?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It could potentially be an issue with the amount of bandwidth on your network. Watching HD requires a lot less than UHD and HDR. Did you change any network devices/cables in the past few days?

I did not, and we actually ran an ethernet cable straight from the router to the kaleidescape....same issue.

If you were originally setup on WiFi and are now running ethernet since implementing the C4, are you using a static IP that is the same for both? If not, there could be something in a Kscape configuration somewhere that is trying to use the WiFi IP address, instead of your new ethernet IP.

With an Ethernet cable going straight to your “Kaleidescape”, does that mean your movies are stored on the same Strato you are using to play content? Or are trying to stream content from a Terra server? Or maybe another Strato? If you have multiple K devices running direct to your router, there may be limitations there. If there are multiple devices, I’d expect them all to be connected to a Gigabit switch (or similar). Can you describe your K system and network components in more detail?

Andy

If you were originally setup on WiFi and are now running ethernet since implementing the C4, are you using a static IP that is the same for both? If not, there could be something in a Kscape configuration somewhere that is trying to use the WiFi IP address, instead of your new ethernet IP.
Thanks for the follow-up.

Novice Talk: As I understand it, my consultant "assigned" a static IP address. Is there a way to verify both?

FYI - I do have Control 4 "Home Edition"

Weird question: Still bugs me that I can play "HD" movies, access the movie store, download movies. I just can't play UHD and HDR movies.

With an Ethernet cable going straight to your “Kaleidescape”, does that mean your movies are stored on the same Strato you are using to play content? Or are trying to stream content from a Terra server? Or maybe another Strato? If you have multiple K devices running direct to your router, there may be limitations there. If there are multiple devices, I’d expect them all to be connected to a Gigabit switch (or similar). Can you describe your K system and network components in more detail?

Andy

I just have a Strato S - 6TB.

I have a pretty simple set-up, I have a router and a Netgear Powerline adapter that plugs into the back. The Second netgear powerline adapter is what I am using as my ethernet cable into my Strato.

Please note, this set-up was fine until I added the Strato to Control 4 and disabled "wifi".

Thanks for the follow-up.

Novice Talk: As I understand it, my consultant "assigned" a static IP address. Is there a way to verify both?

FYI - I do have Control 4 "Home Edition"

Weird question: Still bugs me that I can play "HD" movies, access the movie store, download movies. I just can't play UHD and HDR movies.
If you are playing directly from the Strato to your AVP or projector, the problem can’t be with your network. The only factor your network plays is when you initially download the UHD movie from the movie store. After that, it is streamed from the Strato storage to your playback device. Something else is going on. Is it possible that you have both an HD and a UHD copy of the movie stored on your Kscape and perhaps the C4 is programmed to select the wrong version or the new remote is causing you to select the wrong version? Have you tried using the Kscape remote to see if it will play the UHD movies?

If you are playing directly from the Strato to your AVP or projector, the problem can’t be with your network. The only factor your network plays is when you initially download the UHD movie from the movie store. After that, it is streamed from the Strato storage to your playback device. Something else is going on. Is it possible that you have both an HD and a UHD copy of the movie stored on your Kscape and perhaps the C4 is programmed to select the wrong version or the new remote is causing you to select the wrong version? Have you tried using the Kscape remote to see if it will play the UHD movies?
How do you know if you have both UHD and HD versions? What button on the Kscape remote allows you to chose which version?

Like ksalno said, the issue is not going to be with your network considering you only have the lone Strato 6TB.

Looking at that error message again, it sure is misleading pointing its finger at your network. The only network issue I could envision is if there is another device on your network that is assigned the same IP address. That could cause the control system and the Strato to potential get confused, but I’d expect that would happen all the time.

Going back to the fact that UHD and HDR playback is the only thing affected, I’d lean more to an HDMI issue. If you have any way to test with another HDMI cable, that may tell you something. Then again, the error message doesn’t lean toward a video issue and the K logging is very robust and rarely incorrect. Maybe there is a throughput issue with something else (internal HDD??) that is masking itself as a network issue. I know you’ve contacted K support, but getting some insight from their logging may be your best bet at this point. Good luck and let us know what you discover.

Andy

How do you know if you have both UHD and HD versions? What button on the Kscape remote allows you to chose which version?
Several ways to see this, especially if there is a specific movie that is giving you problems. If you go to the Kscape Movie Store and login, you can view all of your movies. It will show you if you own the movie in SD (DVD), HD (BluRay), or UHD/HDR but in the main panel it only shows the highest level that you own it in. So it will display 4K HDR even if you also have it downloaded in HD. If you have an example where you know you maybe bought it in BluRay but later took advantage of a Kscape offer to upgrade it to 4K, then click on that title. When you do this, it will tell you if you have downloaded it in both HD and 4K. When you are navigating using the remote to select movies from your TV/projector and you click on Play Movie, Kscape will always default to playing the highest quality you have downloaded, so in this case it will play 4K. However, if you go to the More Options menu and click on it, if the movie is available in different versions, you will see an option to Play Version. From here you can choose to play the 4K or the HD version.

It’s a long shot, as I can see no reason why the consultant would have programmed a control to do this without making it visible to the end user. But I can’t think of any other reason why Kscape would play a movie in HD that you are sure you own and have downloaded in 4K.

Several ways to see this, especially if there is a specific movie that is giving you problems. If you go to the Kscape Movie Store and login, you can view all of your movies. It will show you if you own the movie in SD (DVD), HD (BluRay), or UHD/HDR but in the main panel it only shows the highest level that you own it in. So it will display 4K HDR even if you also have it downloaded in HD. If you have an example where you know you maybe bought it in BluRay but later took advantage of a Kscape offer to upgrade it to 4K, then click on that title. When you do this, it will tell you if you have downloaded it in both HD and 4K. When you are navigating using the remote to select movies from your TV/projector and you click on Play Movie, Kscape will always default to playing the highest quality you have downloaded, so in this case it will play 4K. However, if you go to the More Options menu and click on it, if the movie is available in different versions, you will see an option to Play Version. From here you can choose to play the 4K or the HD version.

It’s a long shot, as I can see no reason why the consultant would have programmed a control to do this without making it visible to the end user. But I can’t think of any other reason why Kscape would play a movie in HD that you are sure you own and have downloaded in 4K.
Sadly, that did not work. For example, Black Widow..it only shows one verion - 4k HDR

Thanks for trying....about to pull my hair out.

From the Strato browser, what does it say the display capabilities are? Could this be an HDCP reporting issue?

John

From the Strato browser, what does it say the display capabilities are? Could this be an HDCP reporting issue?

John
I have a Sony 295ES and a Anthem MRX 1140

Attachments

• IMG_6362 (1).jpeg
    IMG_6362 (1).jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_6363.jpeg
    IMG_6363.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 12
I'd contact your C4 consultant and have him come back to fix whatever it is that he broke.

Have you tried using your Kscape remote and does it give the same error message as above?

There is also something a bit strange with that error message. If I go into the movie covers menu and select a movie, I get a pop-up menu that gives me a bunch of choices to play the movie, play a scene, etc. The sample you posted above, shows the error message overlaying the main movie poster screen, with no pop-up menu behind it. Have you tried playing a 4K movie from one of the other movie screens, like the list or the collections screen? I'm just wondering if the "OK" or "Select" button is not programmed correctly for the C4 remote.

I'd contact your C4 consultant and have him come back to fix whatever it is that he broke.

Have you tried using your Kscape remote and does it give the same error message as above?

There is also something a bit strange with that error message. If I go into the movie covers menu and select a movie, I get a pop-up menu that gives me a bunch of choices to play the movie, play a scene, etc. The sample you posted above, shows the error message overlaying the main movie poster screen, with no pop-up menu behind it. Have you tried playing a 4K movie from one of the other movie screens, like the list or the collections screen? I'm just wondering if the "OK" or "Select" button is not programmed correctly for the C4 remote.
Kaleidescape is looking into as well. I actually can get to the "menu" portion of the movies(i.e. scenes, play movie) however when I select play movie or a particular scene I get that "overlay error message".

I lurk around this forum( very helpful), thought I would give this a shot as well and see if there are any other ideas, etc.

There's only two reasons I can think of that the error is legitimately with the network: (1) a costar system, and the pieces aren't talking, or (2) the Strato is trying to call home for authorization and isn't reaching the mothership. However, it doesn't say there is a network error, just that network errors are the most common "some random thing happened." Could it be a drive issue? The higher bandwidth might be pushing an internal problem.

It wouldn't be an authorization issue. Movie authorization happens after download, and the player never needs to "phone home" after that. I will leave the rest in the capable hands of our support team.

Back