• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Effect of UV demise on my use of KStore

rbienstock

I've noticed that the demise of Ultraviolet has completely changed the way I purchase movies. I have both a Premiere and an Encore system with CoStar. Being able to stream while on the road is extremely important to me. In the past, if a UV release for a movie was available, I bought it on the K Store because I have no use for disks. Since UV went away, I haven't bought a single movie from the K Store (other than 4K upgrades of things I already have in HD). Buying a 4K disk from Amazon is usually cheaper or the same as the K Store version and I get more: a blu ray I can put on my Premiere system and the ability to stream anywhere, often in 4K. If HD quality isn't good enough, I can pop the 4K disk in my rarely used Oppo. I want to be disk free and get all the great K features, and I'm not averse to the high cost of K ownership, but it looks to me that the current situation basically gives less for more money and no one wants to do that.

Interesting comments. I've found my use of the store has increased dramatically but I think that might be more to do with me having a "K first" policy on new releases, regardless of HD or UHD, and trying to D2D a whole bunch of discs so I can try and lose a vault(s)

What do you mean when you say you "a blu ray I can put on my Premiere system and the ability to stream anywhere, often in 4K."? Does Amazon give you a free digital copy like they used to (or maybe still do) on music CDs you buy through them?

I think he means that most 4k discs come with a second standard BR disc in the package. And he throws this in the vault in leiu of the old way of using the UV code and just downloading from the K store. Seems he still wants three things, 4k disc to play directly if warranted, Digital rights for mobile devices, and the ability to play on the Premiere system. And a 4k disc purchase ticks all three boxes for the least amount for many titles.

What do you mean when you say you "a blu ray I can put on my Premiere system and the ability to stream anywhere, often in 4K."? Does Amazon give you a free digital copy like they used to (or maybe still do) on music CDs you buy through them?

What I mean is that virtually all commercial 4K disk packages come with a Blu ray disk in the box as well as a Movies Anywhere code, and that some times that code gets you 4K streaming.

I think he means that most 4k discs come with a second standard BR disc in the package. And he throws this in the vault in leiu of the old way of using the UV code and just downloading from the K store. Seems he still wants three things, 4k disc to play directly if warranted, Digital rights for mobile devices, and the ability to play on the Premiere system. And a 4k disc purchase ticks all three boxes for the least amount for many titles
Exactly, though if I got MA streaming with my K Store 4K or HD purchase, I'd be doing that for sure. That's what I really want. Disks are so 20th century, so I'm miffed that the UV demise pushed me back there.

Last edited:
If it makes you feel any better, I have literally boxes of discs that I’ve bought off eBay - much to the extreme annoyance of the better half - purely to catalog in order to get D2D pricing. It’s not always worth it but sometimes you can save a few £/$’s.... it all adds up VERY quickly

Now I just need to find a simple’ish way to offload the physicals

I'm using the K Store less as I really value having access to my content anywhere (and on myriad other devices) and don't want to spend money on a provider without some reasonable expectation that I'm not S.O.L. if they fold. I understand that MA could go belly up, but regret to say that I think it's more likely that K will disappear first. If K and MA can work out a deal, I'll be back to buying from the K Store regularly.

I'm using the K Store less as I really value having access to my content anywhere (and on myriad other devices) and don't want to spend money on a provider without some reasonable expectation that I'm not S.O.L. if they fold. I understand that MA could go belly up, but regret to say that I think it's more likely that K will disappear first. If K and MA can work out a deal, I'll be back to buying from the K Store regularly.
Exactly my point.

Back