• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

DV700 issue

kedoughty

Curious where to go with this issue. I have two separate DV700 vaults that are the exact same age. Each now has about 220 discs in them. I've tried to load them rather equally as I've added titles.

Anyway, over the past 4 months or so, one of the disc vaults (and I'm 99.9% certain it has been only the one vault that has done this) will randomly identify a disc as needing to be ejected. There is nothing wrong with the disc, because it will load fine into the other vault and have no problem as part of the system. However, if I simply eject the disc and then try to reload it back into the vault that has the issue, it will spin, identify it and then tell me it needs to be ejected. And yet, I've been able to add new discs to my system to both vaults without issues. Over the 4 months it's been ~4-5 titles that I've basically had to move to the other vault for continued use. I don't think it has been any more than that, certainly single digits still.

Thoughts?

-Kyle

Mike K. might better explain it, but I can tell you it happens to most of us over time. The Vaults conduct periodic inventories, and may on occasion misread a disc causing that message to eject. After a misread, it is likely the disc will not be able to be reloaded into the same Vault. I'm not sure if that's because it is somehow tagged by the Vault as not being a good disc, or if the inability to reload is caused by whatever anomaly caused it's rejection in the first place. This is why it might reload in a different Vault (i've had this experience as well).
The bigger question is what caused the initial ejection. It could be that during the periodic inventory the disc was dirty and couldn't be read, could be a metadata reread issue, could be the optical drive is getting dirty (clean with one of those optical drive cleaning discs), could be a mechanical issue with the optical drive, or could be Gremlins...

Not that it's happened a lot, but on the occasions over the years that it has, I clean the disc and try to load in a different Vault. I've been successful with some and unsuccessful with others. I think to this day I have perhaps 4 or 5 discs that will not reload in any of my Vaults, but I've been able to download most of these titles from the Store. (For the conspiracy theorists out there, No, this is not an intentional act by K to generate more Store business.:D)

As I mentioned earlier, maybe Mike will comment further when he has time.

Jim

It's definitely not "tagged" in any way. Rather, it's more likely to be as Jim suggested -- whatever caused a problem with identifying the disc continues to do so. The very first thing to try is to clean the disc. Assuming that it's clean, then the drive itself may be dirty, or may just be developing some kind of problem. If that appears to be the case, my recommendation would be to contact your dealer for service. If they open a support ticket, our support folks may be able to see something in the logs that would point to why the discs are being rejected.

Thanks for commenting Mike!

Happy New Year!!

Jim

In giving this additional thought, I would focus on the problem Vault (obviously) and start by cleaning the optical drive with a DVD/BR optical drive lens cleaner, they are available from many retailers. Given you can add the ejected movie to the other Vault without any problem, it seems more likely to be an optical drive issue and cleaning it is the first step in trying to fix the problem.

Jim

Did you clean the drive? Are you still having the issue? I just picked up an M700 with a similiR problem. It will not read brand new disks... about 12 out of 80 that have been inserted...

I did pick up a blu ray disc cleaner and placed it in the vault in question. I'm not sure whether it automatically cleans the unit or not. The cleaner disc is loaded, the vault spends its time trying to identify the disc and then ultimately tells me the disc needs to be ejected. I don't have the vault with the player built into it so the option of "playing" the disc and going through the typical menu prompts was not available to me.

I have not had the issue again since but the issue itself has been fairly random.

The difference between what you're describing and what I was experiencing is that these discs don't have any problem being loaded and imported into the system when placed in the drive. Rather, out of the blue, the vault will identify a disc that has already been successfully imported as needing to be ejected. And then for some reason the unit wouldn't accept the disc and I needed to place it in my other vault.

When I first purchased my vaults and loaded my entire library, I did end up with 2-3 discs that would not import for some reason (some of them untouched/unplayed discs). I just bought new copies of each title and those loaded fine - but then it was only a few titles.

What you are describing is fairly common, I've had that happen many times in the past, and still have discs that cannot be successfully placed back into a Vault. Never could get an answer as to the exact cause, and issue has never been resolved to my knowledge. It appears to be tied to the periodic re-inventory that occurs to insure discs are not manually removed after being placed in a Vault. For some reason, a re-check results in some discs being ejected and in most cases they cannot be reinstalled. At this point myself, and others this has happened to, just live with it. In some cases I've been able to download those movies from the K Store.

Jim

Jim

Thanks, Jim.

As an update to others, the disc drive "cleaning", if indeed that did happen, has not solved the problem Jim has described, as I had another disc identified as needing to be ejected last night. What is curious is that I have two disc vaults, purchased at the same time and new at purchase, but only one of the vaults seems to be doing this.

I spoke to K and they said to try an optical drive service kit. Now, my Vault will not hold any disks whatsoever.

OK I am going to check that out as soon as I get home and if you are right this will save me a lot of annoyance! :)

Probably need to change the drive. My drive in my M700 vault died a*while*back. *One day*the*vault just reported that it had to eject every single disc before I had any idea anything was going on. Was not too hard to replace the optical drive.

Concerning and one of the reasons I chose to get a new one with warranty. Hopefully they keep a stock of the drives around over the years.

Concerning and one of the reasons I chose to get a new one with warranty. Hopefully they keep a stock of the drives around over the years.

Hopefully the studio disc to digital deals will flesh out and allow digital downloads of all the BDs and DVD's over time, gradually obsolescing the disk server entirely.

Maybe, but I'm one who still likes to have my discs. If not, I would've left K ages ago in favor of the newer digital options.

Back