• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Dunkirk Woes

KDeering

I was doing some testing yesterday and wanted to see if the K version of Dunkirk was like the disc version with shifting aspect ratios. It doesn't, but what I noticed right away was the K version looked downright AWFUL. Immediately it looked softer, slathered with noise reduction and compression noise was evident. To say the difference between the K version and my 4K Blu-ray was massive would be the understatement of understatements. It is like looking at a bad DVD upscale in comparison. I've never seen complaints about Dunkirk so I am wondering if it is an issue with my download. Can anyone here that has both (4K HDR Blu-ray and K) take a look? The difference is not subtle so it should be easy to tell right away. Even the immediate opening when they are walking down the street is worlds different in my setup.

I saw your text about that one. I‘ll see if I can find a minute to check it out, if I have the rip to compare.

There's been several releases I've seen that didn't shift aspect ratios like the disc would. While nice for some projectors, I'd always wondered why the other option wasn't there. Seems that should be included for a full quality machine.
Never used my D2D to get Dunkirk though so don't know how that one compares, but looking forward to seeing the answers .

There's been several releases I've seen that didn't shift aspect ratios like the disc would. While nice for some projectors, I'd always wondered why the other option wasn't there. Seems that should be included for a full quality machine.
Never used my D2D to get Dunkirk though so don't know how that one compares, but looking forward to seeing the answers .
I wasn't concerned about the lack of aspect ratio switching (I would rather have the full scope versions), I am talking about video quality in general. It is very bad on Dunkirk from the K. Night and day difference in overall quality compared to the 4K Blu-ray.

I wasn't concerned about the lack of aspect ratio switching (I would rather have the full scope versions), I am talking about video quality in general. It is very bad on Dunkirk from the K. Night and day difference in overall quality compared to the 4K Blu-ray.
My Dunkirk download looks pretty comparable to the 4K disc in quality. I wonder if there’s an issue with the download - or perhaps an update introduced an issue? (I have an update I have not downloaded, because it was for other languages I don’t need.)

My Dunkirk download looks pretty comparable to the 4K disc in quality. I wonder if there’s an issue with the download - or perhaps an update introduced an issue? (I have an update I have not downloaded, because it was for other languages I don’t need.)
I see that update too, but I haven't updated it. So it may be a download issue if yours looks the same. The difference in mine is pretty severe, so it should be very obvious on yours if it is consistent. I will do the update (even thought I don't need the languages) as it does a reload of the movie. Hopefully that will resolve it.

I see that update too, but I haven't updated it. So it may be a download issue if yours looks the same. The difference in mine is pretty severe, so it should be very obvious on yours if it is consistent. I will do the update (even thought I don't need the languages) as it does a reload of the movie. Hopefully that will resolve it.
The one caveat I should add is I use an Epson projector with 4k pixel shifting. If you’re using a true 4k projector, it may be you can perceive a difference in quality that I can’t. I wish you luck! Keep us posted.

Back