• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

DTS HD MA Verses Dolby Digital Plus

cgreene

I am waiting for my dealer to install Kaleidescape in a soon to be installed totally new home theater. Has everyone ever compared the SAME movie on say Vudu DD 5.1+ verse Kaleidescape DTS 5.1 HD MA? I know on paper the bits rates are higher on DTS 5.1 HD MA but what I’m looking for are actually A-B test.

The difference is similar to CD quality (or FLAC) vs. AAC (or MP3). On a revealing audio setup the difference in fidelity will be immediately noticed.

I am waiting for my dealer to install Kaleidescape in a soon to be installed totally new home theater. Has everyone ever compared the SAME movie on say Vudu DD 5.1+ verse Kaleidescape DTS 5.1 HD MA? I know on paper the bits rates are higher on DTS 5.1 HD MA but what I’m looking for are actually A-B test.
I haven't specifically AB tested it but back in the early days of Blu-ray there were some discs that defaulted to the Dolby Digital track and on several occasions (somewhere around a half dozen or so) I would notice that the sound was off and check the track and realize it wasn't the lossless one.

The biggest thing I usually notice is that the soundstage is very small and I can localize the speakers themselves.

The master should be the same, it is just that DTS HD MA is using a lossless container vs DD+ using a lossy one. In a direct A/B that is volume matched, I would wager it would be very hard to distinguish the difference between the two when watching a movie.

The master should be the same, it is just that DTS HD MA is using a lossless container vs DD+ using a lossy one. In a direct A/B that is volume matched, I would wager it would be very hard to distinguish the difference between the two when watching a movie.
Looking forward to the testing. I’m going to use a Kaleidescape 4k movie/5.1 DTS HD MA and compare it against Vudu 4k DD+. I’m also going to compare these to the 4K blu ray. I will be testing picture quality on a JVC/Mad VR and a Trinnov processor.

I notice a lot movies from say 2013-2018 on Kaleidescape are in DTS 5.1 HD MA while the blu ray/4K are in 7.1. Also there very few titles in DTS X on Kaleidescape while about 100 in 4k Blu ray.

Looking forward to the testing. I’m going to use a Kaleidescape 4k movie/5.1 DTS HD MA and compare it against Vudu 4k DD+. I’m also going to compare these to the 4K blu ray. I will be testing picture quality on a JVC/Mad VR and a Trinnov processor.

I notice a lot movies from say 2013-2018 on Kaleidescape are in DTS 5.1 HD MA while the blu ray/4K are in 7.1. Also there very few titles in DTS X on Kaleidescape while about 100 in 4k Blu ray.
MAKE SURE YOU ARE LEVEL MATCHING THE SOUNDTRACKS FOR THE COMPARISON. That doesn't mean they are on the same setting for volume on the Trinnov, it means that the actual soundtracks are coming out at the same volume IN COMPARISON TO EACH OTHER.

MAKE SURE YOU ARE LEVEL MATCHING THE SOUNDTRACKS FOR THE COMPARISON. That doesn't mean they are on the same setting for volume on the Trinnov, it means that the actual soundtracks are coming out at the same volume IN COMPARISON TO EACH OTHER.
Thanks, I will report my finding.

Agreed 100%, Dolby has tested this before and said Dolby Digital at 640kb is transparent to the LPCM master

Out of curiosity I just tested this with the Dark Knight, which is one the discs that defaulted to Dolby Digital. Watching the intro scene, the two tracks were a lot closer than I expected. The sound stage sounded a little more precise and the music seemed a bit more clear with the TrueHD but I think I would have a hard time picking it out in a blind test.

Agreed 100%, Dolby has tested this before and said Dolby Digital at 640kb is transparent to the LPCM master
Dolby Digital Plus on streaming is rarely at 640kbps (if ever). Most streaming services use 128kbps for stereo and 256kbps for multi channel. Dolby can claim whatever they claim. Per Nyquist theorem, you need 21-22 bits of range and about 40kHz sampling frequency (2 samples per each frequency therefore about 20khz range), that’s roughly 1.75mbps of data per each stereo pair. You can advocate that certain sounds aren’t audible or blanked by other sounds using psychoacoustics but removing 90% (at 128kbps) of the information then claiming it is transparent is a bit of a stretch. Yes it will be transparent to those who watch their movies on an iPad or TV speakers.

Dolby Digital Plus on streaming is rarely at 640kbps (if ever). Most streaming services use 128kbps for stereo and 256kbps for multi channel. Dolby can claim whatever they claim. Per Nyquist theorem, you need 21-22 bits of range and about 40kHz sampling frequency (2 samples per each frequency therefore about 20khz range), that’s roughly 1.75mbps of data per each stereo pair. You can advocate that certain sounds aren’t audible or blanked by other sounds using psychoacoustics but removing 90% (at 128kbps) of the information then claiming it is transparent is a bit of a stretch. Yes it will be transparent to those who watch their movies on an iPad or TV speakers.
Here's a good read about this topic....

On the Vudu tech information page it list “Dolby Digital 5.1 Dolby Atmos” for there Atmos titles. Sounds like they piggybacking on DD+ (lossy) 7.1 capabilites.

I did some research....

Vudu's DD+ bitrate is 384 Kbps, DD+ Atmos is 575 Kbps

Netflix's DD+ bitrate is 640 Kbps, DD+ Atmos is 768 Kbps

I did some research....

Vudu's DD+ bitrate is 384 Kbps, DD+ Atmos is 575 Kbps

Netflix's DD+ bitrate is 640 Kbps, DD+ Atmos is 768 Kbps
If you do further search, you will see that those bitrates are reserved for certain content but not all.

Perhaps, I will raise this question to all. If streaming media had audibly equal quality, why did we spend $30k+ on our Kaleidescape equipment?

I believe all those psychoacoustics studies highly underrate how sophisticated human brain is. They write off chunks of musical information as can’t be heard. On the other hand, some other studies suggest high res audio such as 192KHz (or even higher sampling) soundtracks are fully recognized by our brains even though our ears can only hear up to 20KHz at best (more like 12KHz if you are over 40 like me).

Most will look at the bits rates and say DTS HD MA 5.1 is better verses DD+ streaming. What I am going to do is (matching levels) run the same movie that I have viewed many time times and let the ears decide.

Most will look at the bits rates and say DTS HD MA 5.1 is better verses DD+ streaming
Let´s phrase it like: "has the potential to be better".
What I am going to do is (matching levels) run the same movie that I have viewed many time times and let the ears decide.
What you will most likely compare this way is the different mixes done for the two audio tracks and not the difference between the acutal formats.

Let´s phrase it like: "has the potential to be better".

What you will most likely compare this way is the different mixes done for the two audio tracks and not the difference between the acutal formats.
Fair enough. Then there will be no way to compare.

You could compare some on K, most movies with True HD Atmos also have a Dolby Digital track

For example:
A Haunting in Venice
The Exorcist
Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning

Back