• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Drive rebuild times

Mr.Poindexter

⭐️ Premium ⭐️
Authorized Kaleidescape Dealer
I did a force fail of a hard drive upgrade on a hard drive in my server to move from 4TB drives to 6TB drives, as I didn't want to have two months of having some of my content offline during a replication (60TB of content).

I could have sworn my memory was drive rebuilds taking roughly one day, but this one has been going for a full day and is only about 19% done. Are the rebuild times slower on 4TB and 6TB drives, or is this possibly a slower rebuild because I am replacing a 4TB drive with a 6TB drive and in addition to rebuilding a drive, it is having to move the parity drive from a 4TB drive over to the new 6TB drive?

My server had 13 x 4TB drives and 1 x 6TB. If this takes 5 days to rebuild each drive, I am going to be a bit frustrated as I was hoping to get all the drives free to reinitialize much sooner.

Anybody here do a rebuild on their 4TB drives recently that can share the rebuild time if they remember it?

AFAIK, rebuild times should still be in the 1TB per day range. As you know Mike, these times have improved over the years, but at last check a few months ago we were still at the 1TB.

Jim

I've been doing a replication to 6TB since December 21st or so. It's frustratingly slow (although I'm nearly done - the server I was coming from was my oldest unit with a mix of relatively small drives): I've got smart switches and really wish the Kaleidescape had multiple gigabit ports I could aggregate. Alas...

1TB per day puts the replication process at 2 1/2 months with 6TB drives. I would love to see a system that you could pop all your drives into with the upsized array and have them basically clone each drive in an array to a larger one in a new array. With all the drives running simultaneously, it could upsize an entire server in less than a week - even faster if they can up the 1TB/day limit. It would be AWESOME if they could fix a machine to upsize the drive in a day and have it run all the drives at the same time.

Back