• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Download Speed

sfisher

⭐️ Premium ⭐️
I have a system with 2 Terra servers and am in the process of downloading over 1,000 movies from the Kaleidescape store. I am paying for 200Mbps download speed from my ISP, with no limits or throttling. And when I connect another device to the same switch that my Terras are connected to, I do in fact get more than 200Mbps download speed.

The Terras, however, seem to never show more than 80Mbps download speed.

Kaleidescape support doesn't seem to see any problems, and seem to have given up.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

It seems to be limited to 100Mbps, even if they do not say so.
I can get 100Mbps each with both Premiere and Strato downloading at the same time, but never more than 100Mbps on the Strato by itself.
I went back and forth with support for awhile.

Same here. Strato set to unlimited and Premiere at max 100Mbps, but never more than 100Mbps on the Strato by itself. I can also do simultaneous download and get 100Mbps on both Premiere and Strato. I agree the the Strato seems to be limited to 100Mbps.

I routinely get download speeds of 140 - 145 Mbps with the Strato set to max download speed of 150. Premiere tops off at about 90Mbps. If both are downloading together both these are reduced somewhat, but I haven't done it enough to comment on a typical speed.

Wayne

Interesting. My Alto failed, I sent it to K for replacement/repair and K reloaded my movies for me but none got more than 100mbs. I think it is an internal K thing ---- except for Drhemi above ? Maybe Jim knows !!

Sorry, no answer on my end. I can speculate as others have done, but I don't really have an answer from K engineers, so I'll pass the baton to Mike!!:D

Jim

Interesting. My Alto failed, I sent it to K for replacement/repair and K reloaded my movies for me but none got more than 100mbs. I think it is an internal K thing ---- except for Drhemi above ? Maybe Jim knows !!

Just curious, how much did that cost? I had to really stretch to buy an Alto and am dreading the day it dies.

Keep in mind that repairs and that service are only available while a component is still under warranty. Once the warranty ends, the only option is buying a service kit from K, assuming one exists for the failed component.

Jim

I have a system with 2 Terra servers and am in the process of downloading over 1,000 movies from the Kaleidescape store. I am paying for 200Mbps download speed from my ISP, with no limits or throttling. And when I connect another device to the same switch that my Terras are connected to, I do in fact get more than 200Mbps download speed.

The Terras, however, seem to never show more than 80Mbps download speed.

Kaleidescape support doesn't seem to see any problems, and seem to have given up.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

I previously had 150meg service, now have 400 meg service, and only get 65-75 meg down on Kscape (while I can get full speed on other downloads and speed tests). I have an Alto and Terrra.

Others claim to get higher speeds, so I don't know if there is some latency component beyond just download speeds that results in some getting higher download speeds than others.

I have long wondered if those speed tests give you slightly "juiced" results: your ISP see's you are running the speed test and they work it that you get the fastest possible results. Every time I run one, it starts off a little slower and then it perks up.

I have 125mbps service, they say it will be upgraded to 300 at some point.... heres my last few downloads from the store...

I have 75Mbps from my provider and it tests out at a little above 80mpbs when I do a speedtest check. My downloads have been matching these numbers very closely.

Here are my last few downloads for my 3U:

This whole year my downloads have been very consistent.

John

I have long wondered if those speed tests give you slightly "juiced" results: your ISP see's you are running the speed test and they work it that you get the fastest possible results. Every time I run one, it starts off a little slower and then it perks up.

I have 125mbps service, they say it will be upgraded to 300 at some point.... heres my last few downloads from the store...

I think more than that would be a latency type issue. There is a certain amount of accept/receive type communications that take place when downloading, so that it can resend lost packets and such. The further you are from the server you are downloading from, or more accurately the more latency the slower the perceived, or I guess effective, download speed.

I would hazard to guess that if people getting 150 meg download speeds from Kscape did pings/trace rts we would find that they had lower ping times and fewer network hops that those of use getting 65-85 meg download speeds.

I have a gigabit connection, with an older premiere system (with max download speed from the store of 100mbps).

I typically get anywhere from 60mbps to 99mbps, so if there is network congestion it is likely somewhere between the ISP and the Kaleidescape servers. It varies depending on the time of day too.

I almost always measure > 950mbps when I do speed tests from a variety of sources (including my network tools suite).

Howdy all. We've tweaked a couple of things that might speed up downloads for some folks. I'm not saying run out and try it right now, but keep an eye on it and see if things trend upwards.

I need to understand the details better, but my understanding is that what's been done will not affect everybody, and most likely won't be a dramatic difference.

No tweaking at the K end is going to fix the expensive rubbish internet speeds many of us in Australia suffer. Not that we can download anything from the K-store. But if we could, I think I once worked out it would take about a week to download a single BR movie.

Back